Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. What I meant was how many Atmos releases have there been on Blu-ray.
Dozens, if you count independent classical labels like Sono Luminus and 2L? (Probably not hundreds--yet. But maybe.) Pop and rock, probably more like mid-two figures, but that may be an underestimate too.

Dozens, if you count independent classical labels like Sono Luminus and 2L? (Probably not hundreds--yet. But maybe.) Pop and rock, probably more like mid-two figures, but that may be an underestimate too.
Not counting classical. Is there a list somewhere? It really isn't that many at this point compared to streaming.

Not counting classical. Is there a list somewhere? It really isn't that many at this point compared to streaming.
Not as far as I know. Only about 15 titles in my collection. I can think of maybe another dozen or so that I don't have/wasn't interested in. Lots of them are limited editions & already OOP. No contest with streaming, that's for sure.

Since we have two of these threads (this one and Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple), I was thinking about amending the name of this one slightly to something like "Listening to in Dolby Atmos (BluRay/Physical Media) and moving it to either the BluRay Audio Discussion forum, or the Object-Based Surround forum. Good idea/bad idea? Thoughts?
Yeah it's pretty confusing and would especially be to a newcomer not aware of the distinction. The trouble is the first 100 or so pages are about streaming, when Tidal launched discrete Atmos and then it weirdly became physical only. Probably be better just to close this thread and let people post stuff for physical discs in the Listening to now in surround? They might have their own threads anyway as most physical releases do...

Yeah it's pretty confusing and would especially be to a newcomer not aware of the distinction. The trouble is the first 100 or so pages are about streaming, when Tidal launched discrete Atmos and then it weirdly became physical only. Probably be better just to close this thread and let people post stuff for physical discs in the Listening to now in surround? They might have their own threads anyway as most physical releases do...

Actually, I like this idea best, given the small number (overall) of physical atmos releases, and the (as you say) muddled nature of this thread, especially since you were the esteemed member who started it. ;) I'll give this a while for anyone else to have their "speak now or forever hold your peace" at the ceremony moment, but barring any great objections I'll post links to the two other threads and then lock this one.

This is far from fully accurate or comprehensive, but if you search Discogs for blue-ray+atmos, it returns 207:
https://www.discogs.com/search/?limit=250&q=blu-ray+atmos&type=all&type=all&page=1However, this includes classical and some that are not audio-only, and there are some duplicates.
If you look at the left sidebar, it shows that out of the 207, 48 are Classical and 26 are Stage & Screen. Still, considering that some small-label and/or very limited releases no doubt haven't been added to Discogs, there seems to be well over a hundred non-classical Blu-ray Atmos music-only discs that have been released.

I think the delineation I'm trying to make here is one thread is for streaming and one is for physical releases, because the streaming thread generally is full of links to Apple Music and Tidal, whereas this thread is primarily full of photographs of either discs/packaging or playback menus on people's home theater setups. The lossy/lossless thing isn't irrelevant, but I think it's less relevant than the mode of transport (ie physical vs. digital streaming/downloads) not to mention that BluRay discs aren't lossless by default and Atmos streaming could very well one day be upgraded to losless TrueHD Atmos instead of the current lossy DD+ Atmos.
I agree with this idea.

In the end we like (or should like) the music style and the mix quality, or production in general.

Lossy/lossless should not be the relevant thing when we like the music.

We then have different supports (physical disk, streaming and downloads) that I think that determines the way to acquire the music of each one. It would we as the different "shops" to find the music.

I think one big difference between the streaming and physical threads is that the physical thread is more of a "here is what I am listening to now" thread and the streaming thread is more of a "hey, look what I found that was just released".

With physical releases there isn't that "hey look what new thing I found" aspect.

So maybe a "previously released, listening to now" which I kind of figured this thread was anyway, but turn the streaming only thread into a "just released, or look what I found" kind of thread.

how about retitling the thread;

"What's The Latest Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio Streaming track(s) added to your Apple Music/Tidal Library?"

gets around the current situation where people feel they have to apologise just in case someone else already posted about that track/album before, which is frankly rather silly! 😋

I find it peculiar that some want to count and report on Atmos physical discs, but NOT classical? How about not female vocals, or not jazz? Seems an absurd delineation. My $.02

I find it peculiar that some want to count and report on Atmos physical discs, but NOT classical? How about not female vocals, or not jazz? Seems an absurd delineation. My $.02
I was simply making a point that there aren't many Blu-ray discs. Jeez. How many classical discs in Atmos do you own?

I'm interested in ATMOS music on physical discs and acquiring the ones I want as released. Anybody want to take the time to recommend non-classical (sorry!) physical discs other than the list of ones I have? The best for me so far is Porcupine Tree C/C. My others are the two Beatles, John Lennon Gimme some Truth, Pineapple Thief (Gavin's remixes) and the new Riverside on order. Now gents: What should i spend my "allowance" on next?

I'm interested in ATMOS music on physical discs and acquiring the ones I want as released. Anybody want to take the time to recommend non-classical (sorry!) physical discs other than the list of ones I have? The best for me so far is Porcupine Tree C/C. My others are the two Beatles, John Lennon Gimme some Truth, Pineapple Thief (Gavin's remixes) and the new Riverside on order. Now gents: What should i spend my "allowance" on next?
I really like the new Brian Eno, but it's clearly not rock...much more of a 2am atmospheric thing (but then again, that's Eno :) ). The physical disc has much more of a foundation than the compressed streaming version, of course. But streaming gives you a great idea, at about 90% of the impact.

If you like electronic music, Yello's Point album is a demo disc for Atmos. Pretty reasonably priced from JPC once the VAT gets knocked off during checkout:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/yello-point/hnum/10367035
Also, the Kraftwerk sets are amazing but out of print and pricey these days. Both can be sampled via streaming on Tidal or Apple Music.

I couldn't find your ATMOS list so I'm sorry if you have these listed already. If you like Beatles related, you might try George Harrison's All Things Must Pass released last year. If you like Progressive rock, then you might try Gentle Giant - Free Hand or King Crimson 1969 recordings (has ATMOS mix of In The Court of The Crimson King). I've seen that at super reduced prices lately.

One of the most highly regarded ATMOS physical releases is Kraftwerk 3D - The Catalogue. You may also want to look for Booka Shade - Movements and Dear Future Self. There's also Automatic For The People - 25th Anniversary.

There are some upcoming releases in ATMOS - Frank Zappa Waka / Wazoo. I assume that you've looked into the SDE releases as they are mentioned here frequently. I hope this helps.

As suggested by Mr. Smithers, I'm going to close this thread as it duplicates content from a couple of other active threads.

If you'd like to post about new Atmos streaming releases, use this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-dolby-atmos-streaming-via-tidal-apple.31491/
...and if you'd like to post about any other kind of Atmos release, including (but not limited to) BluRays and downloads, use this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/listening-to-now-in-surround-volume-2.20127/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back