Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES!!!! 🥰

its a blessed relief to hear some real - and decent - Atmos from Warners!!! 🎉

just listening in 7.1 right now fwiw, so no idea what's happening in the Heights, while not the most adventurous mix its nice with dry lead vocals in the Centre, synths and shakers and stuff in the Rears.. phew!! 😅😋

YES!!!! 🥰

its a blessed relief to hear some real - and decent - Atmos from Warners!!! 🎉

just listening in 7.1 right now fwiw, so no idea what's happening in the Heights, while not the most adventurous mix its nice with dry lead vocals in the Centre, synths and shakers and stuff in the Rears.. phew!! 😅😋
Fun song and well done, mix is very complementary to the song. Feels like I'm back in 1979

Anybody manage to get this to play in Atmos? Seems like it might be good, but I can only get stereo out it, even though it's labeled Atmos. Wonder if something went wrong when they were preparing the files for Apple Spatial Audio.
I'm really starting to mistrust my memory... I recall listening to some of this album when it first appeared on Apple in Atmos, and I added it to my library, and you would think I would have noticed if it was only playing out of two speakers. Anyway, I just tried it again, and sure enough as you pointed out @humprof, it's labelled as Atmos and my receiver seems to think it's Atmos, but it only plays in stereo from the front left and right speakers. I'd like to think that this is a recent change and it used to actually play in Atmos, thus redeeming my memory, but I realize that it's more likely always been messed up.

Hey, if dementia is indeed encroaching, I'm going out clueless but happy, surrounded by sound!

Title track only. I think this has been on Tidal for a while, but not Apple? Not Warners fake Atmos--it's an active mix--but also not the original album version:
I've had this track in my "Single Surround Songs" playlist for many months. As I just rued about in my previous post, my untrustworthy memory tells me that when I listened to this at the time, it was the correct original six-minute song. But alas, that can't be, because when I searched QQ for a reference to this song, which would have been where I learned of it to add it to my PL in the first place, I found this post in another thread from a year ago, explaining the current situation exactly, that it's mislabeled and Big Science 2 plays instead of the original song. In fact, @humprof and @Cheezmo both replied to that post at the time, agreeing that it was a botch by Apple (so maybe I'm not the only one with memory limitations? that makes me feel just a little better, thanks!).

Anybody manage to get this to play in Atmos? Seems like it might be good, but I can only get stereo out it, even though it's labeled Atmos. Wonder if something went wrong when they were preparing the files for Apple Spatial Audio.
When I first played this (albeit some time ago) it sounded to me to be so front heavy that I could not tell it to be anything but stereo, however the Atmos signifier was prominently displayed on all tracks. At the time I just put it down to a really bad mix.

From TIDAL. Tracks are DD+ Atmos. I just listened to some few tracks. Fake, Fake Atmos.

Audacity (5.1) (I choosed 04-Bowling to test ) shows that:

L-R : are nearly identical. I.e. Not only Stereo, but it looks like Mono.
C : Completely Silent
LFE : Some content but very very low level
SL : Some very very scarce content. Much low level than LFE
SR : Completely silent.

The original stereo album, looks the same. Both channels look almost identical, like Mono. Only a very few small (very low level) differences. But, completely phase aligned wave forms, with the exactly the same form.

I cannot believe that someone could have mixed this.

For me it looks like an automatic conversion from the stereo to Dolby Atmos format.

If the stereo is almost nearly mono, the automatic upmixers cannot extract anything to other channels.

They didn't add anything to generate, at least, a kind of all channels stereo.

BUT, YES, The format is really Dolby Atmos.

I’m curious with all this fake atmos mixes such as Warner etc. what do people think of apples spatialise stereo mode with AirPods on non atmos stereo tracks?

I used to like it as i felt it added another element to some of my favourite music but after A/B ing on and off I feel that it takes away some low end information from some tracks and also introduces so weird phasey sound of some guitars making it unpleasant to listen to.

And while Alice in chains 2022 Dirt remaster is in atmos I find that it lacks the punch and low end of the remastered stereo version of it.

I’m curious with all this fake atmos mixes such as Warner etc. what do people think of apples spatialise stereo mode with AirPods on non atmos stereo tracks?

I used to like it as i felt it added another element to some of my favourite music but after A/B ing on and off I feel that it takes away some low end information from some tracks and also introduces so weird phasey sound of some guitars making it unpleasant to listen to.

And while Alice in chains 2022 Dirt remaster is in atmos I find that it lacks the punch and low end of the remastered stereo version of it.
I feel like it’s gotten a smidge better after turning on the iOS “personalized spatial audio”, but yeah, I don’t think it’s that great.

I’ll turn it on every once in a while mostly for the novelty, I feel like it strips some of the character of the source material. One of my fav noise/ambient albums Radio Amor by Tim Hecker has this haze to it that’s stripped away entirely when using Spatialize Stereo for example.

The one thing I will give it credit for: when I’ve been watching a livestream of a Phish show and it’s gotten late and I don’t want to disturb my neighbors, I connect my AirPods Max to the Apple TV… and find that I quite enjoy what it does to the in-progress Phish show, though I have to assume part of that is because I don’t have pre-conceived notions of what these jams should sound like.

I've had this track in my "Single Surround Songs" playlist for many months. As I just rued about in my previous post, my untrustworthy memory tells me that when I listened to this at the time, it was the correct original six-minute song. But alas, that can't be, because when I searched QQ for a reference to this song, which would have been where I learned of it to add it to my PL in the first place, I found this post in another thread from a year ago, explaining the current situation exactly, that it's mislabeled and Big Science 2 plays instead of the original song. In fact, @humprof and @Cheezmo both replied to that post at the time, agreeing that it was a botch by Apple (so maybe I'm not the only one with memory limitations? that makes me feel just a little better, thanks!).
At least I sort of remembered that it might have been on Tidal. Maybe.

From TIDAL. Tracks are DD+ Atmos. I just listened to some few tracks. Fake, Fake Atmos.

Audacity (5.1) (I choosed 04-Bowling to test ) shows that:

L-R : are nearly identical. I.e. Not only Stereo, but it looks like Mono.
C : Completely Silent
LFE : Some content but very very low level
SL : Some very very scarce content. Much low level than LFE
SR : Completely silent.

The original stereo album, looks the same. Both channels look almost identical, like Mono. Only a very few small (very low level) differences. But, completely phase aligned wave forms, with the exactly the same form.

I cannot believe that someone could have mixed this.

For me it looks like an automatic conversion from the stereo to Dolby Atmos format.

If the stereo is almost nearly mono, the automatic upmixers cannot extract anything to other channels.

They didn't add anything to generate, at least, a kind of all channels stereo.

BUT, YES, The format is really Dolby Atmos.
Oof. Well, that seems slightly different than what's happening with the Apple version, but at any rate, it's messed up, and I can't believe this one is deliberate.

Back