Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to...

R.E.M. - Automatic For The People

1614550027820.jpeg 1614550062213.jpeg

Heiner Rennebaum Doppelquartett Live. I'm currently listening on Tidal--sort of--courtesy of a friend. It's complicated. But I hope this will eventually get a physical and/or digital download release. I emailed the label, but haven't gotten a response. [Edit: this morning I got kind replies from both the Umland label and from Heiner Rennebaum himself. There are no plans for a physical release, but it's hoped that Atmos mp4 files will be available for sale on the album's Bandcamp page soon!]

https://tidal.com/browse/album/155124342
Great stuff, great mix. Jazz quartet mainly across the fronts, string quartet sometimes in the rears, sometimes spread all around. Active use of overheads: sometimes for reverb & ambience, sometimes for snare & cymbals. The mixer, Kraftwerk's Fritz Hilpert, did the Atmos mixes for both Booka Shade's Galvany Street and Dear Future Self and Kraftwerk's own 3-D: The Catalogue.

If Pat Metheny is your only reference for jazz guitar, then expect a sound more akin to Orchestrion than to PMG. Otherwise: think Austrian guitarist Wolfgang Muthspiel or Danish guitarist Jakob Bro. Lots of nordic atmospherics, some Balkan/Mediterranean grooves, a little bit of power-fusion, and occasional avant excursions. (But don't be scared: plenty of melodies, too.) An immersive listen in more than one sense of the word.

View attachment 63497

P.S.: It's now possible to purchase Atmos-encoded mp4 tracks of this album by emailing Rennebaum via the album's Bandcamp page. Mp4s are playable as video files with Oppo players and/or with the Windows Movies & TV app and, with proper settings, with Kodi and VLC (and possibly foobar?)

Again: this mix was done by Kraftwerk's Fritz Hilpert, who did the Atmos mixes for both Booka Shade's Galvany Street and Dear Future Self and Kraftwerk's own 3-D: The Catalogue.

I'm planning to copy this info into a new post.

Oh, Fucking Yes, very happy. I finally figured out how to play an Atmos video rip via my JRiver player into my AVR which ackwoldges the Atmos signal, all speakers working properly including LFE for subs, just like the disc.
I created a new JRiver Atmos Video zone.
I am so scared right now I'm going to Fuck it up, I don't even want to put my rig against wall for fear I might move a wire.
Something that is a little weird is that when I connect HDMI out of PC into HDMI in of AVR I got a low fluttering sound from the sub nearest to the PC, does not get louder with volume increase but still annoying. Unacceptable for any other audio set up. All I can think of now is pull the HDMI cord out of PC which I can reach easily, and just put back in when listening to Atmos/video?
Or maybe some Shakti Stones and a $5000.00 HDMI cord is needed?
It still is a little bit of a mind trip. I have the PC HDMI into the HDMI Aux of AVR and I have all other music RCA cables (6), 5.1 into the 7.1 section of the AVR.
JRiver will only play Atmos with a video content, or should I say a Video with Atmos content via HDMI out.
So, as far as I can tell now, I have to switch to AUX HDMI when listening to Atmos and when listening to all my other music sources I switch to the RCA in from the Exasound DAC. THis is confirmed and works, just a little thinking is involved.

I can't say how much I appreciate @MrSmithers for helping me and pushing me to figure this out, if not for him this would have never happened.

Going to turn off now and go ride my bike to relieve this stored up energy.
Still need to learn how to rip a Atmos disc with it's video content and tighten things up and see if the PC/HDMI/Flutter in sub can be figured out.
Woo hoo.

Oh, Fucking Yes, very happy. I finally figured out how to play an Atmos video rip via my JRiver player into my AVR which ackwoldges the Atmos signal, all speakers working properly including LFE for subs, just like the disc.
I am so scared right now I'm going to Fuck it up, I don't even want to put my rig against wall for fear I might move a wire.
Something that is a little weird is that when I connect HDMI out of PC into HDMI in of AVR I got a low fluttering sound from the sub nearest to the PC, does not get louder with volume increase but still annoying. Unacceptable for any other audio set up. All I can think of now is pull the HDMI cord out of PC which I can reach easily, and just put back in when listening to Atmos/video?
It still is a little bit of a mind trip. I have the PC HDMI into the HDMI Aux of AVR and I have all other music RCA cables (6), 5.1 into the 7.1 section of the AVR.
JRiver will only play Atmos with a video content, or should I say a Video with Atmos content via HDMI out.
So, as far as I can tell now, I have to switch to AUX HDMI when listening to Atmos and when listening to all my other music sources I switch to the RCA in from the Exasound DAC. THis is confirmed and works, just a little thinking is involved.

I can't say how much I appreciate @MrSmithers for helping me and pushing me to figure this out, if not for him this would have never happened.

Still need to learn how to rip a Atmos disc with it's video content and tighten things up and see if the PC/HDMI/Flutter in sub can be figured out.
Woo hoo.

Unfortunately, Markie, a Shakti Stone is NOT the solution but a $5K HDMI Cable ........ WHY DON'T I HAVE ONE?????? :ROFLMAO:

Have no immediate solution to the sub woofer FLUTTER issue. Could it be a ground issue? Hmmmm!

