Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought this album on Bandcamp, and come to find out it has an Atmos mix on Apple Music! (Of course it's bedtime, and the house is already quiet, so I have to wait till morning to find out if it's any good.) Funky, jazzy, soulful big-band music with rhymes that sometimes put me in mind of Q-Tip, sometimes of Phife Dawg. Snarky Puppy fans--and/or Quincy Jones fans--should dig this.

Last edited:
Both SFAM and SDOIT deserve a proper Atmos mix. Sadly, SFAM missed its 20th anniversary in 2019...who knows, 25th anniversary edition in 2024? One can hope...
I'd love that. I'm gonna listen to the Scenes Atmos mix in full today, but from what I heard when spot-checking yesterday, I thought the sound quality was bad. Tinny, brittle highs and lows.

Here today, gone tomorrow. I really don’t like the fact that I may enjoy one Atmos album release, only to find it taken down the following morning. And I did enjoy Scenes from a memory in Atmos but now it’s nowhere to be seen. This is really frustrating and the number one problem I have with not owning music anymore.
AND this is why I refuse to pay to stream music

Let's try and steer this back to the thread title and focus on listening to Atmos music on streaming...

Here's an interesting one... :)

John Mellencamp - American Fool

View attachment 77399_

Apple Music - American Fool (Remastered) by John Cougar
Tidal - John Mellencamp - American Fool.

Apple seems to have tracks 3-9 greyed out for the mo? Tidal has the full album.

Mixed by David Leonard, who has done some nice Atmos mixes with Video Killed The Radio Star, J. Geils Band - Centrefold, Steve Winwood - Higher Love... And then some stuff that's not quite as good like The Allman Brothers and The Band stuff... This is somewhere in-between. Mostly gone for an 'immersive' experience but still some good uses in the surround field at certain points. I like it... :cool:
Similar experience here. Some songs feel a bit like stereo with benefits, while others have the kind of mix you'd keep around for a long-term relationship ;-) Strange that it's so uneven! But overall, great sound quality and a pleasing surround presentation of a strong album.

Similar experience here. Some songs feel a bit like stereo with benefits, while others have the kind of mix you'd keep around for a long-term relationship ;-) Strange that it's so uneven! But overall, great sound quality and a pleasing surround presentation of a strong album.
Yeah it's bit of a shame... Because I think David Leonard has proven to have done better, more adventurous Atmos mixing. But American Fool and Scarecrow and even the new one have a 'handbrake slightly up' feel to the Atmos mix... Going for a more all encompassing mix which kinda sounds a bit boring at the end of the day...

Pure speculation but maybe John Mellencamp instructed it to be that way? Maybe he needs to get the Cougar back for a bit more courage?! 🐆:)

Last edited:
This one is very interesting from Blue Note. The Atmos mix (especially little use of surrounds) is nothing to write home about, but the microdynamics (for a streamed title) are quite amazing. Just listen to the opening track, Tributary. A nice Bill Frisell backing guitar, too, on a very Frisell-like album.

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue. Thanks.
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue. Thanks.
Sort of. I found if I click on the three little dots below the album cover icon in the post, one of the choices presented is “copy link”. Pasting the resulting link into a browser then opens the track in Apple Music.

Reactions: PK
Back