Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw this I thought it could be interesting... Tears for Fears in Atmos!

Then I heard the song and with (not much) respect, this remix is utter shite! How can this be the World Cup song?!? ⚽ Where's 'World in Motion' when you need it? The only positive to take is if they're mixing stuff like this into Atmos, then pretty much everything going forward is also going to be... :)

Tears for Fears (feat. Lil Baby) - The World Is Yours To Take

So great to have Zappa in surround! I hope they keep 'em coming.

On my 5.1 system, the Atmos mixes sound a little unorthodox though. Very rear-heavy, not a lot going on in the fronts, bass mostly in the center. Wondering if it comes across as rear-focused to those with Atmos setups. On my rig, it almost sounds like a 5.1 mix where they switched the fronts and rears in error. There have been other mixes on Apple that sound similarly balanced-skewed to the rear to me, such as the Beach Boys' Sounds Of Summer compilation, and other more modern-era ones that aren't springing to mind at the moment.

I'm not complaining; I'm still enjoying the two Zappa releases, and they're certainly preferable to the doubled-stereo Warners mixes. I see that the physical release will include 5.1 mixes as well as Atmos, so maybe those would be closer to my expectations?

Last edited:

On my 5.1 system, the Atmos mixes sound a little unorthodox though. Very rear-heavy, not a lot going on in the fronts, bass mostly in the center. Wondering if it come across as rear-focused to those with Atmos setups. On my rig, it almost sounds like a 5.1 mix where they switched the fronts and rears in error. There have been other mixes on Apple that sound similarly balanced-skewed to the rear to me, such as the Beach Boys' Sounds Of Summer compilation, and other more modern-era ones that aren't springing to mind at the moment.

I'm not complaining; I'm still enjoying the two Zappa releases, and they're certainly preferable to the doubled-stereo Warners mixes. I see that the physical release will include 5.1 mixes as well as Atmos, so maybe those would be closer to my expectations?
Huh--weird. I wasn't getting anything like that on my 5.1.4 system, where the mixes seem pretty well balanced (although with some elements in the overheads that I'd normally expect to see consigned to the "beds"). I'll listen more carefully next time 'round. . . .

On my 5.1 system, the Atmos mixes sound a little unorthodox though. Very rear-heavy, not a lot going on in the fronts, bass mostly in the center. Wondering if it comes across as rear-focused to those with Atmos setups. On my rig, it almost sounds like a 5.1 mix where they switched the fronts and rears in error. There have been other mixes on Apple that sound similarly balanced-skewed to the rear to me, such as the Beach Boys' Sounds Of Summer compilation, and other more modern-era ones that aren't springing to mind at the moment.

The bass sounds really amazing on these new mixes, crystal clear and I can really pick out the incredibly intricate and right in the pocket bass lines 😍

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Original Cast Recording)
Tidal (360RA) - Try the TIDAL Web Player

Quite nicely done, sort of like the old quad mixes of Company & A Chorus Line with orchestral parts mixed into the rear channels at times. Sad about Angela Lansbury as well. Loved watching Murder She Wrote back in the day!

Last edited:
Sounds fine on my 5.1 system!

*OK -seriously now, folks that feel there's too much in the rears need to check their system or just aren't used to properly (aggressively) mixed music. This is the kind of mix on here I dream about- Get some!
:dance
aaand another thing... if you're not familiar with this album, you may not realize just how wonderfully Big Band Jazzy this is. :love:

Last edited:
Back