Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven Wilson - The Future Bites [Singles]. Can hear them in Tidal on this playlist...

folder.jpg

Listening to them in album track order, you get quite a good sense of how the middle part is going to be. I really like it! :phones

3 - KING GHOST
4 - 12 THINGS I FORGOT
5 - EMINENT SLEAZE
7 - PERSONAL SHOPPER

It's going to be interesting how track '6 - Man of the People' turns out?! It's quite a cool funky jump to 'Personal Shopper'! Originally I think they were swapped?

I was counting off some of the things listed by Elton and rather scarily I've got quite a few of them before! I'm defo up for some "volcanic ash soap" if I can find some?! 😅 The echo crescendo of that bit is awesome!

Last edited:
Taylor Swift - Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions on Disney + not only HDR but Atmos! It’s a combination of watching her making the album during the pandemic at her home studio, what goes into each song, and the music makes good use of the surrounds. Not fully discrete or immersive but well done.
View attachment 59700
Sounds really good

So after listening to the lossless Lennon GST - I jumped to Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette on Tidal.

F69DEF99-B1BA-45B2-92A2-7A7E89A933A9.jpeg

Hmmm. 🤔 I’m not sure if this a fair comparison because of lossy v lossless... But honestly this sounds like pisswater?! It gets better from ‘You Learn’ and I can’t really pinpoint what’s lacking in the mix - apart from it just feels lacking? I’ve heard a lot of other lossy Atmos tracks on Tidal that sound awesome? 🤯

Maybe I should have swapped the listening?

I’m heading over to Kraftwerk in a mo! 😎

You can't blame Tidal (alone).
I'm not aware of any streaming device (Apple 4k TV, Android TV, Firestick, etc) which currently supports lossless (TrueHD) Atmos streaming.
Can the hardware support it ? Maybe with a firmware update, I don't know.

Just an FYI - my Nvidia Shield supports TrueHD Atmos (via bitstream I believe). Bandwidth keeps increasing so it's likely Tidal and others will add lossless streaming it in the future.

Just an FYI - my Nvidia Shield supports TrueHD Atmos (via bitstream I believe). Bandwidth keeps increasing so it's likely Tidal and others will add lossless streaming it in the future.
When I said 'streaming', I meant streaming from the internet (i.e. Tidal, Netflix, etc.).
My understanding is that the Nvidia can play TrueHD files locally or a USB drive, but not streaming from the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back