Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So every year I peruse a bunch of year-end "Best" lists published at places like NPR, PopMatters, Pitchfork, the New York Times, Stereogum, The New Yorker, Bandcamp, etc., etc., with the aim of finding potentially interesting stuff to check out--in all different genres. I probably pay the most attention to the lists and critics (and artists and genres) I already know/like/respect, but if I read an interesting nutshell description of/by some artist I don't know--or if I see something showing up in multiple places--then I'll add it, even though I'm reflexively skeptical of critical groupthink. This year I wound up with 50+ items. (Maybe a dozen or so were actually already in my Apple Music library. How hip am I?)

Here's the cool part: around half of that half-hundred have Atmos mixes, or at least nominal Atmos mixes. Some are almost inevitable (I lost track of how many lists had Bey's RENAISSANCE at the top), many less so. I'm sure that if we took a poll at QQ, we'd get consensus on 50 more great new albums with Atmos mixes from 2022 that flew beneath the critics' radar. Anyway: for anybody who's interested, here's what I wound up with. (Sorry--haven't taken the time to get links.) I'm looking forward to checking out the unfamiliar ones.

Angel Olsen, Big Time
Aoife O’Donovan, Age of Apathy
Bartees Strange, From Farm to Table
Beyonce, RENAISSANCE
Bjork, Fossora
Black Country, New Road, Ants from Up There
Caroline Shaw & Attaca Quartet, Evergreen
Cecile McLorin Salvant, Ghost Song
FKA Twigs, Caprisongs
Greentea Peng, GREENZONE 108
iLe, Nacarile
Kojey Radical, Reason to Smile
Leikeli47, Shape Up
Little Simz, No Thank You
Lucky Daye, Candydrip
Regina Spektor, Home, before and after
S. G. Goodman, Teeth Marks
Samara Joy, Linger Awhile
Soccer Mommy, Sometimes, Forever
Stromae, Multitude
Sudan Archive, Natural Brown Prom Queen
The Weeknd, Dawn FM
Tove Lo, Dirt Femme
Wet Leg, Wet Leg
This thread has introduced me to so much new music. If there was such a thing as “Desert Island Threads”, this would be on my list.

I just took a screenshot of your list. Each day I’m going to try to listen to one album from the list. (If I’m reading you correctly, they’ll all Atmos.)

Except for Beyonce and Bjork, I don’t think I know any of those artists or their genre.

Tomorrow... Angel Olsen.

#&@{!, is the mislabelling bug at it again? I was alerted by SAF there are some fresh +/-metal albums now available in Atmos on Apple, but none of these by bands noted below actually are, so do not get lured in easily...

Machine Head
Behemoth
Cradle Of Filth
We Came As Romans
Light The Torch
Don Broco
Caskets

I guess I need to listen to some Megadeth or Coheed And Cambria now...
Edit: This one is a whole different story, you know it's Atmos immediately:

Last edited:

HOLY COW! First time hearing of this artist, but this was getting a lot of buzz in my music circles out this morning. Wide wide mix on this one. Hints of Joni Mitchell and ambient. Apparently this is the second in a trilogy she’s doing with the first (stereo only) entry being Titanic Rising.

Poking around online it looks like it has contributions from Oneohtrix Point Never, and a harpist I love; Mary Lattimore!
The latest from Weyes Blood has made several best of the year lists and I finally bit the bullet and grabbed an Apple TV so I could check it out (along with some other Apple Music Atmos exclusives). I think a lot of QQ members will enjoy this album. She's got a beautiful voice, it's a great recording and it's got a nice Atmos mix. I'd jump on an SDE BDA of this one if it were to happen.

The latest from Weyes Blood has made several best of the year lists and I finally bit the bullet and grabbed an Apple TV so I could check it out (along with some other Apple Music Atmos exclusives). I think a lot of QQ members will enjoy this album. She's got a beautiful voice, it's a great recording and it's got a nice Atmos mix. I'd jump on an SDE BDA of this one if it were to happen.
That one would certainly be high on my own Top 10 Belated Discoveries of 2022.

Totes, I saw this album mentioned in a few lists, and I actually enjoyed it. Now I need to check out the atmos version.

A really sad fact. They sound so good and there’s no way I can afford the physical release 😭
I am not sure why they are gone from Apple Music since they are still available in Atmos on Tidal. If withdrawn they often disappear from both. No guarantee it will stay avail there of course, but it could indicate it's just temporarily removed from AM. Let's hope so.

So every year I peruse a bunch of year-end "Best" lists published at places like NPR, PopMatters, Pitchfork, the New York Times, Stereogum, The New Yorker, Bandcamp, etc., etc., with the aim of finding potentially interesting stuff to check out--in all different genres. I probably pay the most attention to the lists and critics (and artists and genres) I already know/like/respect, but if I read a compelling nutshell description of/by someone I don't know--or if I see something showing up in multiple places--then I'll earmark it, even though I'm reflexively skeptical of critical groupthink. This year I wound up with 50+ items. (Maybe a dozen or so were actually already in my Apple Music library. How hip am I?)

