Listening To Now In (AURO-3D)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What age?

72 (My mother). She likes High Hopes a lot by Floyd though (She always wants to hear it on my Carver ribbon speakers. Can't blame her. It's friggin' awesome on them (surround version just doesn't compare here in terms of kick drum right in the old gut even using those Carvers for the front channels).

I don't know, the only thing I have that used DTS-X is the movie Ex Machina
Kinda enjoyed that movie BTW

I've got it here, but watched it before I upgraded the home theater and haven't watched it again yet.

I've got about 50 DTS:X movies (Harry Potter ones are the most impressive sounding, better than most Atmos movies).

72 (My mother). She likes High Hopes a lot by Floyd though (She always wants to hear it on my Carver ribbon speakers. Can't blame her. It's friggin' awesome on them (surround version just doesn't compare here in terms of kick drum right in the old gut even using those Carvers for the front channels).
Ah, she's the same age as me. Surprised she didn't like George McCrae, very similar to the Motown stuff that was so big back in our days. If she didn't like The Floyd I'd think there was something serious wrong with her. LOL
I've got about 50 DTS:X movies
Wow, that's more movies than I own total.
Not really much of a Movie guy, I use my rig for Music 95+% of the time.
Normally will rent a movie from Redbox to watch once. The main exceptions are SciFi StarWars-Trek, Marvel type stuff.

Ah, she's the same age as me. Surprised she didn't like George McCrae, very similar to the Motown stuff that was so big back in our days. If she didn't like The Floyd I'd think there was something serious wrong with her. LOL

She grew up in a two-bit town (well OK Dean Martin was from Steubenville and that was opposed to my dad who grew up in a hole in the ground across the Ohio river called Mingo Junction, although the lead singer from Wild Cherry, Ron Parisi is from there too) with bad TV reception to boot and a cheap dad (I think her dad took her to see one movie growing up. Old Yeller, which she cried at when they shot the dog). I think she missed all of the normal "60s" that most experienced. She played organ/piano, but mostly listened to the Bee Gees when I was a kid, if anything at all. She started listening to the music my brother and I collected in the '80s and '90s.

Wow, that's more movies than I own total.
Not really much of a Movie guy, I use my rig for Music 95+% of the time.
Normally will rent a movie from Redbox to watch once. The main exceptions are SciFi StarWars-Trek, Marvel type stuff.

Wow. I think I own like 1300+ movies. I have 253 now in 3D alone. I've got 19 in Auro-3D, even (just hit 100 for Atmos on disc; I think I have over 200 in streaming).

I realized today that I had not yet listened to the 5.1 of Dark Side Of The Moon upmixed to 5.1.5 Auro 3D since I installed the ceiling speakers earlier this year. How could I make such an oversight? So this afternoon, I played it straight through starting at Auro Strength 10. I kept upping the strength right to the max of 16 and the whole system took it. What a trip!!!

:SB :SB :SB

(Ever since I applied Audyssey using the App rather than the internal program in the AVR, I've been able to go up to full strength of 16 without having the problem of too much mid-bass.)

The further you increase the Strength of the Auromatic effect, the more your height speakers will overpower your main speakers. Though, itā€™s a lot of fun doing it. On my AVR, I also have a choice of Small, Medium and Large which in experimenting, makes the space of the soundstage increase. Although, subtle, it really does make a difference while listening to / watching concerts when set to Large. For most of my listening, I leave it at the default of Medium and the Strength at 10, which sounds best to me. Anyone elseā€™s milage may vary. :giggle:

The further you increase the Strength of the Auromatic effect, the more your height speakers will overpower your main speakers. Though, itā€™s a lot of fun doing it. On my AVR, I also have a choice of Small, Medium and Large which in experimenting, makes the space of the soundstage increase. Although, subtle, it really does make a difference while listening to / watching concerts when set to Large. For most of my listening, I leave it at the default of Medium and the Strength at 10, which sounds best to me. Anyone elseā€™s milage may vary. :giggle:

I route the 7 main floor speakers through a Parasound P7 preamp. With this setup, I can ramp up the Auromatic strength to 16 and then increase the volume of only the floor speakers via the P7. It's easier to try different combinations that way instead of adjusting each floor speaker's volume individually with the AVR....(As many know, Auromatic strength doesn't only affect the volume of the height speakers but also tonal qualities, especially bass.)

I find that the optimum Auromatic strength is really material dependent, as is so with other decoders. But I was really surprised that 5.1 DSOTM sounded best at 16 given that I usually find 10 works best on surround music. Setting Auromatic to "small" works the best in my setup with popular music. As you say, YMMV.

With the Parasound P7, I also have the Surround Master routed through the second set of 7.1 analog inputs. I've started messing around with applying Auromatic on top of what comes out of the SM's quad outputs. It should be interesting. :unsure:

I find that the optimum Auromatic strength is really material dependent, as is so with other decoders.
Absolutely! Something about the different phase relationships in each recording makes how they respond to the various codex completely different.
I'm quite excited right now as I'm in the process of replacing the very small ceiling mounted Klipsch speakers with 4 SVS Prime Elevations. Also going to experiment with a different layout that supposed to be more friendly to a combined Atmos & Auro mix of sources. (see below) Can't wait to get them all up and wired for that first listen.. Right now gotta get back to the Holiday festivities.
Merry Christmas All. Sal
:51QQ
Pict%20Height%20SP%20Layout%20X85_DRDZILxrdwmlyt.png

Last edited:
A European recording studio contact of mine is asking about the level of awareness and use in the US of Auro 3D for playing immersive music.

Does anyone have any insight on this that I can pass on?

Thanks.

A European recording studio contact of mine is asking about the level of awareness and use in the US of Auro 3D for playing immersive music.
I don't know how much weight my info carries, I don't have any real industry insider info or like, I'm only a fairly active US audiophile who spends a lot of time on the net talking with others of the same interests.
For the most part I'd say Auro is a non-starter in the US. Very little music is even available here.
I checked my harddrive and I only have a total of 8 Auro encoded music BD and only a couple more movies. They just aren't being distributed here in any major way. A shame really since the ones I do have provide an excellent immersive listening experience. Atmos pretty much does have a strangle hold on the overhead market. AFAIK none of the streamers are streaming Auro which is a shame, I don't believe it would require any special tricks to stream. The Auro discs I have ripped only required them to be ripped as a standard flac file and playback of the flac would Auro decode without issue. On my older Marantz 7703 Pre/Pro I did have to manually select Auro first though.
Hope that was some help to you, good luck
Sal

Thanks.
I don't own any Auro 3D discs. I only use it for enhancing either stereo, quad, 5.1 or 7.1 with Auro-Matic. I think that the results are quite nice.

This is the first Auro-3D downloadable music that I have seen.

Volume One ā€“ Jam & Lewis (Auro-3D WAV) from IAA

Volume One - Jam & Lewis (Auro-3D WAV)
My first AURO-3D listen via this accessed via download purchase. A great R & B recording, with some premier artists in the game.

Well worth the purchase in my opinion, and it doesn't take up any room within my bulging shelves.

Quite an active mix with some tracks showing off some object based surround trickery- but not gimmicky.

If you are into the flow of Max Richter, JĆ³hann JĆ³hannsson or Ɠlafur Arnalds, then this is for you. Highly recommended!

Peter Gregson
Album; Touch
CD/Blu-ray
5.1 DTS-MA HD 24/192
2.0 PCM 24/192
9.1 Auro 3D 24/96

55FC11BF-BF04-445C-9B92-F1E1B59AC60F.jpeg

Back