Listening to Lennon (1 Minute Samples)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Here is the song "Woman", from Double Fantasy. This is the extra channels from the 7.1. I would suppose these are the side channels, but honest to God this freaking Atmos confuses the crap out of me. If there are only 8 channels, I don't know where the rest come from! o_O

Anyway, here is a stereo MP3 you can play right here and hear these two channels. It's very mellow and soothing, kinda cool really. It picks up from where the lead vocal starts if you want to sing along!

If you compare this with the rears on the 5.1 DTS mix, it's very close with the exception of John Lennon's vocals are included in the 5.1 rears at a reduced volume, whereas in this extraction, there is no hint of his vocals.

Attachments

• Woman Snippet 71 Sides.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Wow, this sounds a lot more discrete than the previous version from the Lennon Legend DVD. You can really hear the synths and backing vocals. Hopefully all this stuff isn't also present at the same volume in the front channels...

I know. It's very clear. And from what I can hear, that stuff is not in the fronts at all.

I've been messing with this track and from what I can tell, the front and center channels are the same on the 5.1 DTS and the 7.1 DTS. It's drums, bass, and vocals. John is in the fronts, but alone with the bass in the center.

The differences are in the rears. It appears the 5.1 mix follows the "sides" only there are vocals mixed in there as well. The 'rears' in the 7.1 are almost the same audio as the fronts. Even the little bit where John says "For the other half of the sky" at the start of the song, it's in the fronts AND in the rears on the 7.1, as well as very clear in the center. Actually, listening to the center it was the first time I could make out what the heck he was saying.

Very strange, but then again the Atmos decoding probably treats it all differently than what we see and hear as 7.1.

Here is a look at the first minute of "Woman", the 7.1

Woman 71.jpg

and the first minute of "Woman", 5.1

Woman 51.jpg

A little more investigation on "Woman". It appears that the center channel is the same for all versions of the mix. I also have concluded that the Dolby 5.1 mix is exactly the same as the rest of them, it's just about 8db quieter. If I boost the volume by 8dB, the wav files look the same.

Here is the first minute of the all 3 center channels on "Woman", all put together. With the 8db boost on the Dolby 5.1 center, you can see that they all pretty much look (and sound) the same.

centers.jpg

One last thing on "Woman". I took the 7.1 file, removed the bottom two tracks (the green ones from above post #3) since they were virtually the same as the first two channels (the fronts), leaving me a 5.1 file. I then boosted the now rears by 8db and the result was very nice. In fact, I liked it a lot better than the "real" 5.1 mix, but that's just me. Your results may vary. In essence it's probably the same as the 5.1 mix without the lead vocal bleeding into the rears.

I moved on to "I'm Losing You", a favorite of mine, and it's a pretty dense mix. Nothing is really identifiable as far as where it's at. The side channels have vocal residue, and it sounds better all together than it does apart. It's sounds GREAT when you crank it up in 5.1. I would imagine in Atmos it is a real treat!

Here is the song "Woman", from Double Fantasy. This is the extra channels from the 7.1. I would suppose these are the side channels, but honest to God this freaking Atmos confuses the crap out of me. If there are only 8 channels, I don't know where the rest come from! o_O

Is this from Gimme Some Truth Jon? (Woman TrueHD 7.1 from the Atmos mix)

Over on the Gimme Some Truth poll a user mentions a big difference between the DTS 5.1 mix and the Atmos mix. The bottom two waveform captures show he’s correct. Its more than just overall volume. These look like different mastering/mixing.

The DTS is not just an Atmos 5.1 downmix. Thoughts?

Over on the Gimme Some Truth poll a user mentions a big difference between the DTS 5.1 mix and the Atmos mix. The bottom two waveform captures show he’s correct. Its more than just overall volume. These look like different mastering/mixing.

The DTS is not just an Atmos 5.1 downmix. Thoughts?

I didn't spend much time comparing the DTS 5.1 and Atmos 5.1, but I can say without hesitation that the Dolby 5.1 mix is 8dB lower in levels than the DTS 5.1. However, it appears to be the same mix. The DTS 5.1 mix, although it is 8dB higher in volume, does not sound or appear to be maximized, although obviously some sort of tweaking was done to bring the levels closer to zero on those mixes

When I get a chance and find other things of interest with the Lennon stuff, I will post more 1 minute samples. I really thought I'd have more but I've run out of "fun" time. Gotta get back to life.

If anyone else is so inclined, jump on in. I'd love to hear your findings and discoveries. You can post 1 minute MP3 snippets. I always get them down to 16/44, then save as MP3 and the forum will allow attaching them. If you leave them too big they will fail the size limitation.

Back