Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday when I listened to the tracks from the new Tears For Fears album, they were showing on my AppleTV just as lossless and apple master, but they played in Atmos!

Hopefully it makes its way over to Tidal!

So yesterday when I listened to the tracks from the new Tears For Fears album, they were showing on my AppleTV just as lossless and apple master, but they played in Atmos!

Apple Music is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get.

I really hate they way they do that. Dolby Atmos/Audio mixes should be separate releases, not mixed with the stereo release so that you get different things depending on what device you use or day of the week it is.

The first track of the Brandi Carlile album In These Silent Days, Atmos mix, is missing on Tidal. Has this always been the case? Is it missing on Apple Music?

The first track of the Brandi Carlile album In These Silent Days, Atmos mix, is missing on Tidal. Has this always been the case? Is it missing on Apple Music?
The first song, Right On Time, appears and plays in Atmos on Apple TV, for me anyway. Actually it plays in 5.1 for me, since I don't have an Atmos system, but it's labelled as Atmos on the ATV4K, like the other tracks on the album.

The first song, Right On Time, appears and plays in Atmos on Apple TV, for me anyway. Actually it plays in 5.1 for me, since I don't have an Atmos system, but it's labelled as Atmos on the ATV4K, like the other tracks on the album.

Thanks. I guess I need to figure out the best way to contact Tidal?

Just to expand a bit on this release in general: it's not much of a surround mix, at least in 5.1. The center channel is completely silent, and the rears aren't very active either, either silent or with harmony/background vocals or selected instruments at relatively low volume. Still, the album sounds good, and it's really growing on me. I enjoyed seeing Brandi live, in a very joyous, energetic and rocking performance at an outdoor festival in 2019, but I've never spent much time on her studio releases. Yet again, having an album available in streaming surround (even if only a "big stereo" presentation) has led me to listen more, and gain appreciation for something I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Last edited:
Indubitably.
Almost in time for the 40th Anniversary! 😅
Something's not right. Tom Sawyer and Limelight are way louder than the other 5 tracks. WTF?!
How's the mix? I was hoping and praying for a Steven Wilson remix but I fear that it is probably Chycki. I will not have a chance to listen until later.

Not that strange, Silver Springs was not on the original album, although they did insert it in the middle of the track list and do a 5.1 mix on the DVD-Audio. Think of it as a "bonus track" on this release.
Very interesting Atmos mix here. Acoustic guitar is everywhere in Never Going Back Again, to great effect. Lead vocals a bit low in Don't Stop, to my liking

I'm not Baggy, but I just checked this, because previously I had only seen Tom Sawyer and Limelight in Atmos on Apple Music. But happily, the whole album is now there in Atmos!
Yes it is here in Greece as well !
E70A21ED-F560-4BC6-AECA-C5F20640722A.jpeg

How's the mix? I was hoping and praying for a Steven Wilson remix but I fear that it is probably Chycki. I will not have a chance to listen until later.
It's the same Tom Sawyer (yuck) and Limelight (ok) that have been up a while. The other tracks are so much quieter that I think they went through a different process. They do play back multichannel, but I did not analyze their mixes. Possibly upmixes of some kind. Maybe the deluxe 5.1 mixes from a while back.

It's the same Tom Sawyer (yuck) and Limelight (ok) that have been up a while. The other tracks are so much quieter that I think they went through a different process. They do play back multichannel, but I did not analyze their mixes. Possibly upmixes of some kind. Maybe the deluxe 5.1 mixes from a while back.
Thanks. There should be an announcement about the 40th (41st?) anniversary box set soon, so hopefully all will be revealed. In the meantime, I will give it a listen later today - being sure to skip Tom Sawyer and Limelight, of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back