Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the New York Times, jazz critic Giovanni Russonello opines on the Best Jazz Albums of 2022. Several of the titles on his list have Atmos mixes on the streaming services (off the top of my head, I think I can remember: Cécile McLorin Salvant, Immanuel Wilkins, Samara Joy, Moor Mother, and Makaya McCraven). Some of those mixes may be tame or, depending upon your ears and your point of view, worse, but at least somebody at their respective labels thought they deserved the Atmos name!
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/30/arts/music/best-jazz-albums.html(Here's a "gifted" version of the list for non-subscribers who have exceeded their monthly allotment of free articles. There's also a separate critics' list of best pop albums that includes Beyoncé, Sudan Archives, and Björk, among others with online Atmos mixes.)

Last edited:

Another release from(?) Endel, the AI music generation app that also releases albums because Warner signed them a few years back. Don’t recognize the artist that’s collaborating, unlike the previous Endel Atmos release with James Blake. Unlike the James Blake, which is “designed” for sleep (linked below) this seems more “designed” for being on the go

Tracks 1-4,6,8 and potentially more are Atmos, rest seemingly not (but is High Res). The Super Deluxe seems to be the only one with Atmos on Apple Music yet
I was going to say that I hope they eventually offer the song Sail On, Sailor in Atmos, but just found it that way on the Holland album... and decided it wasn’t such a great mix.

I’ll stick with the stereo version unless we get a newer Atmos mix.

Up until a few years ago, I had never heard that song. (More of an early Beach Boys person.) But I fell in love with that song the first time I heard it.

Thanks to your hint I found both ‘Carl And The Passions: So Tough’ and ‘Holland’ in Atmos. Haven’t listened yet, but my question is is ‘Sail On Sailor’ the same as the version on ‘Sounds Of Summer’?

In the case of ‘Holland’ the main album is in Atmos, but the extra ‘Mt Vernon’ tracks are not. As least not so far.

David Bowie "Heroes" released on Tidal in RA360 today (I guess the slow trickle of all his albums in RA360 continues. First since Blackstar, The Next Day, Heathen, Space Oddity and Reality were released back in January).

https:////embed.tidal.com/albums/260978353

I've never experienced RA360. Is it true surround that can be decoded into 5.1 by a receiver or is it like Binaural in that it only gives the impression of surround and that it only works through headphones? Is Space Oddity in Apple Atmos a different thing to Space Oddity in Tidal RA360?

I've never experienced RA360. Is it true surround that can be decoded into 5.1 by a receiver or is it like Binaural in that it only gives the impression of surround and that it only works through headphones? Is Space Oddity in Apple Atmos a different thing to Space Oddity in Tidal RA360?
Supposedly the mixes of space oddity are different. Only a few high end receivers can decide RA360.

360RA Is true multichannel surround that could be sent to 7.1.4 system or downmixed to 5.1 system.

Currently there is only a solution to listen 360 virtualized downmixed to binaural stereo headphones.

Supposedly the mixes of space oddity are different. Only a few high end receivers can decide RA360.
I confirm Space Oddity Atmos mix is different to 360RA (multichannel) mix.

Even if some AVR can decode 360RA, there is NOT yet (AFAIK) any player (from files or streaming App) than can support 360RA and send pasthrough to the HDMI AVR.

Thanks for the info.
It sounds as if it's better to wait (pray!) for Heroes to hit Apple Atmos like Space Oddity rather than invest in Tidal and special headphones.
Does anyone know why Blackstar and The Next Day never made it over to Atmos?

Hopefully the start of the Atmos treatment for all the Mraz albums.

Before hearing him on Alan Parson’s album (The Secret) I hadn’t heard of Mraz. Really liked the song he did on that album, though. So I gave this album a try last night and really liked the music. Definitely one to revisit is the midst of all the stuff I have on my listening list.

Reactions: Ick
Before hearing him on Alan Parson’s album (The Secret) I hadn’t heard of Mraz. Really liked the song he did on that album, though. So I gave this album a try last night and really liked the music. Definitely one to revisit is the midst of all the stuff I have on my listening list.
Here is another album you may like that has songs from different albums in Atmos. I’m really hoping they give “We Sing We Dance We Steal Things” the Atmos treatment.

Back