Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received Yello - Point def worth waiting for , fantastic atmos mix

download.png

Received Yello - Point about a week ago and have been enthusiastically spinning it constantly. Anyone who has an Atmos setup should not hesitate to get this as the mix is one of the best surround/Atmos mixes available today. I have 8 Atmos releases on disc and this one shot right to the top, equal to or better than either of the recent Booka Shade discs. Unfortunately it is a bit pricey for what you get: a single Pure Audio blu-ray in a standard CD case with a booklet and 2 audio tracks, Atmos and Hi-Res stereo. However, the Atmos mix is simply stellar with fantastic fidelity, aggressive directional activity in all speakers and deep, deep bass. Even though Yello's music is not my favorite, it is undeniably fun and always interesting - definitely Atmos demo worthy and something I'll be returning to often. Who would've guessed that 2 old Swiss guys in their 70's would still be churning out stuff like this.

Booka Shade - Galvany Street. This, "Dear Future Self" and Yello's "Point" are paradigm shifts in surround music.

Those discs certainly are from a discrete standpoint and their use of ATMOS to send sounds up, down, and around the room.

ATMOS releases like R.EM.'s Automatic For The People offer a more immersive effect and the ability to use ATMOS to expand that immersive bubble of surround.

Steven Wilson's The Future Bites gives you balance between the two.

They are all equally enjoyable to me.

Very generous of you to share, and I look forward to listening! (My high-school girlfriend was the daughter of a Latvian immigrant, so I have a soft spot for your country's culture....)

Bandcamp allows vendors to sell multichannel music, but they don't make it easy--which is to say, your customers won't be able to download directly from Bandcamp in the same way that they would with stereo FLACs or mp3s. How it typically works is that Bandcamp collects the money from the sale, then you email the customer and provide them with a download link to your own cloud storage.

Another option might be ImmersiveAudioAlbum.com.

@Kaspars Barbals: I just wanted to let you know that I've only found time to listen to the first six tracks so far--at a good loud volume, anyway--and I really like the music. I had no idea that bagpipes--dūdas--played such a big role in Latvian music. They sound so much like the uilleann pipes, and the record reminded me almost immediately of the Irish band Moving Hearts. I hope that's not an inappropriate comparison. Great blend of folk, rock, jazz, and world influences.

The mix is quite good, I think. On some tracks (#1 and #5, for instance), the rear channels are quite subtle, but on others they're much more active. I especially love the drums and percussion on Track #2, for example. I don't hear much from the overheads, at least not on my 5.1.2 system, but that's fine; I'm sure they're adding space and "lift" to the overall mix.

Anyway: wonderful stuff, and thank you again for sharing. Tidal subscribers should definitely check this out, especially if you're already a fan of Baltic music--or even Celtic music or just "world" music in general. And Kaspars, I hope you find a way to distribute paid downloads.

[Edit: finished listening to the entire album. Great musicianship, compelling music, snappy arrangements, and professional mixes. Lots of QQ members would enjoy this.]

Last edited:
Yeah there's a couple more been added to the Soul playlist. Additional tracks as well are -
https://tidal.com/browse/track/172570181https://tidal.com/browse/track/170970839https://tidal.com/browse/track/172570713https://tidal.com/browse/track/172569174
Interesting coming across some that have had multichannel mixes before. I still prefer the Scheiner 5.1 and the quad to be honest (might also be down to compression) but these Atmos mixes are very good. :phones

Are the mixers for these classic soul tracks identified? (Tidal has been hit-and-miss about providing that info in the past.) @Steve G, can you shed any light?

