Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I want to get drunk and dance naked. Atmos playback from the Blu Ray disc. So happy I bought this. On screen visuals are an added bonus.
61IX4puB9cL._SX522_.jpg

Some new additions to Tidal as of March 12, 2021:

Nick Jonas - Spaceman Nick Jonas - Spaceman
Free Nationals - Instrumentals Free Nationals - Free Nationals (Instrumentals)
Pink Sweat$ - Pink Planet Pink Sweat$ - PINK PLANET
Celebrating Women's History Month (most tracks have been released already on other playlists and albums, but there seem to be a few new tracks) Dolby Atmos Music: Celebrating Women's History Month

Cool, I'd not seen the Roberta Flack - What's Going On song before. :phones

I hope you are all doing well. I got super into the ripping of Atmos music with @HomerJAU and @MrSmithers and I thought you might like my take on some of the rips and see if we all agree?
My rips have been MakeMKV and then tagged with Music Media Helper.
Music Media Helper has expanded and become completely great for Blu Ray Atmos ripping thanks to HomerJau.
Once tagged and put away in my NAS and then played via my JRiver I have had a great experience. I am not sure if KODI plays back the same way but you can tell me.
JRiver on video, does not play pack gapless with chapters (tracks). It does on the audio section of JRiver but we are not talking about that.
So a choice after rip is either chapters with video content or the full non chaptered rip, which will play gapless on JRiver like what a movie would be. Below are my recommendations.

Abbey Road: Must keep full film rip. This release has 10 gapless tracks. The good news about the full film rip is the onscreen song selection changes so you always know where you are at.
Live Baby Live: Well it is a movie and although the full rip does not have song titles, chapters only is a poor choice.
Kick 30: Keep full film rip. two songs are much needed gapless and the stationary on screen menu has song titles just like Abbey Road.
Goats Head Soup: Best is chapters as you get everything and no songs need gapless. You could go either way on this, I like chapters better.
Point Yello: The on screen is black showing nothing and chapters are better as you can tag the chapters (tracks) with song titles. Gapless not needed.
Galvany Street: The on screen is black showing nothing and chapters are better as you can tag the chapters (tracks) with song titles. Gapless not needed.
Dear Future Self: The on screen is black showing nothing and chapters are better as you can tag the chapters (tracks) with song titles. Gapless not needed.
King Crimson 2020 Atmos: Chapters are best. On screen shows track listing. No gapless needed.
The Traveler: Chapters are best for track tagging. On screen is black.
Perry Farrell Kind Heaven: This gets my vote for #1 best chapter look, incredible. Chapters are best.
Lichtmond The Journey: This is a lose/lose on this and I choose full film. It does play gapless so full film is best but each sequence does not have on screen track title. I choose the not knowing of chapters as the gapless was more important to me.
The Future Bites: Either way is OK. Probably full film is best as the on screen film shows song titles.
Kraftwerk 3-D Catalogue: This is another toss up as gapless is needed but I last watched with chapters and the track splits are pretty fast so not that big of a deal and I like knowing the names of songs via chapters tagged.
Found out from @MrSmithers that all songs on The Mix are duplicates, so I deleted all the songs except Planet Of Visions and added to Techno Pop. I did not rip the CONCERT discs, I don't need to see the 4 of them standing.

These are all the music Atmos discs at present that I have ripped and own. I am just sharing this as of course anyone can keep the full rip and the chapters but that doubles hard drive space and I am wanting to get into practice for the future.

My JRiver as always is working flawlessly and with the added work on MMH that @HomerJAU put in it has been a wonderful experience. NO, I am not on drugs but I have been seriously tweaking with this the last week and really has paid off.

Perry Farrell Kind Heaven: This gets my vote for #1 best chapter look, incredible. Chapters are best.

I was a big Jane's/P4P fan and just wondering what you think of this release? I'm a bit turned off by the high price.

By the way I was so into Jane's that I traded for Psi Com stuff (demos, live,etc) back in the early days of the net (xiola dot com) so I'm familiar with the songs, etc. 14th Floor was always my favorite.

The only issue with playing a full album as MKV without splitting into chapter files (individual songs) is it’s not easy to play a specific song from the album. I like to do that. I also do this for all my concert discs.

Also as individual files per song I can include those songs in playlists for both audio albums and concerts. I do this a lot to setup good playlists which I use for evenings with friends. Just play a Best of playlist for Quad, Surround, Guitar music, 70s classics etc. I can then just let the selected playlist play without interrupting conversion etc.

