Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty much Mister Pupster.. tbh i need to give it a few more spins
I wont get around to hearing it till later this evening. Maybe Giles has taken a step backwards :unsure: -I guess the good old Columbia Q8 days (not sound quality but separation just to be clear thank you) are really gone forever :(

... except for those lovely DV titles :D

pretty much Mister Pupster.. tbh i need to give it a few more spins
Let it Be - choir, organ and horns all in the surrounds/atmos. Great clarity and separation of parts.
well well well well Well WELL!

Just had me a listen, and I think for me at least the experience was somewhere in the middle. :)

What struck me first was actually a nice detailed across the front sound stage of Ringo's drumming and the piano.

Next I did sort of hear those same elements in the rears as Baggy; organ, choir, orchestration.

I did feel that the center with Paul's vocals and the guitar solo was a little louder in the mix than I would prefer.

I'm also aware that a true Atmos speaker set up opposed to just a 5.1 could totally change the dynamics.

I did feel that the center with Paul's vocals and the guitar solo was a little louder in the mix than I would prefer.

I'm also aware that a true Atmos speaker set up opposed to just a 5.1 could totally change the dynamics.
There's not a whole lot else in the center, than nice n' dry vocal. Didn't check if the guitar solo is there. Maybe you can bump it down a smidge. At least when the whole album is released (might not be worth fussing for a single).
I'm listening on a 7.1.4 system, FWIW.

I found the innerdetail and smoothness of vocals amazing for 60s analog recording. I'll tip my hat to Phil Spector for that. He was a bit rough around the edges but a true musical genius that knew how to pull the best sound from recording gear of the day.

well well well well Well WELL!

Just had me a listen, and I think for me at least the experience was somewhere in the middle. :)

What struck me first was actually a nice detailed across the front sound stage of Ringo's drumming and the piano.

Next I did sort of hear those same elements in the rears as Baggy; organ, choir, orchestration.

i gave it another try, the mix feels too Front-heavy for my tastes but sound quality's possibly the best you're gonna hear it so that's welcome

i gave it another try, the mix feels too Front-heavy for my tastes but sound quality's possibly the best you're gonna hear it so that's welcome
That how I felt also (is the guitar solo in the center also, or is it just really strong phantom center - I’ll need to go back and check.)
Didn’t have any overall sound quality concerns from me; just balance, and that can be easily adjusted in 5.1 with the physical release.

I’ve also been considering whether I’ll continue to post my Apple “Atmos” listens on this thread, as since I’m only 5.1, maybe more appropriate in the regular old Listening to Surround thread…

That how I felt also (is the guitar solo in the center also, or is it just really strong phantom center - I’ll need to go back and check.)
Didn’t have any overall sound quality concerns from me; just balance, and that can be easily adjusted in 5.1 with the physical release.

I’ve also been considering whether I’ll continue to post my Apple “Atmos” listens on this thread, as since I’m only 5.1, maybe more appropriate in the regular old Listening to Surround thread…

i'd say maybe continue to post in the Atmos section since you are listening to Atmos mixes after all?

you could just say something like "listening to Atmos in 5.1"..?

tbh i imagine quite a few people on QQ will do be downmixing the Atmos streaming stuff to either 5.1 or 4.0 for a while

i'd say maybe continue to post in the Atmos section since you are listening to Atmos mixes after all?

you could just say something like "listening to Atmos in 5.1"..?

tbh i imagine quite a few people on QQ will do be downmixing the Atmos streaming stuff to either 5.1 or 4.0 for a while

Yeah, I for one appreciate everyone and anyone chiming in on Atmos releases and knowing what people think of 'em either way...

I'll tell you what, I was at a point that I thought I had pretty much gotten my listening room dialed in and wasn't sure what difference going one click further into Atmosland™ would really make. But wondering what I was missing kept nagging at me so I finally decided to do the three things I couldn't shake: sell my front bookshelf speakers and turn them into towers with actual dedicated woofers, get a second sub, and get some heights (now I'm at 5.2.2 and I believe this is where I'll stop).

It took a little bit to find some decent open-box deals (and still wasn't cheap). But it did allow for an eye-opening improvement I didn't think was possible... especially once I figured out all of the settings that would make the two subs sing and properly support (and not neuter) the towers. I say all this because, I made a comment upon my first listens to Atmos streaming that Tom Sawyer didn't sound so great. But once I queued it up following my upgrades I was shocked at how much it opened up and improved. I'm still finding my list of demo songs for Atmos but Petty's Wildflowers is absolutely sublime (I always liked it fine in the past but it's suddenly rocketing into my favorites of all time) as is the Kraftwerk 3-D collection.

image.jpg

First time listen. This sounds fantastic!

https://tidal.com/album/195185749Turnstile - Glow On
Wow!!! This is a really adventurous rock album. At their core, they're a hardcore band, but it goes all over the place. A little like Refused certainly but with way more vocal diversity. The atmos mix is pretty crazy and awesome. Some strange decisions but the music is all about strange decisions so it works. I can't believe this has been released with an atmos mix!
(Listened via tidal 5.1.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back