Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Man In The Box Atmos mix is great, however the "SHUT!" that Layne screams after each chorus just seems to be missing entirely. Almost kind of spoils the song for me.
My theory is that those vocal ad-libs were done live to the stereo mix, so they don't exist on the multitrack.

My theory is that those vocal ad-libs were done live to the stereo mix, so they don't exist on the multitrack.
Didn't even think of that! Can anyone confirm if the ad-libs are on the SACD mix or Music Bank DVD? Are they both the same mix? Never bothered to track either of them down as I heard they sound horrible even though I love AIC.

Another preview track added to the new Bjork this morning:

Also to the Blue Note Leonard Cohen tribute:

The entire Caroline Shaw/Attacca Quartet album Evergreen dropped today. Not clear whether the mix is by the same person who did such a brilliant job on Let the Soil Play Its Simple Part (Shaw's collaborative album with So Percussion from last year) or by Warners' go-to fake-Atmos guy, who on his website lists Shaw/Attaca among the artists he's mixed. My first-blush impression is the latter. It's not quite all-channel stereo, and arguably there's only so much you can do with a string quartet and vocals anyway, but it still sounds like a stereo rather than an immersive mix, slanted towards the fronts and front heights, with slight decays/reverbs as you move towards the back of the room. A great album regardless. Start with the track "Other Song" if you're doubtful:

Sudan Archives' sophomore album. Haven't listened to the mix yet [edit: now I have; it's REALLY good!], but this is already one of the most talked-about discs of the year:

And for the EDM crowd, one of a whole series of "Tomorrowland" sets by different DJs:

Last edited:

Pretty funny. She had a song called "For What It's Worth" on her In Dreams album. This is not that, it is a cover of the Buffalo Springfield song.

But the lyrics that show while it is playing on the AppleTV/iPhone are the In Dreams version lyrics. With a "written by Stephen Stills" credit at the end, no less.

Oof.

Billy's Facebook page posted that today is the 40th anniversary of the album's release. They made no mention of the Atmos mix. Makes you wonder if he and/or his management are even aware it.

OK....no sooner than I make the above post, Billy's Facebook page mentions the Atmos mix! Are you lurking here, Billy? If so, release the quads of Turnstiles & Piano Man!

A twofer post from me: an album… and HARDWARE impressions.

First the album; an Orchestral arrangement of all 25 Bond themes, no vocals:

And second; today is the launch day of the new AirPods Pro Generation 2. Keep in mind I’ve had them for… half a day, so these are very much first impressions

I got mine with my face on them!

90C6F2D2-0403-485E-BAC5-804C1E608582.jpeg

These are interesting in that… they don’t reinvent the wheel… but improve on it.

Let’s start with sound. The H1 chip powering the AirPods and Beats line has had its first revision, the H2, which Apple claims has “better quality audio” (sadly, not lossless as rumored), “2x more powerful noise cancellation”, and not on the site but alleged in their presentation: better Atmos support.

If there is better Atmos support… it’s hard to tell. Heights seem a tad more defined, but overall everything (including Atmos) sounds just a bit more “natural”, and there’s a good reason for that. To explain, I’ll hand it over to Crinacle, who runs In Ear Fidelity, the worlds largest publicly available IEM and headphone graphing and rating database:

The new drivers are tuned to a neutral target, which is my preferred sound signature for headphones! I always loved the first Gen for their ability to effectively “dissolve”. You forget you’re even wearing them. Now, not only do they “dissolve” but they sound so much more natural.

There’s a bunch of other Quality of Life upgrades too: the case now has a speaker and an AirTag built in for when you lose it, it can charge with an Apple Watch charging puck, and the stems can be stroked (😳) for volume control.

I ultimately upgraded as my launch Gen 1’s had an issue that had an active recall that I had serviced once… and needed again (worth noting this only affected units made in Oct 2019), and was too lazy to do servicing again. If you don’t have AirPods Pro already it’s worth it. If you do… it’s probably worth it, but not a night and day difference.

The big test here is next weekend I have to fly to Alabama for my brothers wedding… I’ll be putting both the over-ear AirPods Max and these “2x more powerful noise cancelling” AirPods Pro to the test with cabin noise…

Back