For Kodi, I always have the ArtistSlideshow running for audio files, so that’s more interesting to watch than the BDA images as it also displays Artist information in a ticker tape at the bottom of the SlideShow. I’ve discovered some interesting facts about some artists I never knew too.

I was a big Jane's/P4P fan and just wondering what you think of this release? I'm a bit turned off by the high price.

By the way I was so into Jane's that I traded for Psi Com stuff (demos, live,etc) back in the early days of the net (xiola dot com) so I'm familiar with the songs, etc. 14th Floor was always my favorite.
Well, I bought it for the Atmos which is quite good, the one disc in Atmos is called Kind heaven.
The other 5 CD's are good but all in the style, of course Perry Farrell.
To be honest what I liked the most about the box set was the book, his life story and how it was written was quite good.

The only issue with playing a full album as MKV without splitting into chapter files (individual songs) is it’s not easy to play a specific song from the album. I like to do that. I also do this for all my concert discs.

Also as individual files per song I can include those songs in playlists for both audio albums and concerts. I do this a lot to setup good playlists which I use for evenings with friends. Just play a Best of playlist for Quad, Surround, Guitar music, 70s classics etc. I can then just let the selected playlist play without interrupting conversion etc.

For Kodi, I always have the ArtistSlideshow running for audio files, so that’s more interesting to watch than the BDA images as it also displays Artist information in a ticker tape at the bottom of the SlideShow. I’ve discovered some interesting facts about some artists I never knew too.

With all the different views in jRiver, one should be "show chapters as list" for MKVs...

I am feeling spoiled. I have noticed just this week that when I listen to surround, 5.1 or 4.0 I am not as satisfied as when I listen to Dolby Atmos.
I think this is just temporary because listening to the same 13 Atmos albums can get boring.
I noticed I have turned up the volume a little while listening to non atmos surround to fill the room a little more.
Stereo I still enjoy, it's just different than any kind of surround.
Do any of you feel the same way about surround vs Atmos?

I am feeling spoiled. I have noticed just this week that when I listen to surround, 5.1 or 4.0 I am not as satisfied as when I listen to Dolby Atmos.
I think this is just temporary because listening to the same 13 Atmos albums can get boring.
I noticed I have turned up the volume a little while listening to non atmos surround to fill the room a little more.

I feel similar, But I use to check if with an upmixer (DSU, Neural) the 5.1 improves. For some it does, although not for all.
When the AVR is configured for Auro, I always engage Auromatic.

Do you use upmixers for 5.1?

...I think this is just temporary because listening to the same 13 Atmos albums can get boring.

Doing that we may be in danger of losing the emotion of listening the immersive 3D music. Is good to listen just stereo from time to time.

I remember the first times when I started with music in Atmos and it was really wonderful and incredible. Now, not so much as you get used to it :confused:

Until you listen new things :) as I'm doing now with Big Phat Band - The Gordian Knot, still in Atmos. I have yet to compare with Auro-3D

I feel similar, But I use to check if with an upmixer (DSU, Neural) the 5.1 improves. For some it does, although not for all.
When the AVR is configured for Auro, I always engage Auromatic.

Do you use upmixers for 5.1?
When I listen to music, I don't know why but I am a purist and only like to listen the way it comes. Always been that way for me even when I got my first 5.1 processor in the early 90's.
I have a few Penteo Upmixes of stereo releases and except for a very few, I prefer the stereo.
Now, all that said, when watching any kind of TV especially movies I have my settings to the Dolby Digital Neural X and I like it. Except if it is released in Atmos.
I have also been listening more to the available Atmos from Tidal which many are real good.
When I listen to my JRiver music I never enable the upmix or downmix selection.

Yeah I feel the same, there's just that extra dimension to a really good Atmos mix. Obviously there's still brilliant 5.1 and legacy quad mixes. Part of what makes them so good is that they are well thought out and mixed discretely. And the same applies to Atmos/object based mixing... There's no point in just putting reverb into the extra channels - you could do that yourself with a setting on your AVR.

I have noticed a few Atmos tracks where I'm 'looking' at sounds coming from the middle of the room and moving around. Where there aren't actually any speakers?! It's a really cool effect.

I think the only trouble with Atmos so far is just not enough content (like legacy classic albums). Hopefully that'll change... We have Abbey Road which is pretty high up there, and for me that Atmos mix is just superb - and offers something the 5.1 just can't go to.

