Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/let-go-20th-anniversary-edition/1626353802Listening to this one now. Happy to report this is exceeding my expectations by a fairly massive margin. Quite a well thought out mix even on power chord driven (and somewhat sinlgle dimensional songs such as ‘skaterboi’.) Virtual applause to whomever mixed this . Didn’t expect to keep on listening this one- so as an artist you’d presumably be stoked with that type of outcome.

Interested in your thoughts. I just listened to whole album and loved it.
I liked it very much. I don't think the streaming sound is quite as powerful sounding as the Legend blu-ray 5.1 mix but now we get the full album(s)! Yayyy!!!

There was something I found funny during my first listen to the first track, Natural Mystic. At about 1:35 into the song, a percussion clicky sound in the left rear above my left shoulder that is mixed louder than I recall hearing before. The clicking sounded like it could be something hitting the sheet rock of my wall/ceiling above/behind me. I had problems last year with rodents in my attic that I heard scuttling around over wiring etc and making a similar sound...but this was in time with the music. I had to pause the song to make sure I wasn't hearing another rodent had returned.... and "jamming" with the music!!! Nope, it was just the new mix, so I walked around listening to the sound from the speakers in my room. Outside of my listening position, I could hear the clicking sound coming from a couple of speakers, but seated it is magically up in my ceiling/wall. :oops: :rolleyes: o_O :ROFLMAO: :giggle: 🎶

I liked it very much. I don't think the streaming sound is quite as powerful sounding as the Legend blu-ray 5.1 mix but now we get the full album(s)! Yayyy!!!
I've only compared the two versions of the Legend hits comp (Bob Clearmountain's 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray and Nick Rives' Atmos mix on Apple/Tidal) - I like how the horns and some percussion pop up in the height speakers, but the Atmos mix is very dry and a bit lifeless-sounding in comparison to the 5.1. Listen to the backing vocals in "Jamming", they're treated with lots of reverb/delay in the 5.1 whereas they're just kind of 'there' and flat-sounding in the Atmos. I also thought I heard a percussion part in the rear speakers during "Exodus" on the 5.1 mix that was missing entirely from the Atmos mix.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've only compared the two versions of the Legend hits comp (Bob Clearmountain's 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray and Nick Rives' Atmos mix on Apple/Tidal) - I like how the horns and some percussion pop up in the height speakers, but the Atmos mix is very dry and a bit lifeless-sounding in comparison to the 5.1. Listen to the backing vocals in "Jamming", they're treated with lots of reverb/delay in the 5.1 whereas they're just kind of 'there' and flat-sounding in the Atmos. I also thought I heard a percussion part in the rear speakers during "Exodus" on the 5.1 mix that was missing entirely from the Atmos mix.
I share completely your view about Legend, I keep on playing the Blu-ray and never returned to the streaming Atmos version. Yet the fidelity and sound quality of Exodus is much better than Legend, IMHO (listening in Apple Music)

Anyone for some Whitney? Debut album! Edit: 2nd album. Hopefully the debut is coming soon...

https://music.apple.com/us/album/whitney/840431884
This Atmos mix was released 35 years to the day that the album was released, yet with no fanfare (I doubt it was just a coincidence). I wonder if other future Whitney Houston Atmos mixes will be similarly timed to album release anniversaries.

Back