Listening to ... in "Synthesized Surround" in 5.0 (sans SubWoofer)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new system is the perfect reason to “go back.” Revisiting favorites in your collection is a wonderful rabbit hole to go down!
Rabbit Hole INDEED!!!
Like I/WE need a reason to experience this one more time... always a pleasure... thank you SW!
OS02MTAzLmpwZWc.jpeg

AND DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE WE GO!!!!
delighted at how awesome this system sounds..."breaking it in"
the "air" on the "aaaahhhhh ooooooo"s on "Shepherd Moons" and "Caribbean Blue" from the LP rip are not piercing, just...MAGICAL!!! Incroyable!!!
LTU3NjMuanBlZw.jpeg

and for good measure following it up with THIS other jewel and basically PRAY along with her my favorite mantra; "Sancta Maria"
NS0zMTk5LmpwZWc.jpeg

and , of course...take advantage of the occasion and sneak in a couple of shots of the goddess from County Donegal...
enya_wallpaper_awc01.jpg

eny.jpg

enyaa.jpg

oops... did I say a couple??

Last edited:
AND DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE WE GO!!!!
delighted at how awesome this system sounds..."breaking it in"
the "air" on the "aaaahhhhh ooooooo"s on "Shepherd Moons" and "Caribbean Blue" from the LP rip are not piercing, just...MAGICAL!!! Incroyable!!!
LTU3NjMuanBlZw.jpeg

and for good measure following it up with THIS other jewel and basically PRAY along with her my favorite mantra; "Sancta Maria"
NS0zMTk5LmpwZWc.jpeg

and , of course...take advantage of the occasion and sneak in a couple of shots of the goddess from County Donegal...
View attachment 80359
View attachment 80360
View attachment 80361

oops... did I say a couple??
Does your wife know about you and Enya? If so, then she’s decided to go along with the Orinoco Flow!

Does your wife know about you and Enya? If so, then she’s decided to go along with the Orinoco Flow!
Yes, she is well aware of it...my wife is a brunette goddess as well...she has told me that IF EVER I get lucky (yeah right, get real!), she will give me a HALL PASS!!! And Quid Pro Quo, if she ever gets lucky with Pierce Brosnan, SHE will gete a HALL PASS as well!!! As long as she doesn't tell me that he is better than I am in.... everything will be fine! LOL!!!!
Orinoco Flow indeed!!!

Just did an A/B with the "fixed rears" MCH mix, and it sounded WEEIIIIIIIIRD, so I chose to go thru Foobar2000 with the HiRes Stereo mix...takes me back to 1978 BIG TIME!!!

NC0yMjU0LmpwZWc.jpeg

I used to have this poster in my bedroom ...along with the Queen's "Jazz" one... oh man.. were we LUCKY to have lived thru that "non WOKE" times!

Last edited:
Dunno if this is the correct thread (MODS please intervene if that is the case!)..
a Yes show from 1979 in Quebec City which sounds really clean...
I am on..
"Awaken"

still in Foobar's upmix thing...
Just found out who "I don't live today" is about...Jimi dedicates it to the American Indian on the CD 1 of the Stages Boxset...really good sounding stuff from 1967!
OS0yMDIzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Funky version of "Burning of the midnight lamp"...he sez it was the 1st time they ever played it onstage....
I could listen to Jimi live all day, man!!! (Right , Mamita @Quad Linda ?)

(EDIT...planning on listening to all 4 discs back to back!!!)

Last edited:
still in Foobar's upmix thing...
Just found out who "I don't live today" is about...Jimi dedicates it to the American Indian on the CD 1 of the Stages Boxset...really good sounding stuff from 1967!
OS0yMDIzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Funky version of "Burning of the midnight lamp"...he sez it was the 1st time they ever played it onstage....
I could listen to Jimi live all day, man!!! (Right , Mamita @Quad Linda ?)

(EDIT...planning on listening to all 4 discs back to back!!!)
Kap’n, looks like you have a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome! I also love me some live Jimi except that the Strat whammy bar sometimes throws him out of tune.

Shakedown has been in heavy rotation in my house since its' release in '78. At least one spin a year.

Founding member of Spirit. Ferguson's poppiest solo project, yet it works! With Szymczyk producing and Joe Walsh on guitar, how could it not work? Title track got some FM play here in Chicago.

My heaviest listening on this was through the Marantz Vari-matrix full clockwise (6 PM position). CD has been my most played since it hit 10-ish years ago.

Own most of Olivia's stuff. Vinyl and CD's. Both Laser Disc and 1/2 speed LP of Physical are great. Played 1/2 speed through Denon in both matrix and 5ch stereo modes.

IMHO, surround synthesis is the way I choose to listen to 2ch sources. I much prefer it over hall effect synthesis.

Have owned Boston (s/t) on LP, 1/2 speed LP, CD & 2ch SACD. Played all but SACD though Marantz Vari-Matrix. Most SACD spins have been through Denon matrix and Sony SQD-2020 synthesis modes.

ELO Discovery owned on LP, 1/2 speed LP and early Japan CD. Most spins though Marantz Vari matrix (full clockwise) and B&K 5ch stereo mode. Nice rears...

Try Lee Michaels' 3rd LP (s/t) in basic (Dynaco) matrix. It comes alive. Recommended by Audio, High Fidelity or Stereo Review, don't remember which.

Shakedown INDEED!!!
My5qcGVn.jpeg

Shakedown has been in heavy rotation in my house since its' release in '78. At least one spin a year.

Founding member of Spirit. Ferguson's poppiest solo project, yet it works! With Szymczyk producing and Joe Walsh on guitar, how could it not work? Title track got some FM play here in Chicago.

My heaviest listening on this was through the Marantz Vari-matrix full clockwise (6 PM position). CD has been my most played since it hit 10-ish years ago.

Own most of Olivia's stuff. Vinyl and CD's. Both Laser Disc and 1/2 speed LP of Physical are great. Played 1/2 speed through Denon in both matrix and 5ch stereo modes.

IMHO, surround synthesis is the way I choose to listen to 2ch sources. I much prefer it over hall effect synthesis.

Have owned Boston (s/t) on LP, 1/2 speed LP, CD & 2ch SACD. Played all but SACD though Marantz Vari-Matrix. Most SACD spins have been through Denon matrix and Sony SQD-2020 synthesis modes.

ELO Discovery owned on LP, 1/2 speed LP and early Japan CD. Most spins though Marantz Vari matrix (full clockwise) and B&K 5ch stereo mode. Nice rears...

Try Lee Michaels' 3rd LP (s/t) in basic (Dynaco) matrix. It comes alive. Recommended by Audio, High Fidelity or Stereo Review, don't remember which.
Auro 3D upmixing of two channel is also great.

Back