Here's the cool part: around half of that half-hundred have Atmos mixes, or at least nominal Atmos mixes. Some titles are almost inevitable (I lost track of how many lists had Bey's RENAISSANCE at the top), many less so. I'm sure that if we took a poll at QQ, we'd get consensus on 50 more great new albums with Atmos mixes from 2022 that flew beneath the critics' radar. Anyway: for anybody who's interested, here's what I wound up with. (Sorry--haven't taken the time to get links.) I'm looking forward to checking out the unfamiliar ones.

Angel Olsen, Big Time
Aoife O’Donovan, Age of Apathy
Bartees Strange, From Farm to Table
Beyonce, RENAISSANCE
Bjork, Fossora
Black Country, New Road, Ants from Up There
Caroline Shaw & Attaca Quartet, Evergreen
Cecile McLorin Salvant, Ghost Song
FKA Twigs, Caprisongs
Greentea Peng, GREENZONE 108
iLe, Nacarile
Kendrick Lamar, Mr Morale & the Big Steppers
Kojey Radical, Reason to Smile
Leikeli47, Shape Up
Little Simz, No Thank You
Lucky Daye, Candydrip
Regina Spektor, Home, before and after
S. G. Goodman, Teeth Marks
Samara Joy, Linger Awhile
Soccer Mommy, Sometimes, Forever
Stromae, Multitude
Sudan Archive, Natural Brown Prom Queen
The Weeknd, Dawn FM
Tove Lo, Dirt Femme
Wet Leg, Wet Leg
Yeah there's some good albums on there... I've listened to about half of them and they all pretty much have good mixes too....

Here's my pick of the 2022 streaming Atmos titles...

New Albums
Wet Leg - Wet Leg
Andrew Bird - Inside Problems (David Boucher)
Liam Gallagher - C’MON YOU KNOW
Harry Styles - Harry’s House
Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There
Def Leppard - Diamond Star Halos (Steven Wilson)
Lyn Lapid - The Outsider (Mills Logan/Gary Lux?)
The Sheepdogs - Outta Sight
Lyle Lovett - 12th Of June (Chuck Ainlay)
Alfie Templeton - Mellow Moon
William Orbit - The Painter
Arlo Parks — Collapsed In Sunbeams
The 1975 - Being Funny In A Foreign Language
The War On Drugs - I Don’t Live Here Anymore
Jack Johnson - Meet The Moonlight (Robert Carranza)
Mickey Hart & Planet Drum - In The Groove
Snarky Puppy - Empire Central
Bruce Springsteen - Only The Strong Survive
Taylor Swift - Midnights (John Hanes)
Weyes Blood - And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow
Spoon - Lucifer On The Sofa

All great but Wet Leg really is superb...

Albums reissued with new Atmos mixes
Tom Petty & The Heatbreakers - Greatest Hits (Ryan Ulyate)
The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach (David Leonard)
Seal - Seal (Trevor Horn)
George Michael - Back Catalogue (Solo) (Frank Filipetti?)
Talking Heads - Back Catalogue
The Temptations - Wish It Would Rain (Juro “Mez” Davis)
Diana Ross & The Supremes - #1s (Brad Wood)
Elton John - Diamonds (Greatest Hits), Too Low For Zero (Greg Penny)
The Doors - Back Catalogue (Bruce Botnick)
Smokey Robinson/Miracles - Where There’s Smoke, Going To A Go-Go, A Quiet Storm
Ben Howard - Every Kingdom (Chris Bolster)
Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Sings The Irving Berlin Songbook
Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger
Sheryl Crow - Sheryl… Greatest Hits
Grateful Dead - American Beauty (Steven Wilson)
Jungle - Jungle
Pixies - Doolittle
Fleetwood Mac - Mirage
Terrance Trent D'Arby (Sananda Maitreya) - Introducing The Hardline…
Michael Jackson - Thriller (John Hanes)
Traffic - The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys (Richard Whittaker)
Joni Mitchell - The Asylum Albums - 1972 - 1975
Neil Diamond - All Time Greatest Hits (Bernie Becker)

Really tough to select a top one they're all so good but Tom Petty probably deserves a high distinction mark.

2022 Turkeys
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head (great album, dreadful mix. Shame as mixes on 2 albums before are great)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (thankfully we have the old 5.1)
The Police - Greatest Hits
All the Warner fake upmixes...
Sure there a quite a few more unfortunately

Last edited:
Yeah there's some good albums on there... I've listened to about half of them and they all pretty much have good mixes too....

Here's my pick of the 2022 streaming Atmos titles...

