Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for supporting the idea, should we just start a thread with all the suggestions? I have tried printing the Albums (folders) list but windows doesn't allow that, perhaps someone here has a printout that they can share.

Yes the only reason I keep Tidal is because they offer all atmos albums, it is a very annoying thing with apple music. We should explain that too.

thank you, i will look into it 🙂

meantime it seems it is not possible to stream Atmos from the Tidal or Apple Music Apps on iPhone to an Apple TV using Screen Mirroring/AirPlay.
1631720147247.jpeg

Dweezil would love to, but it is up to Ahmet! Dweeze has no say over Frank's catalog.
Sounds like he intends on mixing his upcoming concerts in Atmos from his web page (maybe a hookup with Vai for an entire show just on Joe's Garage 😄 ). Hopefully he'll be an aggressive mixer and not just room ambience in the rears and heights. His "Zappa Plays Zappa" mix is fairly mild IMO.

There's some funny business going on in Apple Music today...some new found spatial audio...but they aren't...

Argent - In Deep, Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation, Azteca - Azteca, and Outkast - Stankonia; all listed as spatial audio but when you play them it's Dolby "AUDIO" not Atmos and comes up on my AVR as PCM 5.1. Actually the music plays out of only one speaker, the left, therefore MONO...sooooooooooooooooo WTF is going on?

And Switchfoot - The Beautiful Letdown & Isley Brothers - 3+3 shows under spatial audio but is actually lossless stereo...weirdness!!

There's some funny business going on in Apple Music today...some new found spatial audio...but they aren't...

Argent - In Deep, Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation, Azteca - Azteca, and Outkast - Stankonia; all listed as spatial audio but when you play them it's Dolby "AUDIO" not Atmos and comes up on my AVR as PCM 5.1. Actually the music plays out of only one speaker, the left, therefore MONO...sooooooooooooooooo WTF is going on?

And Switchfoot - The Beautiful Letdown & Isley Brothers - 3+3 shows under spatial audio but is actually lossless stereo...weirdness!!
Mostly Quad titles... :unsure:

Searching/browsing on my ATV4K, I'm seeing The Isleys' 3 + 3 listed with the "Apple Digital Master" icon but not Atmos.

Azteca and Argent, meanwhile, do indeed display as "Dolby Audio," as you say, though for me they play back in quad. (My AVR detects them as "Multi-Channel In"--six channels with silent center & LFE.) Very exciting!

Will check out some of the others presently. Could this mean that Apple is getting access to Sony 360 content? If so, then that's a potentially huge catalog. Still a few bugs in the system, though, apparently...

Last edited:
Mostly Quad titles... :unsure:

Stankonia was released as a 5.1 DVDA, and for me, it's playing in Apple Music as 5.1--but like the Sony Quads that have also started to show up, it has the new "Dolby Audio" designation that Eric noted. Could this be how we get access to OOP quads and 5.1s from this point forward? Apple is going to do not just Atmos content but also legacy MCh content? OMG, I'm gonna have to get used to Tim Cook being my new overlord...

Searching/browsing on my ATV4K, I'm seeing The Isleys' 3 + 3 listed with the "Apple Digital Master" icon but not Atmos.

Azteca and Argent, meanwhile, do indeed display as "Dolby Audio," as you say, though for me they play back in quad. (My AVR detects them as "Multi-Channel In"--six channels with silent center & LFE.) Very exciting!

Will check out some of the others presently. Could this mean that Apple is getting access to Sony 360 content? If so, then that's a potentially huge catalog. Still a few bugs in the system, though, apparently...
I get the same result...Outkast, Azteca and Argent show as Multich PCM 5.1 but plays in one speaker... 🤢 for a mono experience...

Last edited:
Stankonia was released as a 5.1 DVDA, and for me, it's playing in Apple Music as 5.1--but like the Sony Quads that have also started to show up, it has the new "Dolby Audio" designation that Eric noted. Could this be how we get access to OOP quads and 5.1s from this point forward? Apple is going to do not just Atmos content but also legacy MCh content? OMG, I'm gonna have to get used to Tim Cook being my new overlord...
That's what I'm thinking. Quite a few OOP gems showing up as "Atmos/Spacial" titles. E.g. The Social Network. F&#k spending $100+ on a blu-ray now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back