Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New episode (issue?) of One Mix, the Apple Music DJ mix series that gets Atmos mixes. This one comes from an artist who put out an acclaimed IDM/downtempo album the other month that I always meant to get to but never did.

Ninja edit; that album isn’t released under her name but under the project name Whatever the Weather. Stereo only (…for now?) but I liked the pre-release tracks I heard.

I do not agree on your statement, #The only good Atmos albums on Apple are the ones that come directly from a physical disc.# Many of the best Atmos mixes on Apple Music are only on streaming, that's why I have it. Mixes from Tom Petty, Def Leppard, Grateful Dead, Tory Amos, Ozzy, William Orbit, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Five Finger Death Punch and Keith Urban are real good Atmos mixes not from disc. There ar several more too.
Tom Petty Wildflowers Atmos is gone? I can't find it any longer on AM

Was looking for new Atmos Music and found a play list called Favourite Mix for me. Saved it and tried it out today, lots of Atmos songs that that I've been playing lately and some of them not for a long time. It was a nice surprise created by Apple Music for me. Will be updated every Tuesday, it says. Usually I don't care for playlists, because there's usually to many songs I don't like, but this is something else. :)

I get the sense that the release schedule is a bit haphazard. Remember how only half of The Dead's American Beauty was streaming in Atmos about a month prior to the full drop?
If we go by the Billboard article we have a thread on, demand for Atmos has gone up 400%, and it’s probably grown since then.

I have to imagine the situation right now is similar to that of vinyl pressing plants. Lots of artists want it, not enough resources to go around.

I think I remember reading somewhere that even if the mix is done (by a Steven Wilson for example) it still needs to be sent to Dolby for final checks/packaging, which may explain the American Beauty situation.

Back