Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see an 80s play list, I just hope they release the full albums that some of those tracks are on in Atmos.
By the way who is actually mixing these tracks in Atmos?
Well I just found out who mixed and the reason why it's so good.
1656825284952.png

Californian Dreaming would have to be the strangest Atmos mix of all time, 90% of the song is from the rears, only 1 male voice is from the right front. Put your ear to the speaker and the voice is all you hear.
This is even more of a trip listening with headphones, I’ve only got the basic wired Apple ear buds and with most of the song mixed in the height channels you think your ears are on your head.

In the Twitter replies to his news about this mix someone mentions Hold Me Now by the Thompson Twins also being available in Atmos. But I’m darned if I can find it. I’ve auditioned all the versions on iTunes but they’re all just lossless.

i also can't find The Thompson Twins in Atmos on Apple Music either and i've had a good look as well, there's more versions than i was expecting! 😅 sometimes these mixes appear first on Tidal, i'll have a mooch around on there in a bit 🧐

I did not expect to see this in atmos. Solo violin? Contemporary composers?
https://music.apple.com/us/album/this-is-america-an-anthology-2020-2021/1631465161Hard to tell in Apple Music but quite a murderers' row of composers, starting with Clarice Assad (that family!). If you like that sort of thing :)
https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/63/000151236.pdf

Great compilation, but I think the Dolby Surround Upmixer could do a better job with the Atmos mix. Even on the opening track, which incorporates a chorus of voices, there's virtually nothing going on in the rears & heights.

Reactions: mkt
Great compilation, but I think the Dolby Surround Upmixer could do a better job with the Atmos mix. Even on the opening track, which incorporates a chorus of voices, there's virtually nothing going on in the rears & heights.

its no justification for an unadventurous, static or even underwhelming mix but this is a phenomenon going all the way back to Quad, hopefully its not a trend and is just a blip!

Confirmed. No sound in the center except for Summer of 69. There are sound in the heights. Not sure about the sub signal as I feed mine with L+R front, but it streches all the way down including the sub region. Not a common choice, but sounds OK. If anything the main vocal is a bit too loud. I prefer the 5.1 mix, but have to admit I did some adjustments on that one before I really enjoyed it. It seemed to lack the final touch of a good mastering engineer, like small adjustments in level and eq. Bob Clearmountain is best in co-op with Bob Ludwig IMHO.

Re: Bryan Adams 'Reckless' Atmos, the really weird/surprising thing is Clearmountain apparently *didn't* do these mixes.

Tidal 'Reckless' Atmos mix credits - Try the TIDAL Web Player

Just a guess but maybe whoever was paying decided to go cheap.

Bob's fee is not I suspect.

But I bet he's peeved somebody besides him got mixes out for this record.

Re: Bryan Adams 'Reckless' Atmos, the really weird/surprising thing is Clearmountain apparently *didn't* do these mixes.

he tends to use the Centre channel quite prominently so if the new mixes don't have much going on in the Centre that may be an indication of the new Atmos mixes not being his work? fwiw i don't think he did the Bob Marley Atmos mixes either despite doing the Legend 5.1 mixes.

Back