Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone else experiencing Florence and the Machine Ceremonials showing up in the Spatial Audio list, but then only getting stereo?

David Bowie "Heroes" released on Tidal in RA360 today (I guess the slow trickle of all his albums in RA360 continues. First since Blackstar, The Next Day, Heathen, Space Oddity and Reality were released back in January).

https:////embed.tidal.com/albums/260978353
Amazing!

Was there any social media push for this at all?
Seems a bit weird to re-launch the surround series with a silent drop of the middle entry of a 'trilogy' while promoting a deluxe reissue of a different album, but what do I know😅

Not that I'm complaining, really curious to see what comes out next.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Tracks 1-4,6,8 and potentially more are Atmos, rest seemingly not (but is High Res). The Super Deluxe seems to be the only one with Atmos on Apple Music yet
This seems to be an Atmos upmix from the Stereo masters. To my ears almost unlistenable - and on my system, more comes from back than from the front channels. I don't hear any discrete signals.

Martin

This seems to be an Atmos upmix from the Stereo masters. To my ears almost unlistenable - and on my system, more comes from back than from the front channels. I don't hear any discrete signals.

Martin
Agreed. It's a horrible phasey mess. And I LOVE the 70s Beach Boys. Things like Steamboat could have been incredible with the harmonies, etc.

Martin
Agreed. It's a horrible phasey mess. And I LOVE the 70s Beach Boys. Things like Steamboat could have been incredible with the harmonies, etc.
Some of these comments are disappointing. I listened to ‘Holland’ - the new Atmos version, probably my second favorite Beach Boys album, five times on the weekend, but in 5.1 (outside, due to the time of year - no overheads in sky) and it sounded fabulous. The harmonies were all around in ‘California Saga’. ‘Sail On Sailor’ was fine and most of the second side was excellent with ‘Funky Pretty’ a highlight. It did have discreet sound all round. Seemed different to the ‘Sounds of Summer’ mixes which had little in the fronts. I only listened to one or two tracks in Atmos quickly and maybe it was a little flat, but I don’t think it was any worse than dozens of other releases. It sounded consistent with the original album which had a subdued sound. I don’t think I would have picked it as a HiFi demo album.

It’s all subjective and I think depends greatly on your setup, but I enjoyed it and am grateful it is available.

Last edited:
Sony seems to be up to something with RCA's venerable "Living Stereo" classical series--oddly, so far, with titles that were never given a multichannel (3-channel) reissue on SACD. Over the weekend a friend told me of two Fritz Reiner Bartok albums that had shown up in 360 RA on Tidal. Today, the Apple Atmos Twitterbot turned up Jascha Heifetz playing Bruch. That one is "stealth" Atmos: the album isn't marked because some tracks are stereo only, but start playing it and you see that the Concerto No. 1 is Atmos--big ambiance in the rears and little to nothing in the overheads and the center channel. Very peculiar.

Last edited:
This is interesting! Will we see Help! In Atmos soon’??

It sounds identical to the version on the 1 compilation, which has been on Apple Music in Atmos for some time (although not in particularly good mixes). It seems that sometimes the Atmos version of a song "bleeds over" on Apple from one album to another, without any apparent rhyme or reason, while other songs also shared between the same albums mostly don't.

Not that I wouldn't love to hear the Help! album in Atmos, especially if the mix is better than the corresponding songs on 1.

Did Spoon make it to Tidal? I don't see it yet.
Yeah I've been checking too and it seems not so far unfortunately.

Add to that the Weyes Blood album (And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow).

I'm really getting tired of reading everywhere about how good it is and not being able to hear it the first time in Atmos.

I may have to break down and check out in *STEREO*.

THE HORROR :)

Last edited:
I… think this might be the first game soundtrack in Atmos?

I’ve been meaning to check this out, but it’s such a wild departure from the studio’s previous work (thatgamecompany… yes really that’s their name). Their previous games have been Capital-A Art pieces that just happen to be games… this is some sort of free to play (with *lots* of ways to spend money) multiplayer… thing.

Ninja edit: not the game’s soundtrack, but the soundtrack to an upcoming event: Aurora - That Sky Game

Back