Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mastodon in surround!
https://tidal.com/album/197213020Album out Oct 29. Produced and mixed by David Bottrill. No immersive engineer listed.
(Edit: very tame, lame, and quiet mix. Makes me wonder if anyone mixed it... could be tidal messing up again...?)
Bottill famously doesn't get suuround for albums. Wonder if he's reconsidered or if someone else did an immersive mix or upmix.
There are a special edition of Leviathan with 3 tracks mixed in to surround. Also Crack the Skye, but it's an upmix.

@edisonbaggins yep I have that Leviathan and from what I recall it's very conservative. After listening again to the new one, there are very faint drum overheads in the rears and heights, and in two spots a harmony guitar and a vocal line.
Very cool song, but the mix is less so.
@sjcorne I'm not sure, sorry.

Malva Quartet
APPLE MUSIC

1631339833847.png

@edisonbaggins yep I have that Leviathan and from what I recall it's very conservative. After listening again to the new one, there are very faint drum overheads in the rears and heights, and in two spots a harmony guitar and a vocal line.
Very cool song, but the mix is less so.
@sjcorne I'm not sure, sorry.
The Crack the Skye 5.1 mix is def an upmix, but the accompanying movie is sooo worth watching. It comes as a bonus disc to the concert of that tour. Rather than listen to the more or less worthless upmix, I played around with my AVR's upmixers, using the lossless stereo source and found a more satisfying result. Again, Crack the Skye movie is the titties. Give it a whirl if you love Mastodon.
https://www.discogs.com/Mastodon-Live-At-The-Aragon/release/3767939

Last edited:
Any advice Sausage, on how to always know one's listening to an Atmos mix on Apple TV 4K?
(some of these mixes -i.e. old Jazz, is so subtle you barely notice the rears in 5.1.)

I think their random menu system and search (UI) is rubbish; and no it doesn't always tell you which songs are Atmos; and once playing the song (from what I see) doesn't even show it as such anywhere on the screen
I think if you click the menu button on the controller while you're playing, it'll go to a screen where in the bottom right corner you'll see atmos if the atmos mix is playing. Not the most familiar with this either though. Not big on the UI myself either. Sorry for the late response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back