Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's funny, I had completely the opposite experience with Rust in Peace, which is one of my favourite metal albums of all time. The original stereo mix is no great shakes, especially in the low end, but the Atmos mix seems to somehow make it worse for me. 90% of the instrumentation seems confined to the front, and it sounds really "small" and boxy as a result, and when the mix does employ the rear speakers it seems to be to pretty poor effect to me - guitar solos seem to occasionally wander aimlessly around the room without purpose or direction, while others are locked in the front center position and even occasionally too low in the mix, like Mustaine's solo at the end of Holy Wars. To me this mix represents either a failure of imagination or a failure of ambition because there are plenty of things you can do with multiple rhythm guitar overdubs, backing vocals, and twin lead guitars. What about having the Mustaine/Friedman call and response solos in Hangar 18 answering each other from diagonally opposite corners that switch each time they trade fours, have the backing vocals in Take No Prisoners come from the rears (or rear heights), have that crazy fast riff in Five Magics that comes in at 4:45 kick your ass from the rears, or have the disembodied vocal in Dawn Patrol emanate from the "voice of god" position in center height? There are tons of creative things that could have been done with this mix and I don't think the mixer took any of these opportunities.

That's funny, I had completely the opposite experience with Rust in Peace, which is one of my favourite metal albums of all time. The original stereo mix is no great shakes, especially in the low end, but the Atmos mix seems to somehow make it worse for me. 90% of the instrumentation seems confined to the front, and it sounds really "small" and boxy as a result, and when the mix does employ the rear speakers it seems to be to pretty poor effect to me - guitar solos seem to occasionally wander aimlessly around the room without purpose or direction, while others are locked in the front center position and even occasionally too low in the mix, like Mustaine's solo at the end of Holy Wars. To me this mix represents either a failure of imagination or a failure of ambition because there are plenty of things you can do with multiple rhythm guitar overdubs, backing vocals, and twin lead guitars. What about having the Mustaine/Friedman call and response solos in Hangar 18 answering each other from diagonally opposite corners that switch each time they trade fours, have the backing vocals in Take No Prisoners come from the rears (or rear heights), have that crazy fast riff in Five Magics that comes in at 4:45 kick your ass from the rears, or have the disembodied vocal in Dawn Patrol emanate from the "voice of god" position in center height? There are tons of creative things that could have been done with this mix and I don't think the mixer took any of these opportunities.
Not my experience at all. I absolutely love the Rust mix despite not having much top presence. Very crankable and plenty rear action. I usually just listen to the bed 5.1 considering there is so little in the top channels.

Mills Logan on mixing on the album:
I recently did Megadeth's Rust In Peace (1990) in Atmos, and [bandleader] Dave Mustaine was like “yeah, keep it like it was, but also let's update a little bit.” So we changed the sound of the record a little bit. It was a challenge doing that kind of metal in Atmos, as it’s really just three guitars plus bass and drums. I’ve got 15 speakers, but there’s only four guys in the band. Where am I gonna put them all?
I wonder if Dave Mustaine's involvement and request to "update" the album is partly to blame for the poor sound? Most of Logan's other Atmos mixes are good-to-great, with The Temptations' "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" and Sheryl Crow's "All I Want To Do" being two personal favorites of mine.

I wonder if Dave Mustaine's involvement and request to "update" the album is partly to blame for the poor sound? Most of Logan's other Atmos mixes are good-to-great, with The Temptations' "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" and Sheryl Crow's "All I Want To Do" being two personal favorites of mine.
Today is the first I heard this mix labeled as poor? The Life In Surround series did this album and I don't think it was labeled as poor especially turned up loud.
@edisonbaggins

Do you know if Logan is also responsible for the rest of the Sheryl Crow greatest hits album that appeared a week or so ago?

Last edited:
Ohh Shania Twain - Come On Over is now available... :)
I just checked out a few of the hits and unfortunately, it's a pretty unimaginative mix to my ears - the sides just seem to have some instruments (fiddle, guitar) duplicated at close to the same level they appear upfront. The rears and heights are mostly unused.

Back