Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! American Beauty, is one of my all-time favourites! Where is the rest of the album? The 5.1 DVD-A Mixes for this and Workingman’s Dead are hard to beat, perfect in fidelity and mix. These are different. They seem more like the Beach Boys mixes. Still good and glad to have them. I will have to listen tomorrow.
Update: I note Tidal has the same 5 songs but not the album. I can't see any credits for the mix.

Last edited:
Listening to those Dead mixes now. Pretty solid, but nothing groundbreaking mixing wise. Interesting that’s it’s only half of American Beauty (and the hits from it). Wonder if they plan to do the rest (or even… a show).

Dream Atmos Dead shows? 5/7/77 would be great but I think the official release is just the cleaned up Betty Boards which probably don’t have each instrument separated in a way that would be workable…

Edit: my local record stores post their new arrivals in photos on FB, seems like todays the release of some 50th anniversary vinyl reissue of Europe 72, that would be a fun Atmos mix…

Listened to a bit of Grateful Dead...this atmos mix imho is just a travesty!!!
How to f*ckup a great sounding album...whoever mixed this should be fired and step far far away from a mixing board permanely!!!
My impressions are very different from yours on this. I like the Atmos mix - makes me feel like they are all in the room sitting in a circle around me, and the lead vocals are clear and immediate. I didn't sense much in the overhead channels though. I will need to compare to the DVD-A a bit later.

He said to me recently, 'If white noise was in surround, you would be listening to it!!!
Now that would be interesting!
1659124809915.png
produced in 1969 by David Vorhaus, along with BBC Radiophonic Workshop stalwarts Delia Derbyshire & Brian Hodgson. The sleeve does say Special Stereo Effects devised by David Vorhaus - I ought to try it with the SM2!
NB: Its not 3D its 30 years of Island Records!

Some Steve Reich anyone?

Please, someone Atmos-ify Music for 18 Musicians! There’s an SACD with a 5.1 mix but I can find no impressions on it, and $60 for a used copy is steep…

That SACD by the GVSU New Music Ensemble was sort of a missed opportunity to do something appropriately mind-blowing, surround-wise. Heavy ambience in the rears, IIRC. Superb performance, though. And my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer does a nice job with it. I emailed with the label head of Innova Recordings a few years ago and he said they had no plans to do a re-press. @sjcorne: might be an opportunity for IAA there?

Last edited:
Listened to a bit of Grateful Dead...this atmos mix imho is just a travesty!!!
How to f*ckup a great sounding album...whoever mixed this should be fired and step far far away from a mixing board permanely!!!
Interesting take, it sounds pretty good to me - lots of harmony vocals in the tops, and the mandolin in "Ripple" is fully-isolated in the rear height speakers. Electric guitar mostly in rear left and acoustic in rear right. I agree they botched "Sugar Magnolia" though, the steel guitar is barely present.

That SACD by the GVSU New Music Ensemble was sort of a missed opportunity to do something appropriately mind-blowing, surround-wise. Heavy ambience in the rears, IIRC. Superb performance, though. And my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer does a nice job with it. I emailed with the label head of Innova Recordings a few years ago and he said they had no plans to do a re-press. @sjcorne: might be an opportunity for IAA there?
Google found me a pandemic video of the GVSU New Music Ensemble collaborating with Nataly Dawn (whose EP Gardenview is streaming in Atmos; see above) and Jack Conte of Pomplamousse:

Back