Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While browsing gearspace.com today, an audio pro forum, I stumbled upon an interesting conversation. This specific conversation between sound engineers touches on multiple aspects with Atmos that often are discussed in this forum like headphone vs. speakers, why some atmos mixes are close the stereomix and not very immersive, demoing, music vs. cinema and so on. One of the persons discussing is John Hanes known for many great surround mixes. Hope it is ok to link to this forum. You don't need a user to read. One song Hanes mentions is Imagine Dragons' "Enemy" from their latest album Mercury Acts 1 & 2. I include a link to the single version which sound a little different (same song, but other mastering I guess).

https://gearspace.com/board/vr-virt...snt-achieved-what-technology-promises-us.html

While browsing gearspace.com today, an audio pro forum, I stumbled upon an interesting conversation. This specific conversation between sound engineers touches on multiple aspects with Atmos that often are discussed in this forum like headphone vs. speakers, why some atmos mixes are close the stereomix and not very immersive, demoing, music vs. cinema and so on. One of the persons discussing is John Hanes known for many great surround mixes. Hope it is ok to link to this forum. You don't need a user to read. One song Hanes mentions is Imagine Dragons' "Enemy" from their latest album Mercury Acts 1 & 2. I include a link to the single version which sound a little different (same song, but other mastering I guess).

https://gearspace.com/board/vr-virt...snt-achieved-what-technology-promises-us.html
Interesting. Thank you.

Exciting as it is to have more classic BJ in surround, the Atmos mix has kind of a cheap feel to it - it's like the stereo mix in the front with the occasional burst of activity in the rears, like the sound effects in "Allentown" or strings in "Laura" and "Goodnight Saigon." The center and heights are mostly silent. Definitely not a Frank Filipetti mix...

Billy Joel - The Nylon Curtain (Tidal ID: 249553106)

Does Tidal say who did the mix?

It's a strange one (at least when downmixed to 5.1). Other than the factory sound effects, "Allentown" has almost nothing happening in the rears. Thankfully other songs are (to varying degrees) a bit more ambitious. Some of it is a bit clumsy. The chorus vocals on "Goodnight Saigon" come blasting out of the rears. Surprisingly, the most subtle song on the album, "Where's the Orchestra", is probably the one with the most ambitious mix.
Exciting as it is to have more classic BJ in surround, the Atmos mix has kind of a cheap feel to it -

Yeah. It's great to see Billy's catalog getting some Atmos love.....but this is his most ambitious album. It deserves a really ambitious mix. One has to wonder what Elliot Scheiner would have done with it.

Last edited:
Most excellent find! And it gets even better as Man In The Box is everything I wanted him to be in Atmos (We Die Young not so much). It blows the mixes on the Music Bank DVD (or the best of SACD) right out of the muddy water.
Nothing on Tidal yet.
Unfortunately these are on Tidal in Sony 360 rather than Atmos. 😩

Most excellent find! And it gets even better as Man In The Box is everything I wanted him to be in Atmos (We Die Young not so much). It blows the mixes on the Music Bank DVD (or the best of SACD) right out of the muddy water.
Nothing on Tidal yet.
The Man In The Box Atmos mix is great, however the "SHUT!" that Layne screams after each chorus just seems to be missing entirely. Almost kind of spoils the song for me.

Back