Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't show up for me like that. The Masters show up but not the 360's. Thanks a lot for the link!
Another tip to find 360 and atmos versions in Tidal that you know are there but don't show under 'Albums > show all' for that artist: Choose a stereo version of the album, then choose 'Other albums by' (or something similar, mine is Norwegian). Other versions are now showing.

Does Tidal say who did the mix?

It's a strange one (at least when downmixed to 5.1). Other than the factory sound effects, "Allentown" has almost nothing happening in the rears. Thankfully other songs are (to varying degrees) a bit more ambitious. Some of it is a bit clumsy. The chorus vocals on "Goodnight Saigon" come blasting out of the rears. Surprisingly, the most subtle song on the album, "Where's the Orchestra", is probably the one with the most ambitious mix.

Yeah. It's great to see Billy's catalog getting some Atmos love.....but this is his most ambitious album. It deserves a really ambitious mix. One has to wonder what Elliot Scheiner would have done with it.
I agree, The Nylon Curtain mix could have been spectacular in the right hands. But it's not that bad, and I'm really enjoying it at the moment. A lot of that is the fact that this is an album I listened to a lot when it came out, and then hardly at all since. At the time I probably taped it from a library LP, those were my poor college student days, and later I never bought it on CD, not sure why... anyway it's bringing back a lot of memories, and I'd forgotten how Beatles-y it is, in a good way. It's a little bass-heavy on my 5.1 system, and yes there are a few awkward mixing choices; it's nowhere near the quality of the 52nd Street and The Stranger SACDs. But it sounds much better than my homemade cassette of scratched-up library vinyl did! More like this, please...

I just found Alice In Chains Facelift and Dirt in Atmos. Pretty sure this is brand new?

Interested to hear some more opinions on these as I went from ecstasy to crying listening to these.

To start in listening in 5.1, though downmixing from atmos has never seemed to cause me an issue previously.

The guitars, overdubs and voice box etc. panning around are epic and the type of mix I've been wanting for ages. But then Jerry Cantrell / backing vocals during the chorus come in, seemingly just in the rears, and drown out everything. Seems way to loud and not very well "blended" (for want of a better word). Obviously knocking down the rears loses all the other amazing stuff which seems at the right level. Gutted.

Is this a result of the downmix, anyone else experiencing this?

I listened to two APPLE ATMOS last night, WOW Alice In Chains-Dirt is fantastic.
Billy Joel-Nylon Curtain, great 5.1, I admit I only listened to the first two tracks, although a Dolby Atmos signal, the signal was not strong enough to kick on my dedicated 4 channel height amp, again only two tracks.
This is what happens a few times on streaming, there is just not that much in heights, but the 5.1 can be really good. I will have to give Billy Joel a full listen and come back and edit this comment.

Billy Joel-Nylon Curtain, great 5.1, I admit I only listened to the first two tracks, although a Dolby Atmos signal, the signal was not strong enough to kick on my dedicated 4 channel height amp, again only two tracks.
This is what happens a few times on streaming, there is just not that much in heights, but the 5.1 can be really good. I will have to give Billy Joel a full listen and come back and edit this comment.

I don't have an Atmos setup so I have only listened to The Nylon Curtain in 5.1. The first song ("Allentown") has almost nothing happening in the surround field. Things get better as the album goes on. The last four songs being particularly good.

I don't have an Atmos setup so I have only listened to The Nylon Curtain in 5.1. The first song ("Allentown") has almost nothing happening in the surround field. Things get better as the album goes on. The last four songs being particularly good.
I did think the steel sounds where cool and I never noticed in Allentown that they carried on at the very end.

Interested to hear some more opinions on these as I went from ecstasy to crying listening to these.

To start in listening in 5.1, though downmixing from atmos has never seemed to cause me an issue previously.

The guitars, overdubs and voice box etc. panning around are epic and the type of mix I've been wanting for ages. But then Jerry Cantrell / backing vocals during the chorus come in, seemingly just in the rears, and drown out everything. Seems way to loud and not very well "blended" (for want of a better word). Obviously knocking down the rears loses all the other amazing stuff which seems at the right level. Gutted.

Is this a result of the downmix, anyone else experiencing this?
I agree with your thoughts, at times it’s incredible to finally hear these songs opened up like this, others the balancing is way off. Something I found interesting is I found both opening tracks off Facelift and Dirt, We Die Young and Them Bones, respectively to not be very good and then the mixes got better as the album went along. I do like the panning of the tambourine in We Die Young though, nice touch.

Standout mixes would be the acoustic guitars in Down In A Hole and Sickman.

Back