Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iggy Pop The Passenger

A fav but this mix could be better. Still like the Siouxsie and the Banshees cover.;)

My favorite Iggy story (maybe my only one:unsure:) is when I was reading The Reader, a local San Diego rag, and the story was Iggy giving the commencement speech at the Bishops School (why oh why?) in the late 80's, which is a highly Christian School in the highly affluent (Rich Conservative Republican) neighborhood of La Jolla. Anyway, Iggy commences to disperse a Tirade of Profanities which (I can't even find the words) astounded the Nuns to the point of??

That's true rock ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ––โœŒ๐ŸคŸ๐ŸคŸ๐ŸคŸ๐ŸคŸ๐ŸคŸ๐ŸคŸ๐Ÿ‘…๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ‘„

Last edited:
Been listening yesterday and today to the fantastic The Catalogue from Kraftwerk on Tidal in glorious Dolby Atmos.Happy 4 of July to you US guys,and hope you soon will be able to listen to this also.

You should play Alanis's Ironic right after your done lol

2 new 'new' releases on Tidal in Atmos this week... Not really what I was hoping for... :( It's a bit like waking up on Christmas day and finding nothing under the tree...

Alessia Cara - This Summer: Live Off The Floor

00602507217617-cover-zoom.jpg

Oliver Tree - Ugly Is Beautiful

unnamed.jpg

Something odd just happened.Was playing Kraftwerk on Tidal in Atmos,and suddenly between two tracks the volume raised to normal and the sound was only Dolby Surround.The Atmos was gone:(.Restarted my Firestick,but no help.Tried some other playlists,and it was the same.Put a BD with Atmos in the player and it played OK.
Anybody else encountered this?

Something odd just happened.Was playing Kraftwerk on Tidal in Atmos,and suddenly between two tracks the volume raised to normal and the sound was only Dolby Surround.The Atmos was gone:(.Restarted my Firestick,but no help.Tried some other playlists,and it was the same.Put a BD with Atmos in the player and it played OK.
That's very odd, just tried mine all ok.
Maybe lost the Atmos streaming for a while.

I had this happen a few weeks ago. I uninstalled the Tidal App, then reinstalled it and everything worked fine.

A 2L Dolby Atmos morning, first off:

Magnificat from Tidal

And now Lux.

Had this one on my wish list for a while and a good price came on up on Amazon.

Both albums are superb, although Lux edges it for me.
2L know how to get the best out of a Dolby Atmos mix.

But what is very good to see is that they provide 4 options for playback.

1- 5.1 DTS-HD MA 24/192kHz

2 - 2.0 LPCM 24/192kHz

3- 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos 48kHz

4- 7.1.4 Auro- 3D 96kHz

A 2L Dolby Atmos morning, first off:

Magnificat from Tidal

And now Lux.

Had this one on my wish list for a while and a good price came on up on Amazon.

Both albums are superb, although Lux edges it for me.
2L know how to get the best out of a Dolby Atmos mix.

But what is very good to see is that they provide 4 options for playback.

1- 5.1 DTS-HD MA 24/192kHz

2 - 2.0 LPCM 24/192kHz

4- 7.1.4 Auro- 3D 96kHz
Well, funnily enough, Magnificat Blu-ray only includes Auro, but not Atmos. The only way to listen to Magnificat in Atmos is using Tidal.
Lux was released in the Blu-ray with both Atmos and Auro options. Due to the limitations of my speakers placement I tend to favor Auro over Atmos, but that's very particular to my living room

4- 7.1.4 Auro- 3D 96kHz
Are they doing something differently with Atmos on these albums? Atmos is an object-based system, and not supposed to be tied to any specific number of speakers. Since the Atmos track here is listed as "7.1.4", are they somehow bypassing the object-based system, in favor of a specific speaker layout? I didn't think something like that was even in the Atmos specs.

Auro 3D might be different; I don't quite understand how it works. By the Wikipedia description, it seems like AuroMax is the only variant of the format that uses actual objects.

Are they doing something differently with Atmos on these albums? Atmos is an object-based system, and not supposed to be tied to any specific number of speakers. Since the Atmos track here is listed as "7.1.4", are they somehow bypassing the object-based system, in favor of a specific speaker layout? I didn't think something like that was even in the Atmos specs.

I think the atmos mix on the disc is capable of playing to it's specs (34 speakers) but most home AVR's that play these home intended releases are 9.2 max. My 9.2 AVR allows me to connect a second amp to get 11.2 which is basically the max for home atmos (7.2.4) so the disc is just listing the max you can get at home with a standard home atmos enabled AVR.

The atmos mix on the disc is basically "scaled down" to play on the limitations of your home AVR.

Last edited:
I think the atmos mix on the disc is capable of playing to it's specs (34 speakers) but most home AVR's that play these home intended releases are 9.2 max. My 9.2 AVR allows me to connect a second amp to get 11.2 which is basically the max for home atmos (7.2.4) so the disc is just listing the max you can get at home with a standard home atmos enabled AVR.
Indeed, they have descriptions of both Atmos and Auro 3D in the extensive notes and supplied arkwork. Which confirms what you have stated and what the two formats can offer and how they work.
I am fortunate in that my Marantz SR 8012 will play a maximum of 7.2.4 .

The atmos mix on the disc is basically "scaled down" to play on the limitations of your home AVR.
That's not my understanding of how Atmos works. It's not really 34 speakers. It's 34 sound objects defined in a 3D space, and mixed down by your receiver in order to position the objects as best it can, leveraging whatever 2D or 3D speaker layout you have. So, I'm pretty sure listing an Atmos track with a very specific speaker setup is doing the format a disservice.

It also makes it seem that something like a 9.1.6 setup wouldn't be able to take advantage of all the mix has to offer. In fact, the receiver would appropriately map those objects to the extra available speakers, and gain an additional sound placement advantage over a system with fewer speakers.

At least, that's how I understand the format.

That's not my understanding of how Atmos works. It's not really 34 speakers. It's 34 sound objects defined in a 3D space, and mixed down by your receiver in order to position the objects as best it can, leveraging whatever 2D or 3D speaker layout you have. So, I'm pretty sure listing an Atmos track with a very specific speaker setup is doing the format a disservice.

It also makes it seem that something like a 9.1.6 setup wouldn't be able to take advantage of all the mix has to offer. In fact, the receiver would appropriately map those objects to the extra available speakers, and gain an additional sound placement advantage over a system with fewer speakers.

I think you will find they are stating the maximum speaker set up which can be used to enjoy either the Atmos or Auro 3D.

the object vs speaker difference can be thought of as atmos having 34 sound objects and if each object had it's own dedicated speaker you would need 34 speakers

but there are no home AVR's that are capable of 34 speakers so on a disc intended for the home the manufacturer is only going to list 11.2 (7.2.4) as the max.

The disc isn't intended for cinemas that can have 34 speakers.

like I said, The atmos mix on the disc is basically "scaled down" to play on the limitations of your home AVR so that's how the manufacturer is going to list it for a home release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back