Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bizarre question...but here is my short answer. I pre-ordered Plastic Ono Band and while most on here are cancelling or returning it, I'm keeping mine. :rocks
I don’t see it as a bizarre question. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone is only streaming surround music rather than purchasing discs. I even thought about doing just that someday cause I am running out of room to store these damn discs and sets. o_O

I don’t see it as a bizarre question. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone is only streaming surround music rather than purchasing discs. I even thought about doing just that someday cause I am running out of room to store these damn discs and sets. o_O
It's always hard to tell the tone on the internet, sorry it just was odd to me at first, if you've seen most of my postings on this matter are me being all old school and wanting physical releases preferably over streaming.

(I also just got a copy of Billy Joel The Stranger (Japan version), and I already have the original SACD.)

However, I'm just all about supporting surround/immersive music in whichever format I can get it - physical or streaming. In fact, on Tidal, the only stereo album I have ♥'ed is Mike Viera's Disturbing the Universe. I figure if Tidal ever looks at my favorites they'll see I only listen to the Atmos offerings. But I also have Qobuz and TBH I dislike paying for both, but I barely use Qobuz, have it for the fact I can get high res without buying into MQA nonsense. And I hold out hope that Qobuz will get competitive with Tidal and get Atmos too (and an app for ATV4k).

It's always hard to tell the tone on the internet, sorry it just was odd to me at first, if you've seen most of my postings on this matter are me being all old school and wanting physical releases preferably over streaming.

(I also just got a copy of Billy Joel The Stranger (Japan version), and I already have the original SACD.)

However, I'm just all about supporting surround/immersive music in whichever format I can get it - physical or streaming. In fact, on Tidal, the only stereo album I have ♥'ed is Mike Viera's Disturbing the Universe. I figure if Tidal ever looks at my favorites they'll see I only listen to the Atmos offerings. But I also have Qobuz and TBH I dislike paying for both, but I barely use Qobuz, have it for the fact I can get high res without buying into MQA nonsense. And I hold out hope that Qobuz will get competitive with Tidal and get Atmos too (and an app for ATV4k).
And, what I didn’t think about previously is that maybe someone started late collecting surround discs and streams many of the Atmos albums they don’t have or are unavailable on disc. Or, they want to hear the Tidal version first before a purchase. (y)

And, what I didn’t think about previously is that maybe someone started late collecting surround discs and streams many of the Atmos albums they don’t have or are unavailable on disc. Or, they want to hear the Tidal version first before a purchase. (y)
For sure!! Not everyone is dinosaurs like us...I've been buying surround discs since late 90's and we know many on here started in quad LP or 8 track days of the 70's :SB

Lately, the last few days and even few weeks, Tidal has been on fire with Atmos releases. If they can stay consistent and keep up the pace, it will quickly become worth the monthly subscription.
The Tom Petty Wildflower is worth at least a couple of months subscriptions to me alone.And then there's Lennon and Linkin Park and more. :cool: I'm still buyin disc's,but I have to be selective because I can't afford everything.
Nice to hear the Lennon on Tidal,not much Atmos action but very good fidelity.:)

Last edited:
I have a relatively dumb question. All these (not that there are so many) Atmos titles you all find on Tidal. Will they "remain in Tidal's rotation forever"? Or, is there a chance that they put some up, see no one listens and remove them?

I'm content to not subscribe at this point, as I know I'd tire of it after a couple months of nothing new or to my liking. But, I guess if the catalogue keeps growing and they remain....it's possibly worth considering. I mean, what will this look like in 2 years?

Additionally Atmos streaming is DD+/Atmos whereas on Blu-ray/4KUHD you'll get TrueHD/Atmos, so for something like "Future Bites" which is available in TrueHD/Atmos on Blu-ray and DD+/Atmos on streaming Atmos services, it's a no brainer for me to pick up the disc.

I use Apple TV 4K and others use FireSticks

The NVidia Shield also supports DD+/Atmos, I have the 2019 Pro model and got a 2 month trial of Tidal yesterday for CDN$6, right away I was able to find all the Atmos titles being mentioned in here like Future Bites. I went with the 2019 Pro model as it has 3GB RAM and has no issues with 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray back-ups streaming from my PC using Plex, whereas the tube model only has 2GB RAM and stutters (useless actually). It also supports TrueHD/Atmos and DD+/Atmos from MKV files, which was the main reason I got it as the FireStick wouldn't do it.

I have a relatively dumb question. All these (not that there are so many) Atmos titles you all find on Tidal. Will they "remain in Tidal's rotation forever"? Or, is there a chance that they put some up, see no one listens and remove them?

I'm content to not subscribe at this point, as I know I'd tire of it after a couple months of nothing new or to my liking. But, I guess if the catalogue keeps growing and they remain....it's possibly worth considering. I mean, what will this look like in 2 years?
So far, I don't think I've seen any Atmos titles on Tidal that were previously available made unavailable. So hopefully they stay forever. I can't think of a good reason why they would even bother to take anything down, unless at the request of the artist.

I did a quick listen on the Tom Petty and Linkin Park and both sound very, very good. Linkin Park especially seems to be a very aggressive surround mix with much use of the overheads. I am not too familiar with that band, seem very heavy at times with hip-hop vocals once in a while, and some good sound effects that get the full surround treatment. I will need to give it a closer listen.

I think I am on a trial offer that I received because I bought something at Best Buy - 4 months for $4 if I remember correctly. Be on the lookout for a deal like that.

All these (not that there are so many) Atmos titles you all find on Tidal. Will they "remain in Tidal's rotation forever"?

This Atmos single used to be available, but now it says "The record label does not permit streaming of this track" (I'm in the U.S.., not sure about other regions).
https://tidal.com/browse/track/134692361

This Atmos single used to be available, but now it says "The record label does not permit streaming of this track" (I'm in the U.S.., not sure about other regions).

I tested just now and I can stream without problems from Tidal in Spain the song Heart - These Dreams in Dolby Atmos

Bummer:..all I get is
9C426B45-F5A5-4B89-ACCC-A8AF1CCD3700.jpeg

I will continue to support Tidal. My one subscription I can use at my work desktop, home streamer for my wife, 4K Fire Cube at my main listening area.
If I am listening at work and my wife is home and turns on the streamer my end shuts down, my subscription won't allow more than one listening station at a time.
Tidal does not show any Atmos playback options when using the streamer or work desktop, only when I am using the Fire Cube.

Listening now to the ripped Plastic Ono Band Blu Ray 1 Atmos 14 tracks. I had to rip this twice, I got all messed up, had to re read Garry's and my notes, but all good now.
I love the song Remember, so bitchin and heavy.
Rips at 24/48 MKV Chapters. DR's are 9, 10, 11's, 12's, 13's, 14's. Playing HDMI out from PC to Pre/Pro.
I love the Atmos mix, really can settle in on this. Perfect Atmos mix for this material. I don't think I would want it blasting all over the place, nice feelings listening to this Atmos.
R-18416815-1619293909-9431.jpeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back