Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@humprof @genesplitter interestingly enough, a few folks on Twitter asked where they could find the Atmos mix...back in June 2021, with no response...

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 9.42.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 9.42.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 9.43.11 PM.png

Hopefully just an oversight that nobody from the label (or Phair's camp) followed up on. I also sent an email via Phair's website...

Update: got a reply to my email query this morning. They're aware of the problem and have seen the frustrated messages from fans, but they don't know why things haven't been resolved yet. For some reason, the album was removed from Apple Music soon after it was released "without a lot of explanation," although Brad Wood was assured that it would be restored. That assurance was back in September, though, and there's been no movement since then. So the person who answered me will do some more cage-rattling to try to speed things along. He'd like to hear the Atmos mix himself, and understands that audiophiles and surround enthusiasts are eager to hear it, too.

Last edited:
Update: got a reply to my email query this morning. The short version: they're aware of the problem but don't know why it hasn't been resolved yet. For some reason, the album was removed from Apple Music soon after it was released, though they've been assured that it's due to come back. Sounds like they will do some more cage-rattling to try to speed things along.
Great news! At least they are aware and trying.

Who needs some HEAVY metal in Atmos... :rocks

Rust In Peace by Megadeth

Thanks for this, I would have never realized it was out there otherwise. As one who considers Metallica to be the greatest metal band of all time, I still think this is the best metal album that was ever made. When those solos in Hangar 18 started flying around the room, I was in heaven! Thanks again!

Thanks for this, I would have never realized it was out there otherwise. As one who considers Metallica to be the greatest metal band of all time, I still think this is the best metal album that was ever made. When those solos in Hangar 18 started flying around the room, I was in heaven! Thanks again!
Your welcome!! This Atmos mix is truly a benchmark IMO, truly shows off what can be done with music and surround.

Update: got a reply to my email query this morning. They're aware of the problem and have seen the frustrated messages from fans, but they don't know why things haven't been resolved yet. For some reason, the album was removed from Apple Music soon after it was released "without a lot of explanation," although Brad Wood was assured that it would be restored. That assurance was back in September, though, and there's been no movement since then. So the person who answered me will do some more cage-rattling to try to speed things along. He'd like to hear the Atmos mix himself, and understands that audiophiles and surround enthusiasts are eager to hear it, too.

One more update this morning. The fellow who runs the website has been really kind and diligent with follow-ups, and this morning he relayed this news from Brad Wood: “The label is working to get Atmos and Lossless versions back into Apple Music ASAP. It had to do with an exclusive arrangement Liz made with Amazon and that exclusive period has ended.” No specifics on timing, but it sounds like they're actively working on it.

...next to nothing in the heights, only a little reverb.
I don't consider this a weakness if a mix works for an album. What if the engineer tried isolating some musical elements up there and it sounded weird?
If the mix supplies a good surround experience, I'm happy. I'll relisten and focus on bass. I don't recall a lack, but might have just been focusing on other elements.

I don't consider this a weakness if a mix works for an album. What if the engineer tried isolating some musical elements up there and it sounded weird?
If the mix supplies a good surround experience, I'm happy. I'll relisten and focus on bass. I don't recall a lack, but might have just been focusing on other elements.
It's a good mix, but it ain't Atmos. It might as well been listed as Dolby Audio.

Back