Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s just one guy, but he’s been secretly shaping the experimental electronic scene since 2007. His early works blend drone ambient and noise, but other projects thought other pseudonyms helped make the underground genre Vaporwave, and he’s gone on to do the soundtrack to Good Time, and the Sadfie Brothers follow up film Uncut Gems, starring Adam Sandler (which the FILM has an Atmos soundtrack, with select songs definitely being mixed in Atmos, but no Atmos release of the soundtrack yet)

I fear the apple upload is borked however, at least for me. It’s complete silence on the track Long Road Home, which considering it’s one of the few tracks to get a music video, is definitely wrong…
Well said about OPN! He's truly a pioneer, and is definitely one of the most important electronic artists of the 21st century. Hopefully we'll get some more OPN in atmos even if this release seems to be a bit rough, the tracks that do work on apple music do sound amazing. Having his album R Plus Seven in atmos would be unreal.

Does it appear that the quad titles that AF had out on SACD several years ago, that now appear on Apple use the mastering from those SACDs? Are they ripping the SACDs, or recording the analog outputs from a SACD player, and beaming that up onto Apple Music? I would think we should be able to tell.

It would save them some mastering costs this way, more power to them if so, whatever it takes to get this whole thing off the ground.

I’m pretty sure these are the original quad masters from the studios. I doubt they are using the AF SACDs as the source.

I’m pretty sure these are the original quad masters from the studios. I doubt they are using the AF SACDs as the source.
Why do you think so? Just asking, I have no proof either way.

I know AF provided the label with at least one copy of every title issued by AF of the work.

I’m just guessing. There’s a lot more quads than those AFs in Atmos and RA360, so I figured they’re all coming from quad masters.

I’m just guessing. There’s a lot more quads than those AFs in Atmos and RA360, so I figured they’re all coming from quad masters.

That, and (I think I'm plagiarizing--and I hope not misrepresenting--@sjcorne here) if you compare, say, a Dolby Audio quad against its corresponding D-V title (in cases where there's a D-V match), the former sounds "flat," as in unmastered.

Haha BOC are great too, Dayvan Cowboy or Reach for the Dead would be insane in atmos.

I would love to have a go at surround mixing ‘Music has the right to Children’- would do some crazy mind blowing stuff with the hypnotic ‘Aquarius’ track. Bet I am not the only person to dissect songs into their potential surround elements.

Last edited:
Why do you think so? Just asking, I have no proof either way.

I know AF provided the label with at least one copy of every title issued by AF of the work.
My guess is the reason you’re seeing some of those AF titles is because the label/artist/title are more amenable to licensing.

I suppose it’s possible they’re using the AF mastering, but I agree with HomerJAU and Humprof that they’re new or flat masterings from the quad masters.

Maybe others might disagree, but for instance, I was listening to Jeff Beck’s Wired last night and, from memory, I didn’t think it sounded like the JSACD (which is not AF, I know, but the same principle applies).

My guess is the reason you’re seeing some of those AF titles is because the label/artist/title are more amenable to licensing.

I suppose it’s possible they’re using the AF mastering, but I agree with HomerJAU and Humprof that they’re new or flat masterings from the quad masters.

Maybe others might disagree, but for instance, I was listening to Jeff Beck’s Wired last night and, from memory, I didn’t think it sounded like the JSACD (which is not AF, I know, but the same principle applies).

yes! i was surprised to also find the Dolby Audio rendering of "Wired" on Apple Music sounded different from how i remembered the Japanese MultiCh SACD. i have no way to A/B it so its just a gut reaction but interesting we share the finding.

yes! i was surprised to also find the Dolby Audio rendering of "Wired" on Apple Music sounded different from how i remembered the Japanese MultiCh SACD. i have no way to A/B it so its just a gut reaction but interesting we share the finding.
I was going to say something it didn’t sound “at all” like the JSACD, but because I was going from memory I didn’t want to be incorrectly hyperbolic. But my memory is the JSACD has more “balls” and bottom-end oomph (for lack of more delicate precise terminology…)

I do have both (SACD is on the music server) but I’m too lazy to compare them.

Last edited:

I'd guess they used the digital transfer of the quad master done for the SACD release, but without any of the mastering EQ moves.

I was going to say something it didn’t sound “at all” like the JSACD, but because I was going from memory I didn’t want to be incorrectly hyperbolic. But my memory is the JSACD has more “balls” and bottom-end oomph (for lack of more delicate precise terminology…)

I do have both (SACD is on the music server) but I’m too lazy to compare them.

doesn't the JSACD have a synthesized LFE?
guessing the Dolby Audio does away with that?
its weird because the SQ Quad LP never had tons of low end on my rig and boom the SACD came along with oodles of the stuff, it was positively chest-pounding! 🤯

edit: isn't Wired one of those JSACDs with a faux Centre as well? or had they ditched doing that by then? 🧐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back