Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heba Kadry mixed the Bjork, with Berger Borisson. She's a very talented mastering engineer normally. I know her barely because she mastered the Slim Cessna Auto Club album from 2015 that I was on and I chatted with her on the phone about it then.
She posted some relavant bjork atmos content:
Sounds like they played a big part in helping to realize the overall sound of the album, too. Other influences: fungi and Figrin D’an.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ing-influence-of-star-wars-bizarre-jazz-group

Yeah, there won't be any surround mixes of the physical releases. But usually, this kind of release is accompanied by a newly remastered version for DSPs, so maybe there's still hope for Atmos.
Maybe. No mention of it at SDE today:
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-flaming-lips-yoshimi-battles-the-pink-robots/This is really mystifying, given Coyne & Fridman's historical commitment to surround. They had to give up on it eventually, reluctantly, because the label would no longer support it. But jeez--this would be the perfect opportunity to at least reissue the 5.1 mix.

Accordng to this little trailer/documentary, 128 channels of audio recorded.

Technically this is a "live album," but as with all of Snarky Puppy's recordings, it's really more of a hybrid approach, one that I think is pretty much unique to them. They play the album in a live music venue (in this case the Deep Ellum Art Co.) in front of a crowd, but there's no PA system. It's done like a "silent disco" - that is, everyone wears headphones, both the musicians and the audience, which means there's no sound leakage between the PA or the instruments. As a result you get an album that is (ideally) the best of both worlds: the excitement of a live recording with the sonics of a studio recording.

These guys are one of my favourite bands of recent years, and I've touted them on here a number of times so I was incredibly excited to see this album getting the Atmos treatment. 2015's Sylva (with the Metropole Orkest) and 2016's Culcha Vulcha are amazing albums - I didn't like their last album, Immigrance (from 2019) nearly as much, but Empire Central is a real return to form, my ears.

This album is also notable that it features that last recorded performances of Bernard Wright, who came out of the same Jamaica area of Queens in the early 80s that produced Marcus Miller and Tom Browne (and whose 1981 album 'Nard spawned the jazz-funk classic Haboglabotribin') and who was Snarky Puppy founder Michael League's mentor. He died in a car accident just a couple of months after this album was recorded.

If you like jazz-funk or jazz-fusion of the '70s and early '80s you must give this album a spin.

Even more about the recording of the album. (Not quite as brisk or compelling as the trailer Dave posted.)

For all practical purposes, no.
How does that rig sound for movies, are you streaming or spinning discs?
How do atmos audio blu rays sound?

With respect, is your dad an atmos audiophile ?
Might he be just as happy streaming the other 99% of the Apple catalog that's in stereo?
Surely that gadget can do some kind of upmix?

Just my 2 cents.
The soundbar is on its way so I haven't had the chance to test it yet.
I’ll give you my impressions as soon as I’ll hear it in action.

My dad is not in any way an audiophile.
Like a good son, I just want to impress him with new tech.
I’ll probably rip some movies/music blu rays and show him the full potential of the soundbar.

This track is a joy to listen to:

Surprisingly uptempo for neo- soul crooner Khalid, it is infectiously upbeat sounding.

Leading off with acoustic guitars surrounding the soundstage and a mouth piped whistle it soon kicks in with a pulsing , and deep bass line of that has warm-tones that drives the often acapalla vocal delivery in a unconsciously compelling foot-tapping number of pure pop.

Check out the little bursts of drums panning from left front , to the left rear and moving in a quick burst of gently thumping action anti-clockwise around the rear sound stage at approx 30 second intervals.

A confident and accomplished mix- that reminded me of a sonic version Ben & Jerry’s finest with little chunks of sugary-positive pop pleasure.

Back