Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some nice ambient soundscapes.

What’s interesting about this release… most of it was AI generated. There’s an app called Endel (which charges far too much in a monthly sub, for what it does, imo) that AI generates music based on location, weather data, and if you’re wearing a smart watch and give it permission, your movement and heart data.

James Blake apparently “collaborated” with the algorithm for this album. Neat that they could get the AI to spit out Atmos (or more likely, stems that an Atmos engineer can work with).

https://music.apple.com/us/album/wind-down/1624135737

Last edited:
Harry Styles' new album is in Atmos - at least on Amazon. I can't link to it as I don't use Apple but there are two things to note before I've even started to listen.

1) He's signed to Columbia and therefore Sony. Normally the immersive mix would be in their 360 format. Is this an indication that the Dolby format is gaining popularity and that even Sony want to get on board?

2) Greg Penny has mixed Harry Styles' work before and was even nominated for a Grammy because of it. I'm hoping this means he's done this mix too but I can never seem to find information like that on Amazon' music's credits.

Last edited:
Harry Styles' new album is in Atmos - at least on Amazon. I can't link to it as I don't use Apple but two there are two things to note before I've even started to listen.

1) He's signed to Columbia and therefore Sony. Normally the immersive mix would be in their 360 format. Is this an indication that the Dolby format is gaining popularity and that even Sony want to get on board?

2) Greg Penny has mixed Harry Styles' work before and was even nominated for a Grammy because of it. I'm hoping this means he's done this mix too but I can never seem to find information like that on Amazon' music's credits.
I’m surprised no one posted this album sooner.

I dare you to throw on track one at 5db’s more than usual listening volume and not have a spontaneous smile. An accompished mix on what I predict will one day be a classic pop track.

Harry Styles' new album is in Atmos - at least on Amazon. I can't link to it as I don't use Apple but there are two things to note before I've even started to listen.

I dare you to throw on track one at 5db’s more than usual listening volume and not have a spontaneous smile. An accompished mix on what I predict will one day be a classic pop track.

I’ve found here an interesting Atmos mix. It looks like a flat 2D (without tops or very little), but with quite good immersion and discrete for different elements.

First impresions after quick listening:

Center is not used for voice. Just only for the beats of the kick drum.

Main Vocals: only from the wides (9.1.4). No vocals on fronts, neither on surrounds. It looks like fixed bed channels. I assume the vocals will span between fronts and surrounds on a 7.1.4. This gives a very good wide stereo for vocals, not inside the head as when only on side surrounds.

Fronts and Surrounds: Some discrete components of the music, giving good immersion.

Surround Backs: used for chorus and some music.

Tops: Little or nothing on the heights. Some echoes or chorus sometimes.

The overall immersion on my 9.1.4 home cinema is good enough.

I wonder if this could be a kind of 'wide stereo' mixing style appropriate for listening with headphones, when converted Atmos to binaural.

I’ve found here an interesting Atmos mix. It looks like a flat 2D (without tops or very little), but with quite good immersion and discrete for different elements.

First impresions after quick listening:

Center is not used for voice. Just only for the beats of the kick drum.

Main Vocals: only from the wides (9.1.4). No vocals on fronts, neither on surrounds. It looks like fixed bed channels. I assume the vocals will span between fronts and surrounds on a 7.1.4. This gives a very good wide stereo for vocals, not inside the head as when only on side surrounds.

Fronts and Surrounds: Some discrete components of the music, giving good immersion.

Surround Backs: used for chorus and some music.

Tops: Little or nothing on the heights. Some echoes or chorus sometimes.

The overall immersion on my 9.1.4 home cinema is good enough.

I wonder if this could be a kind of 'wide stereo' mixing style appropriate for listening with headphones, when converted Atmos to binaural.
Hmm not a fan of HS but I’ll have to check this out

I’m surprised no one posted this album sooner.

OK Atmos mix, but didn't do nothing for me music wise. Went for Limp Bizkit instead. ;)

Highly recommended African jazz fusion album. Good Atmos mix.

Nduduzo Makhathini - In The Spirit Of Ntu
Immersive Mix Engineer: Johan van der Colff
https://tidal.com/album/230060916
600x600bb.jpg

Last edited:
Back