Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still going through the various offerings on Tidal Atmos tracks.

Another good mix is Alesso's 4 tracks.

Nice subby action on track 'Sumr Camp'

Didn't know that Jay-Z owns Tidal along with a few other interested parties, including his wife Beyoncé.
Just read his wiki write up....he is nobody's fool!!
Your right just listening to Alesso sounds great

Super Bad - James Brown

Funk_Power_1970_A_Brand_New_Thang.jpg

This in essence is a great mix, but for some reason the vocals are in the rear channels?! Just like Rufus - Tell Me Something Good... It's a bit annoying and self descriptive in my book, because this has the potential to be absolutely fantastic... There's some great moments where the sax moves around all the speakers. Maybe it's a bus error that can be corrected? Odd that they would only do 2 songs this way? 🤔

Mind you I would have known that JAY-Z owns Tidal if I had watched this earlier;

Great to see Mike and Eric having a cool chat about this Tidal streaming.

My wife just asked what am I watching, as she entered my little sanctuary and saw a pic of Selena Gomez ...ahem :cool:
By the way, great tracks and mix.
And straight into my top 5 Atmos albums.
Mixed by Dustin Richardson

Last edited:
Super Bad - James Brown

View attachment 52257

This in essence is a great mix, but for some reason the vocals are in the rear channels?! Just like Rufus - Tell Me Something Good... It's a bit annoying and self descriptive in my book, because this has the potential to be absolutely fantastic... There's some great moments where the sax moves around all the speakers. Maybe it's a bus error that can be corrected? Odd that they would only do 2 songs this way? 🤔
It sure is an enigma Will. I know I said I can live with it in an earlier post, as the mix is great overall. I don't remember a mix with vocals predominately coming from the rears.
Maybe the engineer felt it got folks attention....dunno 🤷‍♂️

It sure is an enigma Will. I know I said I can live with it in an earlier post, as the mix is great overall. I don't remember a mix with vocals predominately coming from the rears.
Maybe the engineer felt it got folks attention....dunno 🤷‍♂️

Like a total knobhead - I started crawling on all fours listening to the speakers as this track was playing. 😂 It's not a front vs rears swap - the fronts have most of the music... Just a bit peculiar to have JB at the back?! It still better then the stereo... That's for sure!

Super Bad - James Brown

View attachment 52257

May be the surround mix engineer had previously worked on pantomimes.......... :rolleyes:

Like a total knobhead - I started crawling on all fours listening to the speakers as this track was playing. 😂 It's not a front vs rears swap - the fronts have most of the music... Just a bit peculiar to have JB at the back?! It still better then the stereo... That's for sure!

It's because of situations like this that I humbly suggest all current AVR manufacturers revive the '70s front/rear balance slider! :ROFLMAO:

slider.jpg

You are not alone Will, :)
This old fart is sometimes standing on a step stool to make sure this Tidal Atmos really is coming out of the heights!!
As I ain't got my lugholes fully trained to this new streaming phenomena yet.
And by the way it sure is.
Talk about being in Dolby Atmos heaven!!

:51QQ:51QQ

I don't remember a mix with vocals predominately coming from the rears.

I can't think of any modern 5.1's, but some there were some '70s quads that had the vocals in the rears. Two examples would be The Blackbyrds' "Walking In Rhythm" and Deep Purple's "Space Truckin'" (the USA CD-4 quad mix).

I have been reading all the Atmos threads and very jealous of you guys.
I have Tidal and firestick and I can see everything is ready to play and all the playlists but, I don’t have an Atmos speaker set up, before end of this year I hope to.
Question: I will probably go 5.2.4 and I fear the ceiling speakers, not for putting them in and doing the work, but they do not move of course you know that.
Looking at the Dolby website it shows the 4 ceiling being slightly behind and slightly in front of the listening position.
Is this your guys experience also?

I have been reading all the Atmos threads and very jealous of you guys.
I have Tidal and firestick and I can see everything is ready to play and all the playlists but, I don’t have an Atmos speaker set up, before end of this year I hope to.
Question: I will probably go 5.2.4 and I fear the ceiling speakers, not for putting them in and doing the work, but they do not move of course you know that.
Looking at the Dolby website it shows the 4 ceiling being slightly behind and slightly in front of the listening position.
Is this your guys experience also?

Markie, since you have a Bowers and Wilkins speaker system, these little dandies which come with brackets and can be angled might be just the trick.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/mini-theater/m-1
SPECS:

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/sites/default/files/2018-08/ENG_FT00150_MT60D_Info-Sheet_1.pdf
Have them in my bedroom with a B&W sub and they sound really nice and project a soundstage way beyond the actual speaker itself. Come in white/black.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back