Listening To Now In (AURO-3D)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Michael

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I’m not sure how active this Thread will become but I‘ve wanted to see a AURO-3D Thread that was devoted to listening in this one format exclusively.

Note: There is the AURO-MATIC upmixer too which basically upmixes legacy Mono, Stereo and Surround content into a natural 3D or 2D listening experience (similar to what the Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X formats) depending on the number of speakers that are installed and active. This should be reserved for a separate Thread.

Flint Juventino Beppe - Remote Galaxy (2013 2L Norway)

1619379751118.jpeg

Mando Diao - Aelita
Good music, great mix.
Probably has the most active-discrete use of the overheads of any Immersive mix I own or heard.. A demo disc for Auro/Atmos IMO.
I'm sure many will call it overdone but I like it.

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm surprised at it's lack of use. There aren't a ton of Auro music discs but I own half a dozen or more.

Last edited:
Mando Diao - Aelita
Good music, great mix.
Probably has the most active-discrete use of the overheads of any Immersive mix I own or heard.. A demo disc for Auro/Atmos IMO.
I'm sure many will call it overdone but I like it.

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm surprised at it's lack of use. There aren't a ton of Auro music discs but I own half a dozen or more.
George Mccrae Love is pretty good Amazon.com

Maybe we need to start populating this thread so members can see what's more of what's available in Auro.
Here's one for the classical guys from 2L, I believe they are offering the choice of Atmos or Auro for many/most of their immersive download files besides 2ch, 5.1, etc. Nice when you don't have to buy a big box set or even the whole BluRay but can just download what you really want and save a little $$$. Good stuff.
http://www.2l.no/
Remote Galaxy by Flint Juventino Beppe
jewercase.jpg

Like Big Band ?
The BBB featuring Bernie Dresel - Live N' Bernin'
I've have a few email conversations with Bernie, nice guy. He's been the drummer for Gordin Goodwin's - Big Phat Band at times, awesome stick man. He's a fan of the Auro surround and has used it on his last couple releases. You can get your BR's directly from him either signed or not, up to you, or from the usual sources.
https://www.berniedresel.com/
folder.jpg

I just got the George McCrae album Love in Auro-3D delivered today. The track on the demo disc sounded pretty good so hopefully I'll like the rest as well.

I really wish a full album of Jennifer Batten's Whatever album had been released in Auro-3D as I really liked the Auro demo track from that album, Ass-Whoopin'

I listened to the George McCrae album, LOVE. I'm not sure what genre it falls under exactly, a cross between '60s style pop and R&B? Anyway, it sounds pretty darn good. There are some odd instrument placements at times if you're thinking live hall (why's that guitar up on the ceiling?), but it gives massive separation to the instruments and fills the room well. It definitely has a large room feel to most of the tracks. The music itself struck me as pleasant on a first listen (good), but a bit repetitive theme-wise (the album is called "Love" and every song is about it in some variation). Given many Pure Audio discs are over $30, it seemed almost reasonable at closer to $22 delivered. Overall, I think it's a good album and very well recorded and the Auro-3D big presentation doesn't disappoint.

They have some very high prices, though. You can often find them for less elsewhere.
Yes they do....just giving folks a heads up.
(y)
Hard to find a definitive list, of exactly what is available in Auro 3D music.

The Auro site has listings for Blu-rays in Auro 3D but this is a mixture of film and music.

https://www.auro-3d.com/consumer/bluray/

I just ordered 2 more Auro-3D Pure Audio Blu-Rays, HimmelBorgan and Himmelrand. Both are church/choir ensembles performing hymnals recorded at the rededication of a church in Norway. Anyway, there's a demo on one of the Auro-3D demo discs of one of the tracks and it probably sounded the most realistic of any of them for a real space other than maybe the pipe organ. It kind of reminded me of those Monk chant albums that were popular in the 1990s. I used an Amazon kickback discount from their card to basically get 1/2 off ($42 shipped for both albums including tax). I'm not sure about the music (might fall asleep), but the demo track sounded so amazing, I want to hear them.

Himmelrand.jpg
Himmelborgan.jpg

Last edited:
Both of those Himmel-discs above include SACDs as well as the Blu-Ray with Hires Stereo, 5.1, Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos. No wonder it's normally $35....

I actually bought three SACDs in the past month as a result (Diabolo also had a SACD with it).

Hmmm, the 5.1 Surround track on the Blu-Ray is 24/192 DTS-HD MA. I didn't know DTS-HD MA could do 192kHz...(and in 5.1 no less). And then Audyssey room correction knocks it all back down to 48kHz anyway....lol.

Last edited:
Well, they are extremely well recorded church/choir/hymnal music with some really deep pipe organ thrown in.

Himmelborgan has Auro 7+4 (i.e. 13.1 minus CH/TS) on it. Himmelrand has Auro 9.1 on it. Both have Dolby Atmos that sounds pretty similar with the same speaker arrangements. To my ears, at least, the 5.1 24/192 (which I tried without Audyssey to see if it sounded any better; it didn't) sounds a bit "fake" in terms of the room as the side surrounds have too much coming out of them or something. With Auro-3D or Atmos it's pretty much perfect sounding. I'd swear the roof of the room is like 100 feet high or something at some points. The choir layers back from the mains behind the screen depending on which are singing (i.e. lower voices are closer up front). It's pretty impressive sounding...if you enjoy church music. ;)

With the addition of another Monoprice 2-in, 2-out switch box that can do impedance matched parallel drive, I can now run a true Auro 11.1 (well using 9.1 output) cinema setup with full side surround and surround height arrays (4 sets of side surrounds are arrayed in this mode and 2 sets of overheads, namely surround height and rear surrounds). The difference for some Auro recordings is UNREAL! I thought those church recordings mentioned above sounded pretty real before. I was wrong! This sounded so real I almost had to slap myself to see if I was dreaming because with my eyes closed, it sounded like I was actually there! The extra arrayed speakers must give more points to render the simulated reflections or something because somehow it sounded crazy realistic. I spent so much time playing with it, I'm not going to get much sleep. God, what if did imagine it all.... :D

Overall, I think it's a good album and very well recorded and the Auro-3D big presentation doesn't disappoint.
George McCray - Love,
Big thanks for this recommendation Magnum, got mine this morning and played it twice so far. If you like "discrete" use of the channels (I do), this is one to grab. As Mag stated there's a lot of use of the overhead channels, they are very active. My little 5.2.4 rig won't deliver the soundspace in the way Mag's million channel system will but this recording really shows off what it's got.
Some will call it gimmickry, I just call it fun. It's a love theme'd album in the style of Barry White, the perfect background for a night by the fire with your sweety, a glass of wine, and a rolling a fat one. ;)
Grab one, they're cheap.

I'm glad you liked it. I played a couple of tracks for a family member and they hated it (music, not the sound).

I need more Auro and/or Atmos albums! Where is DTS in all this? They pioneered the discrete 5.1 music CD and other than some demo discs that use DTS:X, they seem to be staying out of the immersive music fray.

Back