Last edited:
Heiner Rennebaum Doppelquartett Live. I'm currently listening on Tidal--sort of--courtesy of a friend. It's complicated. But I hope this will eventually get a physical and/or digital download release. I emailed the label, but haven't gotten a response. [Edit: this morning I got kind replies from both the Umland label and from Heiner Rennebaum himself. There are no plans for a physical release, but it's hoped that Atmos mp4 files will be available for sale on the album's Bandcamp page soon!]

https://tidal.com/browse/album/155124342
Great stuff, great mix. Jazz quartet mainly across the fronts, string quartet sometimes in the rears, sometimes spread all around. Active use of overheads: sometimes for reverb & ambience, sometimes for snare & cymbals. The mixer, Kraftwerk's Fritz Hilpert, did the Atmos mixes for both Booka Shade's Galvany Street and Dear Future Self and Kraftwerk's own 3-D: The Catalogue.

If Pat Metheny is your only reference for jazz guitar, then expect a sound more akin to Orchestrion than to PMG. Otherwise: think Austrian guitarist Wolfgang Muthspiel or Danish guitarist Jakob Bro. Lots of nordic atmospherics, some Balkan/Mediterranean grooves, a little bit of power-fusion, and occasional avant excursions. (But don't be scared: plenty of melodies, too.) An immersive listen in more than one sense of the word.

1613852208383.png

Last edited:
Listening now to Kraftwerk 3-D Catalogue from Tidal. I ordered the actual box set from a guy in Germany 20 days ago, DHL, will get here eventually but this Tidal Atmos Kraftwerk is special, and I know the actual box set will be even better. I turned off my foundation speakers and just listened to the 4 heights, wow, very active and picks up all the LFE also. The screen saver of my TV comes on in about 5 mins so I don't have to stare at a red square.
Studying now how to get my JRiver to play an ATMOS file, it can be done, JRiver forum is helping.
R-10350221-1497290111-2871.jpeg.jpg

You can start using the easiest one-click (literally) way and back up the whole disc using MakeMKV (and it's recommended to backup the whole disc anyway in case the disc gets damaged later).

And JRiver will play the Blu Ray backup folder/structure just like a regular Blu Ray player, including the menus / navigation.
You just need to import the "index.bdmv" file under the BDMV folder to add the disc to JRiver's library.

JRiver_BDMV_Index.jpg

As already mentioned in several threads: you need to turn on "Bitstreaming: HDMI" in the Playback options (as shown in the screenshot) in order to send the (original/not decoded) Atmos bitstream to HDMI/Receiver.
JRiver_AbbeyRoad.jpg

There are a couple of discs where JRiver does not load the disc menu properly, for example the Kraftwerk 3D (the short "12345678" version). But you can right-click in JRiver to select the audio stream (I selected "truehd" here, which is the Atmos stream), Jump To another "chapter" (track) directly , etc.
JRiver_Kraftwerk_3D.jpg

Edit:
The BluRay menu in the Kraftwerk disc works fine using PowerDVD.
So JRiver (I'm using version 27) seems to have a problem with the menu on a couple of BluRay discs (out of 50+) that I have backed up.
But I'm still able to play them using the "Title playback" instead of "Menu playback" in JRiver, as shown in the above screenshot.

Last edited:
The sound of a piano could carry very well in Atmos. My god, just a few chords sustained for a minute...or two...hanging in the air...

You can start using the easiest one-click (literally) way and back up the whole disc using MakeMKV (and it's recommended to backup the whole disc anyway in case the disc gets damaged later).
Thanks, I'll work in that a bit. I run Linux here but see how much of this I can transport. Main issue will be JRiver but we'll see.
Thanks again

Listening now to Kraftwerk 3-D Catalogue from Tidal. I ordered the actual box set from a guy in Germany 20 days ago, DHL, will get here eventually but this Tidal Atmos Kraftwerk is special, and I know the actual box set will be even better. I turned off my foundation speakers and just listened to the 4 heights, wow, very active and picks up all the LFE also. The screen saver of my TV comes on in about 5 mins so I don't have to stare at a red square.
Studying now how to get my JRiver to play an ATMOS file, it can be done, JRiver forum is helping.
View attachment 63514
Yeah that's one thing about the stream you miss (as well as the compression) - the visuals on this are excellent and really add to the experience. There's some very clever and witty creativity gone into the animation. At some points it also feels like your room is a disco.🕺 I'm sure it'd be even more awesome in 3D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back