Lets hope we get more great stuff soon... :phones

Lichtmond
The Journey

This will seriously test any Atmos set up to the max.

Coupled with fantastic graphics , which I'm not doing justice to, as I don't have a 3D TV.

This would give Yello's 'Point' a run for it's money.

For those who don't have this release and are looking to expand their Atmos collection, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Not getting as much time as I would like to revisit these releases, as it's full on up the allotment.

But when I can ....this gets the Marshall 11 treatment!!

https://www.discogs.com/Lichtmond-The-Journey/release/9235282

Last edited:
Lichtmond
The Journey

This will seriously test any Atmos set up to the max.

Coupled with fantastic graphics , which I'm not doing justice to, as I don't have a 3D TV.

This would give Yello's 'Point' a run for it's money.

For those who don't have this release and are looking to expand their Atmos collection, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Not getting as much time as I would like to revisit these releases, as it's full on up the allotment.

But when I can ....this gets the Marshall 11 treatment!!

https://www.discogs.com/Lichtmond-The-Journey/release/9235282

I confirm:

- The Video 3D of Lichtmond-The Journey is so good, that my wife that usually get sick and doesn't like to watch 3D, wanted to see it completely until the end.
- We watch the Video 3D, at the Kitchen, in a 55'' 3D TV with only Stereo Sound. So far, so good.
- But also, I watch it in all its full glory, at the Home Cinema room with Dolby Atmos, and 122'' screen Projector.... BUT Only 2D.

This has been the first time that I really want a 3D Projector. For now, I have to chose between '122'' 2D Dolby Atmos' or '55'' 3D Stereo'. A difficult choice :)

Very generous of you to share, and I look forward to listening! (My high-school girlfriend was the daughter of a Latvian immigrant, so I have a soft spot for your country's culture....)

Bandcamp allows vendors to sell multichannel music, but they don't make it easy--which is to say, your customers won't be able to download directly from Bandcamp in the same way that they would with stereo FLACs or mp3s. How it typically works is that Bandcamp collects the money from the sale, then you email the customer and provide them with a download link to your own cloud storage.

Another option might be ImmersiveAudioAlbum.com.

Thank you @humprof for suggesting ImmersiveAudioAlbum.com! Our album is available for download: Auļi - Visapkārt (Atmos encoded - WAV 5.1 Download) For some reason they have encoded it from atmos to 5.1, but anyway it is better than stereo! :cool:

Thank you @humprof for suggesting ImmersiveAudioAlbum.com! Our album is available for download: Auļi - Visapkārt (Atmos encoded - WAV 5.1 Download) For some reason they have encoded it from atmos to 5.1, but anyway it is better than stereo! :cool:

Great to see your album for sale! It's confusing that they're describing it as "Atmos encoded WAV 5.1," though. As far as I know, there's no way for a WAV file to contain Atmos metadata. They should be able to make your album available as Atmos encoded MP4s, just as they've done with the "A Bad Think" single:

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/too-far-gone-single-a-bad-think-atmos-encoded-5-download/

I read an article in this morning's New York Times about English electronic musician Sam Shepherd, a/k/a Floating Points, collaborating on a new release with Pharoah Sanders and the LSO--and thought: "This guy's music would be a natural candidate for Atmos." And sure enough: three years ago he did a live performance at Ministry of Sound--in Atmos (64 speakers/22 channels)--of his album Ratio. But neither that album nor any other has actually been released in Atmos. What gives?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/arts/music/floating-points-pharoah-sanders-promises-review.html
https://hyponik.com/news/floating-p...roject-remastered-dolby-atmos-ministry-sound/
https://www.documentjournal.com/201...he-perfect-soundtrack-for-our-existing-chaos/
https://floatingpoints.bandcamp.com/music

I confirm:

- The Video 3D of Lichtmond-The Journey is so good, that my wife that usually get sick and doesn't like to watch 3D, wanted to see it completely until the end.
- We watch the Video 3D, at the Kitchen, in a 55'' 3D TV with only Stereo Sound. So far, so good.
- But also, I watch it in all its full glory, at the Home Cinema room with Dolby Atmos, and 122'' screen Projector.... BUT Only 2D.

This has been the first time that I really want a 3D Projector. For now, I have to chose between '122'' 2D Dolby Atmos' or '55'' 3D Stereo'. A difficult choice :)
Time to get Atmos in the kitchen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back