Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New features coming to Apple Music include:
Collaborative playlists (finally, after 8 years of existing, Apple Music finally copies Spotify’s killer feature)
Special video features for karaoke mode
Song Credits (no more checking Tidal for mixer info!)
When using CarPlay, passengers can SharePlay songs into a queue, like a jukebox
and assorted UI/UX changes
Source: Apple previews new features coming to Apple services this fall
I’m running the iPadOS Dev Beta (holding off on phone until the public beta) and those UI changes are… minimal. Animated album art is now consistent across views, and will animate in library, now playing, etc… otherwise more or less the same.
Here’s hoping the Song Credits feature, which doesn’t seem rolled out yet in the beta will come alongside better sorting tools

Finally. Thank you Apple.

I’m running the iPadOS Dev Beta (holding off on phone until the public beta) and those UI changes are… minimal.
Hoping they're also minimal for AppleTV. They do drive me batty with their UI/UX changes that can sometimes take away useful features, or flows in how one interacts with the music.

Finally. Thank you Apple.

Hoping they're also minimal for AppleTV. They do drive me batty with their UI/UX changes that can sometimes take away useful features, or flows in how one interacts with the music.
You *should* be able to try it out for yourself. They’ve opened up the dev branch of the beta for everyone this time around, normally it’s limited to people in the development program.

If you head to the system update portion of settings, seemingly on all Apple devices, and wait a half second, it should pop up an extra box for betas with the dev beta as an option…

Any volunteers?

New features coming to Apple Music include:
Collaborative playlists (finally, after 8 years of existing, Apple Music finally copies Spotify’s killer feature)
Special video features for karaoke mode
When using CarPlay, passengers can SharePlay songs into a queue, like a jukebox
Source: Apple previews new features coming to Apple services this fall
I’m running the iPadOS Dev Beta (holding off on phone until the public beta) and those UI changes are… minimal. Animated album art is now consistent across views, and will animate in library, now playing, etc… otherwise more or less the same.
Here’s hoping the Song Credits feature, which doesn’t seem rolled out yet in the beta will come alongside better sorting tools
Appreciate that rundown! I was trying to find out about changes to AM myself yesterday, and clearly wasn't looking in the right places. Any idea whether the "collaborative playlists" feature will include the ability to privately share a playlist?

Appreciate that rundown! I was trying to find out about changes to AM myself yesterday, and clearly wasn't looking in the right places. Any idea whether the "collaborative playlists" feature will include the ability to privately share a playlist?
I don’t see why that wouldn’t be offered, but of course who knows.

Might be fun to have a communal QQ demo playlist…

Sounds like another accidental early release, like the ABC album a few weeks back. So how'd it turn out?
I think you are right. The SDE Blu-ray release isn't until 7th of July. First impression is really good as you would expect from Steven Wilson. Really spacious and effectful atmos. I seem to remember not especially liking the original mix 30 years back. It was a bit thin sounding. This is something else. Deep bass and well controlled in the high frequencies. Not everything perfect sounding, but probably due to limitations in the original recording rather than Wilson's remix. Looking forward to the SDE release. This should be a great album for lossless.

You *should* be able to try it out for yourself. They’ve opened up the dev branch of the beta for everyone this time around, normally it’s limited to people in the development program.

If you head to the system update portion of settings, seemingly on all Apple devices, and wait a half second, it should pop up an extra box for betas with the dev beta as an option…

Any volunteers?
I just updated to the beta, and I'm not seeing any obvious changes to the UI--and no option (yet) for viewing album or song credits, at least not for the last few items I've added to my library.

Last edited:
Introducing "The Spatial Audio Database", a website that shows the most recent albums and tracks that have been upgraded to Dolby Atmos / Dolby Audio on Apple Music complete with RSS feeds and daily CSV exports:

https://spatialaudiodb.com/
Thanks, looks like a new Ben Dodson site

:LOL: apparently I'm extremely age disabled; from that whole list, I only recognize a couple of artists from the "various Artists" titles.

Last edited:
Introducing "The Spatial Audio Database", a website that shows the most recent albums and tracks that have been upgraded to Dolby Atmos / Dolby Audio on Apple Music complete with RSS feeds and daily CSV exports:

https://spatialaudiodb.com/
Hmm...once Ben implements full functionality--search capabilities, etc.--will that render the poll website that @HomerJAU has been developing partially unnecessary? I doubt Ben will include things like mixer info and ratings, though.

Last edited:
Hmm...once Ben implements full functionality--search capabilities, etc.--will that render the poll website that @HomerJAU has been developing partially unnecessary? I doubt Ben will include mixer info, ratings, etc.
I thought HomerJAU's site was more about creating a type of Poll database for Atmos :unsure:

Any volunteers?
I see @humprof went down that road. I didn’t see the beta option on my AppleTV, although I’d probably be unlikely to pull the trigger. When I worked at Microsoft, we were required to “eat our own dogfood” and use beta versions of everything on our main computers. It lacked what one might call a thrilling experience full of joy and laughter. I’ve kind of shied away from beta software since then. Although I imagine if Apple is making betas more widely available, they’re more stable than what I was used to.

As for “listening to”...

I find solo instrumental albums in Atmos slightly amusing in general, but will admit that when done right it can sound nice.

Back