Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

cdheer

I am glad you mentioned Netflix, I seem to get popping/cracking sound in my speakers only with Netflix shows that are Dolby Atmos, most of the time somewhat annoying, but when I was watching the series F1: Drive To Survive, it was really bad, maybe because more LFE, roar of engines, etc. Could be my Dynamic Range setting on my Pre/Pro didn't like it?
This is a known issue with Netflix on the ATV4K. Not everyone experiences it, but nobody has figured out why as of yet.

Netflix is almost certainly aware of it, but there's no telling when it will be fixed.

himey

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
You could have just said "although I'm not him, I'll speak for him and say, yes, I think he meant multi-channel steaming".
It's right their multiple times...and it was obvious.

How is the mix?
(Regarding Florence + Machine): Just had a very short listen on a 5.1 system. It certainly sounds like it is worth listening to. First impression: Warm sounding mix. Seems like it's done properly. Maybe a little conservative conserning back/heights? Need to listen a bit more in Atmos.

MrSmithers

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
After a long time streaming Atmos I have experienced that pushing the rears +6db often helps. Not any release but much of them have rear-levels too low. Don‘t know why.
blimey 6dB feels like a lot.. 😱

have you tried measuring with an SPL using something like these test tracks before upping the Rears 6dB?

edited small typo 🤦‍♀️😅🤣

Last edited:

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Nice! Unfortunately it seems to be a different mix to the original Atmos single of Stop! In The Name Of Love. This is a bit more front focused, mixed by Gary Lux. You can compare it to the earlier one mixed by Dustin Richardson here...

Apple Music - Stop! In the Name of Love by The Supremes
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/186517461
oh! that older version's totally different! and its missing the organ swell at the beginning!

(and i do like a big organ swell at the start of a 3 minute workout! 😅 )

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I have no problems with 5.1 or quad mixes. But many Atmos mixes have the rears too low in volume.
Kool & The Gang's "Celebration" in Atmos has a round the room pan (funky guitar riff goes round and round at various points throughout the track) handy for checking levels and balances 🙂

perzon57

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have no problems with 5.1 or quad mixes. But many Atmos mixes have the rears too low in volume.
I never felt the need to raise the volume for the rears for any of the mixes I listen to. If the surrounds and surround backs are low in volume, to me that's a bad Atmos mix so I just skip it. :cool:

PurpleMoustache

Stumbled upon these due to a stray post by Christopher Willits (founder/owner of the Envelop 36 channel system/software), saying his binaural album Horizon (Horizon by Christopher Willits) is 5 years old.

That’s not in Atmos, but his previous post before that was him saying he’s been contracted by a label to mix 3 of their releases in Atmos:

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova

Last edited: