Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Velvet Underground and Nico added today to Apple Music. On second song, mainly echo and reverb on the rears. Why do they take the effort to do any shitty mixes like this?
I wouldn't expect anything too adventurous for an album recorded in 1966 (4-track?) on a shoestring budget. Maybe they'll go on to do the later ones, the 5.1 mix of Loaded was great.

I wouldn't expect anything too adventurous for an album recorded in 1966 (4-track?) on a shoestring budget. Maybe they'll go on to do the later ones, the 5.1 mix of Loaded was great.

I am disappointed with the Arcade Fire and it is a 2022 release. Wolfmother isn't good either. Lots of good releases so I don't get hung up on the bad stuff. Doors stuff and Wet Leg are pleasant surprises.

Accidentally posted this in the Dolby Audio thread but it is Atmos. Hoping to see his other DTS releases in Atmos soon!

https://music.apple.com/us/album/ten-summoners-tales/1415203729
Thanks for sharing this! I checked it out last night and I enjoyed it but it's not a very exciting mix. It doesn't seem to be a simple upmix of the old DTS mix and has elements in different places. It also includes Everybody Laughed But You which was a b-side in the US and wasn't on the DTS disc. The second half is a bit more adventurous than the first but I had to play Bryan Ferry's Boys and Girls to scratch my surround itch afterwards.

Last edited:
I ordered this earlier today after reading these posts. After listening to it on Apple Music I cancelled my order. Good mix, but boring music without vocals. The two other BD's I have are way better.
After listening to Movements on Apple Music I have to say that as good as it sounds (fantastic Atmos mix, great fidelity with deep, deep bass) it just doesn't cross the threshold of 'must own' for me. Musically, it just doesn't resonate, and actually becomes a bit fatiguing about 3/4 through. A year or two ago, when Atmos mixes were relatively rare and no services like Apple Music and Tidal were streaming Atmos, this might have been an instant blind purchase...but no longer. Sadly I can't buy everything, and as much as I'm reluctant to say this, the streaming model for experiencing a greater volume and diversity of surround music has become a very viable and much more affordable one for me.

After listening to Movements on Apple Music I have to say that as good as it sounds (fantastic Atmos mix, great fidelity with deep, deep bass) it just doesn't cross the threshold of 'must own' for me. Musically, it just doesn't resonate, and actually becomes a bit fatiguing about 3/4 through. A year or two ago, when Atmos mixes were relatively rare and no services like Apple Music and Tidal were streaming Atmos, this might have been an instant blind purchase...but no longer. Sadly I can't buy everything, and as much as I'm reluctant to say this, the streaming model for experiencing a greater volume and diversity of surround music has become a very viable and much more affordable one for me.
I have their 2 other BD's with Atmos and I like them both, but this was boring after some songs. I miss vocals as they had on the other BD's. Even though the mix is top notch, the songs aren't good enough.

So at first I thought I would try Tidal atmos as it was supported by my Amazon Fire Cube 2nd generation. And it sounded okay but the process of finding Atmos music is cluttered at best.

I broke down and purchased the Apple TV 4K for the same purpose, streaming Atmos audio. $149 on sale at Amazon right now. Fortunately I do have a subscription to Apple Music so no extra expense there.

My initial impression is two fold. First, finding Atmos is way easier on Apple. I haven't searched on Atmos, but it offers up Atmos versions of albums when available. And the selection is deeper than Tidal as far as I can tell.

Second, and equally important, to my ears the Apple version sounds a bit better. I have no idea why; I presume the signal is less compressed.

When the Tidal trial ends I probably won't renew. I paid $6 for a two month period so it really was not free; but unlikely to go for the full $20 version when that period ends.

Must say getting the Apple TV 4K to work with my receiver was not super easy. I ended up having to change up HDMI cables, directly feeding the Apple TV to the Sony Bravia, changing to the lowest resolution HDMI that made sense, then going back to the receiver. Finally got it working, then took resolution back up using the auto magic HDMI settings.

When the Tidal trial ends I probably won't renew.
Good for you, I will continue to oppose Tidal as long as they keep going forward with their support of the audio snake-oil called MQA.
Strange you had any problem with the Apple TV 4k. I connected mine to my Marantz pre-pro with a Monoprice HDMI cable and everything just worked? Anyway, all's well that ends well, enjoy all that awesome Atmos music, I'm in love with their catalog.

Shania Twain, The Woman in Me. Dolby Atmos from Apple Music, this has a fantastisc Atmos mix, every speaker used to the full. :cool:
Thanks for the post. You know at home you are alone in this hobby when….. my wife’s favourite artist is Shania, so I tell her that it’s now up in Dolby Atmos on Apple Music and she proceeds to turn on the HomePod for a listen :)

Shania Twain, The Woman in Me. Dolby Atmos from Apple Music, this has a fantastisc Atmos mix, every speaker used to the full. :cool:
Yeah, I'll file this one under "guilty pleasure". The Atmos mix is indeed great, I loved the swirling fiddle in "Any Man Of Mine" and backing vocals from the ceiling in "If You're Not In It For Love". Sound quality is really good too, it doesn't get fatiguing as you turn up the volume. I'm surprised they did chose to remix this album and not its mega-hit follow-up Come On Over.

You know it’s going to be a good Atmos mix from the first note, you get that full Apple digital master like sound.

Yeah, I'll file this one under "guilty pleasure". The Atmos mix is indeed great, I loved the swirling fiddle in "Any Man Of Mine" and backing vocals from the ceiling in "If You're Not In It For Love". Sound quality is really good too, it doesn't get fatiguing as you turn up the volume. I'm surprised they did chose to remix this album and not its mega-hit follow-up Come On Over.
I reckon it‘s coming soon.

The fidelity is really nice on this and mix is better than average for sure. A reference Atmos streaming album.
Yeah it's a Mills Logan mix. As soon as you see his name you know it's going to be a gooden. There was some discussion about his mixing last year...
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/listening-to-now-in-dolby-atmos.28410/post-563831Hopefully Come On Over and Up! get the same treatment too... 🤠

Last edited:
Urgent news!! 🤤🤣🎸

(sorry for adding some of these one by one, some didn't come up when i searched for them earlier for some reason 👀 )

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/urgent/284531685?i=284531775
Urgent update! 📰

There's a couple more Foreigner Atmos tracks from the album 4 out now... :)

On Apple Music they only seem to be in a 'Best Of' rather then the actual album for the time being...

Juke Box Hero
Apple Music - Juke Box Hero by Foreigner
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/228301025

Waiting For A girl Like You
Apple Music - Waiting for a Girl Like You by Foreigner
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/228301071

Looks like some more Rolling Stones in Atmos...

This time a live concert mixed by Bob Clearmountain. Couple of sample tracks and released next month

Apple Music - Live At The El Mocambo by The Rolling Stones
Tidal - Live At The El Mocambo
The full album is out now... :p

1652442247619.png

Not too bad for a live album from 1977, the crowd sound quite cool dotted around. But there's only so much you can really do with this type of recording.

Let's hope they'll be some proper classic studio Atmos releases soon... (Tattoo You was clearly just an upmix, or only the binaural mix got published somehow?)

Sticky Fingers could be a good contender given it was it's 50th anniversary last year but might've been held up...

Jack Johnson - Meet The Moonlight

1280x1280-25.jpg

Two tracks available from the new album, released 24th June. Wow, I really like the mixes on these. Intelligent and fully immersive. The double tracked vocals are placed in different parts of the room. Atmos mix by Robert Carranza, original engineer from previous releases.

Hope the rest of the album follows suit and there's an Atmos version of In Between Dreams in the pipeline too.

Apple Music - Meet The Moonlight by Jack Johnson
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/224019778 / https://tidal.com/browse/track/228050510

Last edited:
The full album is out now... :p

View attachment 78769

Not too bad for a live album from 1977, the crowd sound quite cool dotted around. But there's only so much you can really do with this type of recording.

Let's hope they'll be some proper classic studio Atmos releases soon... (Tattoo You was clearly just an upmix, or only the binaural mix got published somehow?)

Sticky Fingers could be a good contender given it was it's 50th anniversary last year but might've been held up...
Tattoo You was not (clearly or otherwise) an upmix or binaural mix... :rolleyes:

Tattoo You was not (clearly or otherwise) an upmix or binaural mix... :rolleyes:
It is my opinion that it was... The ‘mix’ is credited to Stan Kybert - who has done some excellent Atmos work on Greta Van Fleet - The Battle at Garden’s Gate and Sigrid - How To Let Go.

I can’t see how or why he would choose to vary creatively in such a random way. Tattoo You was never announced with an Atmos mix on the physical boxset, compared to Goats Head Soup which had a mix done in advance by Giles Martin. It suggests that this was therefore hastily done to satisfy the ‘Spatial Audio’ section/crowd who notice the Atmos marker but would only be listening on headphones.

Back