Listening to Now (Fake Surround-Specify Method)

QuadraphonicQuad Home Audio Forum

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad Home Audio Forum:

LB-V

QQ Supporter
Really rock'n via Stereo 2 Surround QSD-1 style....quite a spectrum of surround...

Screenshot_20220724-232954_Apple Music.jpg

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Listening to experimental rock outfit RUSK's latest proggy-orchestral-psychedelic foray, Om Improvement, on Apple Music, using my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer. Very convincing quasi-Atmos. Can also be streamed (and purchased) from Bandcamp:

kfbkfb

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Lizzo SPECIAL album - prerecorded compact cassette (no evidence of Dolby NR):

(I bought this cassette today at Vintage Stock, I've seen a few other prerecorded cassettes there, but they weren't albums I was interested in)

Thru DPL2 music (played with a Sony CFD-S70 Boombox) - modest surround effect - in a few songs, the backing vocals were mostly in LB&RB.

(I'm making a DVD-R of my cassette [for personal use], I'll try it on my DynaQuad system later)

edit: Once again, the DynaQuad "decoding" was better than DPL2, the surround channel had content during all the songs and in a few cases could be mistaken for discrete 3 channel surround sound (too bad the receiver makers don't include a "no frills/basic" surround sound decoding mode that is DynaQuad [with all the surround speakers receiving the same audio - no THX type "decorrelation"]).

Kirk Bayne

Attachments

• L_CC1.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
  • L_CC2.pdf
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
As usual: DSU with center spread on a 5.1.4 system. When you think of Eno, you're naturally inclined to turn to the ambient catalogue for upmixable material. But the classic studio albums hold up, too: I'm getting ready to file away used copies of the 2004 DSD remasters of Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) and Here Come the Warm Jets that I picked up last summer, and they really open up, with lots of quasi-discrete elements in the rears.

kfbkfb

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003

Was discussing this album in another thread recently, had some time and I played it w/Fire 7 tablet headphone out into my upstairs DynaQuad system.

Once again, DynaQuad > DPL2 music, it's amazing how DynaQuad (many times) sounds like discrete 3 channel surround sound.

Kirk Bayne