Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New on Tidal today (so far):

ArtistTitleDate AddedID
Dire StraitsMoney For Nothing (Remastered 2022)2022-10-14252766599
Callista ClarkReal To Me: The Way I Feel2022-10-14252767258
Michael BubléHigher (Deluxe Edition)2022-10-14252838391
Serge GainsbourgAux armes et caetera2022-10-14252847394
Serge GainsbourgMauvaises nouvelles des étoiles2022-10-14252847424
Serge GainsbourgYou're Under Arrest2022-10-14252847447
Serge GainsbourgLove On The Beat2022-10-14253740933
Brigitte BardotBonnie And Clyde2022-10-14252847466
Tom PettyGreatest Hits2022-10-14252931965
Rhiannon GiddensTomorrow Is My Turn2022-10-14253873099
Rhiannon GiddensFreedom Highway2022-10-14253909215
I'm optimistic for the new SpatialMusicReview.com web site if this is an example of the type of data it can harvest for us all.

Then maybe this thread can become a true listening now thread in the QQ tradition.

Thanks for your genius and hard work on all things surround. :bowing:

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
Don't expect too much... especially if you've heard the Brothers In Arms SACD.
Sultans of Swing didn’t do much for me but it gets better as you go through the tracks. The live tracks actually work really well in Atmos (not just ambience in the rears like many live surround mixes), and Private Investigations was really good too.

New on Tidal today (so far):

ArtistTitleDate AddedID
Dire StraitsMoney For Nothing (Remastered 2022)2022-10-14252766599
Callista ClarkReal To Me: The Way I Feel2022-10-14252767258
Michael BubléHigher (Deluxe Edition)2022-10-14252838391
Serge GainsbourgAux armes et caetera2022-10-14252847394
Serge GainsbourgMauvaises nouvelles des étoiles2022-10-14252847424
Serge GainsbourgYou're Under Arrest2022-10-14252847447
Serge GainsbourgLove On The Beat2022-10-14253740933
Brigitte BardotBonnie And Clyde2022-10-14252847466
Tom PettyGreatest Hits2022-10-14252931965
Rhiannon GiddensTomorrow Is My Turn2022-10-14253873099
Rhiannon GiddensFreedom Highway2022-10-14253909215
I'm so stoked about this list--not only for Rhiannon Giddens, Tom Petty, and Dire Straits (yay, Dad Rock!), but because this more or less completes Serge Gainsbourg's studio albums in Atmos. (Of these final five, only Aux armes has made it to Apple so far, but it's just a matter of time.) Blu-Ray box set now, please!

Not my kind of thing, exactly--shades of smooth jazz, spiced (blandly) with r & b. But the typical Blue Note mixing style has also been reimagined here. (Which is to say: it's considerably more adventurous.)
Meanwhile, the Blue Note Leonard Cohen tribute is now up, and musically it's more my style, even if some of the covers are good, many uninspired, one or two slightly misguided. Mix-wise, it's a miss; often hard to discern anything in the heights or the rears.
Finally, Bill Evans does Santa Claus--in a subtle, studio-ambience mix:

Last edited:
Sultans of Swing didn’t do much for me but it gets better as you go through the tracks. The live tracks actually work really well in Atmos (not just ambience in the rears like many live surround mixes), and Private Investigations was really good too.
Money For Nothing is now showing in the US store for me

Madison Cunningham - Revealer (mixed by Phil Levine)
A singer-songwriter, somewhat unusually recommended by a XTC Facebook fan group, because she was supposed to be channeling Andy Partridge. Maaaybe, but I'm hearing more like Suzanne Vega or Sheryl Crow here. Anyway, that's not the deciding factor, as I'm definitely enjoying the whole package.

The first few songs are all strong, and the Atmos mix is subtle but suitably good. What I appreciate most is the pleasantly timeless patina that also lends the material an enticingly mysterious veil. However, this is stripped away starting with the song Who Are You Now – the mix does brighten up, it rocks a bit more, but the acoustic uniqueness somewhat vanishes by now.

Not that this is an exceptional title in Atmos streaming catalog, but I will definitely return mainly to the "Side A" a few more times.
https://tidal.com/album/247378304

This looks tasty, need go deep into this title!

*I remember her from this great song on "The New Basement Tapes", short but sweet.

Just listened to the first track (At the Purchaser's Option) and loving it so far. Great voice and vibe. Her name caught my eye as she just recently had a couple of shows advertised here in Connecticut and I had given some thought to checking her out.

Meanwhile, the Blue Note Leonard Cohen tribute is now up, and musically it's more my style, even if some of the covers are good, many uninspired, one or two slightly misguided. Mix-wise, it's a miss; often hard to discern anything in the heights or the rears.
I'm fan of some of the artists here, so I checked it out and agree. First off, just a little ambience in the surrounds and heights, so not worthy of the Atmos label. Such as shame because it's a well-recorded album in terms of the instruments.

I've heard Peter Gabriel cover "Suzanne" for a different tribute and he did a much better job with that song than "Here it is." After listening to "Hallelujah" by Sarah McLachlan and "Coming Back to You" by James Taylor, it sounds like the album producer asked the artists for their best Leonard Cohen imitation even if they don't fit the artist's personal vocal style. For some reason Norah Jones and David Gray don't seem as forced to me, but I don't see myself revisiting this.

A singer-songwriter, somewhat unusually recommended by a XTC Facebook fan group, because she was supposed to be channeling Andy Partridge. Maaaybe, but I'm hearing more like Suzanne Vega or Sheryl Crow here. Anyway, that's not the deciding factor, as I'm definitely enjoying the whole package.

The first few songs are all strong, and the Atmos mix is subtle but suitably good. What I appreciate most is the pleasantly timeless patina that also lends the material an enticingly mysterious veil. However, this is stripped away starting with the song Who Are You Now – the mix does brighten up, it rocks a bit more, but the acoustic uniqueness somewhat vanishes by now.

Not that this is an exceptional title in Atmos streaming catalog, but I will definitely return mainly to the "Side A" a few more times.
Generally agree with your thoughts. I would add there is some Tori Amos quirkyness at times. I didn't mind the tonal shift too much and ended up enjoying the whole album.

There are some subtle atmos effects. On the first track there are some percussive sounds coming from the heights that at first sounded like my wife was dropping something in the kitchen above me! Same for the last track. Definitely enough in the heights to make it worth a listen.

Another nice Atmos Mix in a similar vein is Aoife O'Donovan's "Age of Apathy":

Last edited:
Ooo--this is very interesting. More adventurous Atmos mix than we hear in most jazz releases. Seems like the bed channels might be reversed on some tracks, though, or else there was an unorthodox mixing decision. Fresu's trumpet (and other lead/solo instruments like piano) are usually four-corners, but often sound louder in the rears than in the fronts. Percussive elements--body of the upright bass struck by hand--are often overhead. One or two tracks have electronically processed trumpet reminiscent of Jon Hassell.

Last edited:

Whoa--did not know about this artist. I'm totally hooked from the first bar of Track 1! Very smart songwriter, very nice mix. Here's an interview on Tidal:
https://tidal.com/magazine/article/madison-cunningham/1-86629
And a profile in Portraits Digital:
https://www.portraitsdigital.com/madisoncunningham

Back