Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://tidal.com/album/201064152
Mastodon's new album is excellent. A long double album with some excursions outside of their normal realm. A beautiful solo on The Beast from Brent Hinds. Much more nuanced and song-based drumming than their previous albums. The atmos mix is much better than the first single hinted at. Nothing too adventurous, but it sounds good and fits the music.
Mixed by David Bottrill, who also produced.

I'm thinking this could be epic, just sampled the song on my computer speakers (stereo only sample), and oh lordy, what bass, and it's sounding soooo wide I thought there was stuff coming from my rears occasionally :) Will def need to check it out on my ATV4K! :dance
Had a go with this song on the ATV4K tonight, and super good; the drumming was incredible, very much defined and punchy across the front sound stage. Also several instances of guitars and/or synths circling the room 😋

and I need to know what the lyrics are for this one; want to dig deeper into its message/story.

https://tidal.com/album/201064152
Mastodon's new album is excellent. A long double album with some excursions outside of their normal realm. A beautiful solo on The Beast from Brent Hinds. Much more nuanced and song-based drumming than their previous albums. The atmos mix is much better than the first single hinted at. Nothing too adventurous, but it sounds good and fits the music.
Mixed by David Bottrill, who also produced.
I tried some tracks from this, and to me it sounded as a weak mix, very front heavy. It's a pity, because I would like some more heavy music to listen to. It's the same with the Slash album, lost opportunities. I rather listen to the new PT track again and again. :cool:

Whoa--hold the phone! A Love Supreme just showed up in Atmos on Apple Music. Similar to the Miles Davis stuff: the mixers seem to be trying to reconstruct the acoustic atmosphere of the Van Gelder studio through reverb, etc. (I'd like to know who mixed this: can anyone with a Tidal sub confirm that it's appeared there, too, and check the credits?) But there's definitely signal coming out of all channels.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/a-love-supreme/1440713018

Last edited:
Whoa--hold the phone! A Love Supreme just showed up in Atmos on Apple Music. Similar to the Miles Davis stuff: the mixers seem to be trying to reconstruct the acoustic atmosphere of the Van Gelder studio through reverb, etc. (I'd like to know who mixed this: can anyone with a Tidal sub confirm that it's appeared there, too, and check the credits?) But there's definitely signal coming out of all channels.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/a-love-supreme/1440713018
I already listened to some of this. There’s definitely noticeable signal coming out of all channels - seemed like it’s a bit wetter than the Blue Note stuff.

I liked what I heard on first listen.

Last edited:

musically i absolutely adore this record and it's a valiant attempt to redo it in Atmos but i'm 3 tracks in and even though my system says things are happening in all channels, so far the end results pretty much Mono.. lovely Mono with oodles of Bass and so much character in the vocals its like they're in the room with me but it's all still Mono!

oh well, i'll just enjoy it for the fantastic music 🥰

2C5C2CD5-50D3-48AD-8273-DE309CA5EB45.jpeg

This is a mono recording. Seemed to me like an atmos “mix” would be pretty useless - at best.

And it is. Just listen to the mono version.
musically i absolutely adore this record and it's a valiant attempt to redo it in Atmos but i'm 3 tracks in and even though my system says things are happening in all channels, so far the end results pretty much Mono.. lovely Mono with oodles of Bass and so much character in the vocals its like they're in the room with me but it's all still Mono!

oh well, i'll just enjoy it for the fantastic music 🥰

View attachment 73164

Too bad--Universal must be hauling all of their best-selling jazz albums out of the vault and commanding their Atmos team to Atmos-ize them, whether that's called for or not. Hopefully they're at least working from the best available remasters.

Last edited:
Too bad--Universal must be hauling all of their best-selling jazz albums out of the vault and commanding their Atmos to Atmos-ize them, whether that's called for or not. Hopefully they're at least working from the best available remasters.
My guess would be they used the latest remaster - which may or may not be the best available master (more often than not it isn’t).

Too bad--Universal must be hauling all of their best-selling jazz albums out of the vault and commanding their Atmos team to Atmos-ize them, whether that's called for or not. Hopefully they're at least working from the best available remasters.

lets hope they continue! 💪
maybe with some stuff that better lends itself it to being Atmosized!

Steely Dan..

Elton..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back