Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Eric, I really appreciate all of your links.

For anyone trying to quickly add Eric's playlists, here's the method that has worked best for me.
1. Log in to Tidal on your PC
2. Click the link to one of Eric's playlists.
3. Underneath where it says, play on Tidal, click on the link that says "Open on Desktop App."
4. The text will change to "Open on our Web App." Click that.
5. The playlist should now be open in your account. If you click on the heart icon next to shuffle, the playlist will be added to your account and you can access it on Fire TV, AppleTV, etc.

Can we please stop with saying “mastering”?

Just because everyone at Atmos is afraid to call them what they are doesn’t mean we have to perpetuate the dishonesty. “Mastering” is used to describe using a different source tape or playing with the EQ. Except for a few fakes, these are MIXES from the original multitrack sources. Probably “remix” is more apt, but today that carries an unwanted connotation of changed or added content.
Heres Elton Rocket Man enjoy
https://listen.tidal.com/album/134283080

Rush - Tom Sawyer

Rush-Moving-Pictures-Album-Cover-web-optimised-820.jpg

There's some really cool keyboard movements around the room... Recently watched Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage on Netflix which I enjoyed and made me understand the band a lot more...

Great to have this in Atmos! Great to rock out to and the squeaky vocals sound even better! :D

Rush - Tom Sawyer

View attachment 52205

There's some really cool keyboard movements around the room... Recently watched Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage on Netflix which I enjoyed and made me understand the band a lot more...

Great to have this in Atmos! Great to rock out to and the squeaky vocals sound even better! :D
Is it better than the 5.1 mix? Is it a GREAT mix, or an OK mix? RUSH fans need to know, lol!

Is it better than the 5.1 mix? Is it a GREAT mix, or an OK mix? RUSH fans need to know, lol!
IMO yes it’s better but no it’s not better. @edisonbaggins will have a good take on this

Pros: more surround/immersive, drum kit across L/C/R rather then dead center on dvd-a

Cons: less punch on the low end bass
Lot of reverb maybe too much would have preferred more discrete in surrounds

Yeah - I'd say so... :) It's probably somewhere in between great and ok?! It's doesn't have the full room drum pans like Steven Wilson's mix on AFTK, but the keyboard movements towards the end of the track are really cool! You might get a wiser answer from a proper Rush head like @edisonbaggins?

Edit - Ha duplicated answer! :cool:

Rush - Tom Sawyer

View attachment 52205

My assessment, after several listens, is "uggggh"...

They made Peart's snare sound like a trash can lid. The toms sound different too. I think the remix engineer used a favorite reverb plugin, rather than trying to match the original sound. Unforgivable.

It's basically the same approach as the 5.1. Main band parts up front, synths favoring the rears.
The Atmos doesn't really have anything unique going on. Just makes everything BIGGER in the room. Not necessarily a good thing.
I prefer Chycki's 5.1 and those that know me well know that I'm not a Chycki fanboi.

My assessment, after several listens, is "uggggh"...

They made Peart's snare sound like a trash can lid. The toms sound different too. I think the remix engineer used a favorite reverb plugin, rather than trying to match the original sound. Unforgivable.

It's basically the same approach as the 5.1. Main band parts up front, synths favoring the rears.
The Atmos doesn't really have anything unique going on. Just makes everything BIGGER in the room. Not necessarily a good thing.
I prefer Chycki's 5.1 and those that know me well know that I'm not a Chycki fanboi.
Yikes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back