Listening to Now (In AVR DSP Pseudo-Surround)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

kfbkfb

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
[thread title change request - add something to the effect of "please mention surround synthesizer type"]

(there are now so many surround sound synthesizer systems, from passive (no logic) type to Atmos type, some based on Dolby Labs tech, some on DTS tech and some on QS or SQ matrix tech or upmixing unrelated to matrix tech)

Kirk Bayne

kfbkfb

Since 2002/2003
playlist (CD): the very best of santana (just purchased for $5 from Walmart)

Stereo to surround sound via DPL2 music - one unusual thing related to "brickwalling" (this CD provides fairly good surround sound):

I have my Blu-ray player connected to the digital in on my receiver, I start with the volume display at -30dB (works well for most DD and DTS DVDs/Blu-rays), but this CD seems brickwalled, I had to turn down the volume to -35dB and after a few songs, down to -40dB, first album I've had that gets more brickwalled as it plays.

Kirk Bayne

Perpendicular

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Crap! I didn’t know this Thread existed. While listening to two-channel movies and music on my home theater system, I‘ve always used the Auro-3D Auromatic up-mixer on my AVR. About a week ago, I switched to Dolby Surround. I tried DTS Neural but did not care for it. The Auromatic upmixer is great in that it pretty much retains the original frontal stereo image except that it raises the soundstage, instead of sounding flat. Dolby Surround gives me a more enveloping feel with a bit of that soundstage height. Though, I do find Dolby Surround can artificially brighten music and add a bit more bass. I find that I like both for different reasons.

humprof

Junior Senior
I love Mahler's symphonies and his song cycles, so I can't explain why I don't love Das Lied von der Erde. But listening to this EMI compilation of Das Lied together with the Kindertotenlieder, Rückert-Lieder, Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen, and excerpts from Des knaben Wunderhorn, I like it all equally. These recordings mostly come from Abbey Road in the late 50s and 60s, although Wunderhorn is from 1987. Janet Baker with Barbirolli, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau with Paul Kletzki, Lucia Popp with Tennstedt. DSU with center spread on a 5.2.4 system. Vocal stays in the fronts, with elements of the orchestra spread pleasingly around the room. (Ambience in the overheads.) Sounds at least as good as what the majors are mixing in Atmos for Apple Music.

Last edited:

kfbkfb

Since 2002/2003

Just purchased from Walmart for $7 - DPL2 music - no evidence of brickwalling, surround effect varies a lot between songs, fairly good on "Truly".

When I hear the the song "Say you say me" I think back to my 1985-10 Florida vacation - FM station BJ105 had an exclusive on this song and on their version, a DJ would whisper "BJ105" a few times during the quieter parts.

Kirk Bayne

kfbkfb

Since 2002/2003
Yes, maybe they should be merged, possibly with a note in the thread name to please mention what sort of device was used to create the fake quad.

Kirk Bayne