New Albums
Wet Leg - Wet Leg
Andrew Bird - Inside Problems (David Boucher)
Liam Gallagher - C’MON YOU KNOW
Harry Styles - Harry’s House
Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There
Def Leppard - Diamond Star Halos (Steven Wilson)
Lyn Lapid - The Outsider (Mills Logan/Gary Lux?)
The Sheepdogs - Outta Sight
Lyle Lovett - 12th Of June (Chuck Ainlay)
Alfie Templeton - Mellow Moon
William Orbit - The Painter
Arlo Parks — Collapsed In Sunbeams
The 1975 - Being Funny In A Foreign Language
The War On Drugs - I Don’t Live Here Anymore
Jack Johnson - Meet The Moonlight (Robert Carranza)
Mickey Hart & Planet Drum - In The Groove
Snarky Puppy - Empire Central
Bruce Springsteen - Only The Strong Survive
Taylor Swift - Midnights (John Hanes)
Weyes Blood - And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow
Spoon - Lucifer On The Sofa

All great but Wet Leg really is superb...

Albums reissued with new Atmos mixes
Tom Petty & The Heatbreakers - Greatest Hits (Ryan Ulyate)
The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach (David Leonard)
Seal - Seal (Trevor Horn)
George Michael - Back Catalogue (Solo) (Frank Filipetti?)
Talking Heads - Back Catalogue
The Temptations - Wish It Would Rain (Juro “Mez” Davis)
Diana Ross & The Supremes - #1s (Brad Wood)
Elton John - Diamonds (Greatest Hits), Too Low For Zero (Greg Penny)
The Doors - Back Catalogue (Bruce Botnick)
Smokey Robinson/Miracles - Where There’s Smoke, Going To A Go-Go, A Quiet Storm
Ben Howard - Every Kingdom (Chris Bolster)
Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Sings The Irving Berlin Songbook
Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger
Sheryl Crow - Sheryl… Greatest Hits
Grateful Dead - American Beauty (Steven Wilson)
Jungle - Jungle
Pixies - Doolittle
Fleetwood Mac - Mirage
Terrance Trent D'Arby (Sananda Maitreya) - Introducing The Hardline…
Michael Jackson - Thriller (John Hanes)
Traffic - The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys (Richard Whittaker)
Joni Mitchell - The Asylum Albums - 1972 - 1975
Neil Diamond - All Time Greatest Hits (Bernie Becker)

Really tough to select a top one they're all so good but Tom Petty probably deserves a high distinction mark.

2022 Turkeys
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head (great album, dreadful mix. Shame as mixes on 2 albums before are great)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (thankfully we have the old 5.1)
The Police - Greatest Hits
All the Warner fake upmixes...
Sure there a quite a few more unfortunately

Great retrospective! Thanks for the reminders (and the links!).

A record that I’ve enjoyed a lot that sounds completely magical in Atmos is this one. Haven’t seen it mentioned (apologies if it has) and I can’t recommend it enough. A great use of space that shifts and changes song to song.

I’m working through the list @humprof shared the other day for Best of 2022 from different sources. Not knowing the majority of artists (because they’re mostly current and I’m... mostly not) I figured this might be a fun way to expose myself to different types of music that should be pretty good since they made a best-of list.

Yesterday, I listened to Angel Olsen’s Big Time. Didn’t really care for it. Nothing wrong with it, but it just wasn’t something that grabbed me. While it’s not a country album, it does have that flavor as does her voice, and I’m not into country.

Today’s album, though, was really enjoyable. It’s nothing I’d listen to on a regular basis compared to other genres I like, but if she came to town on tour, I could see myself buying a ticket and looking forward to a nice evening of songs.

I got the $1 for 6-months, Tidal family plan deal through Best Buy, and it still works after 9 months. Don't tell anybody!
Just catching up here but yeah me too! I thought I might have been the only one. Nice work if you can get it :)

It’s not my intent to post something for each “best of 2022” album I go through, but this has been an interesting exploration and I’m only on day three.

Today’s album was Farm to Table. I went into this one thinking I wouldn’t like it. While foul words tumble out of my mouth from time to time, I don’t care much for it in the music I listen to. So when four songs have an “E” next to them, I wonder what I’m going to get. Wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, though, so lesson learned not to presume.

Some good lyrics on this one, but for me this album shined instrumentally and had some subtle, yet very nice, Atmos moments. Bartees is a singer/songwriter, so I don’t expect an instrumental version of his albums, but I’d sure love to hear this one instrumentally.

I can see why people would have put this on the best-of-22 list.

So I just discovered the Stones' "Honk" compilation. Sampled a few tracks and they kinda sound meh. From what I could find in this thread, the whole of the compilation isn't really anything to go crazy about?

Also, somebody must have stumbled and accidentally dropped "Satisfaction" while compiling this. I mean, I get it, it's just a minor album track, but still...

Back