Always SOMETHING, Sport!

edit: came across this tidbit ..... Maybe your computer's DAC is the problem:

Inside your computer is a digital-to-analog converter (DAC). This translates your music files into analog signals for your headphones. An external DAC bypasses your computer’s inferior DAC. You get sound that's more accurate and detailed.

Last edited:

Woo hoo.

From what I have read, the three new 16 channel, Atmos processors, have problems with HDMI from PCs...I guess you should feel lucky it is working at all.

Are you using MKV's in jRiver for Atmos?

From what I have read, the three new 16 channel, Atmos processors, have problems with HDMI from PCs...I guess you should feel lucky it is working at all.

Are you using MKV's in jRiver for Atmos?
Yes, the video MKV file, for some reason in JRiver it has to be video content with the atmos, unlike Kodi which does not need the video content.
My AVR is about 6 years old so I don’t have the problem of the new ones, are they getting it fixed or still selling with problem?

Yes, the video MKV file, for some reason in JRiver it has to be video content with the atmos, unlike Kodi which does not need the video content.
My AVR is about 6 years old so I don’t have the problem of the new ones, are they getting it fixed or still selling with problem?

I also use MKV's for my Atmos rips. I use Kodi. Kodi can play Atmos audio only rips but I haven't found a way to have them play gapless, so I use MKV for now, and edit all the chapters to the song titles.

I just stumbled across the new Atmos 16 channel processors because @ted_b posted he was looking for one with balanced connector's. I started reading the reviews and the HDMI problem stuck out because that would be a total deal breaker for me. That was a week or two ago and I haven't followed up.

Personally, I think Atmos is first generation stuff, and I am not going to invest that much in this format. The process from going from 2D to 3D shouldn't rely on a local process, it should be done in the studio with higher quality processors. We already went through this with quad and SQ, QS and other non-discrete formats. To me it seems like a sales gimmick to get you to buy an infinite number of speakers. Eventually, quadraphonic went from decoding two channels into four, to 7.1 discrete channels. Until that happens with 3D, where all my channels have been processed in the studio properly, rather than relying on different chips at home, I will not break the bank. Hopefully the next generation 3D audio will be 16 discrete channels or something resembling it.

Yeah I agree - sounds really good. :) Nice 3D effect - nothing super discrete but the whole thing sounds full and immersive... I think this could be the first time Rod Stewart has debuted in surround? There was a scheduled 5.1 DVD-A album that never got released I think?

Rod's 1st Great American Songbook album was done in 5.1 and released as a standalone DVD-A. (think it was mixed by Thom Cadley?)

"A Night On The Town" was the album mixed in 5.1 for WEA DVD-A that never made it out.

"Atlantic Crossing" appeared in Quad catalogues at one point back in the 70's but similarly never saw release.

I also use MKV's for my Atmos rips. I use Kodi. Kodi can play Atmos audio only rips but I haven't found a way to have them play gapless, so I use MKV for now, and edit all the chapters to the song titles.

I just stumbled across the new Atmos 16 channel processors because @ted_b posted he was looking for one with balanced connector's. I started reading the reviews and the HDMI problem stuck out because that would be a total deal breaker for me. That was a week or two ago and I haven't followed up.

Personally, I think Atmos is first generation stuff, and I am not going to invest that much in this format. The process from going from 2D to 3D shouldn't rely on a local process, it should be done in the studio with higher quality processors. We already went through this with quad and SQ, QS and other non-discrete formats. To me it seems like a sales gimmick to get you to buy an infinite number of speakers. Eventually, quadraphonic went from decoding two channels into four, to 7.1 discrete channels. Until that happens with 3D, where all my channels have been processed in the studio properly, rather than relying on different chips at home, I will not break the bank. Hopefully the next generation 3D audio will be 16 discrete channels or something resembling it.
Oh yes, I can certainly agree with your sentiments on where Atmos is today vs where it could go.
Hands down the difference in the 90's when I went from stereo to 5.1 was mind blowing. My experience of going from 5.1 to Atmos has been so far, well, kind of all right. Movies can have a tiny bit of Atmos, and the best Atmos movies are war and sci fi.
Music Atmos can be from what was the point of that to super good. I have around 20 music Atmos discs and the techno music, Yello Point, Galvany Street, etc are the best, the other rock remixes, so/so, except Steven W. new release is super good.
Well, I have always liked being on the cutting edge of music listening, and I am enjoying all the Atmos listening I am doing even if sometimes it is just an immersive bubble, God knows I have listened to plenty of immersive surround listening, that's why when we hear those discrete gems it makes us all so happy.

Going to try and rip the ATMOS/Video tracks from my discs today. I know they have to be MKV with video content, in the case of music they will be video chapters, rather than like a continuous movie. I will start with MakeMKV for the rip and the tagging I assume will be done well by Music Media Helper further tagging will have to be done in the JRiver player, this has been my experience so far with the two sample files I have.

JRiver requires more complication than KODI from what I gather, but easier to play and fix about 20 new rips, than setting up an entire new library with KODI. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) that's what I always have to tell myself.

I think I have the basics figured out, wish me luck.

Going to try and rip the ATMOS/Video tracks from my discs today. I know they have to be MKV with video content, in the case of music they will be video chapters, rather than like a continuous movie. I will start with MakeMKV for the rip and the tagging I assume will be done well by Music Media Helper further tagging will have to be done in the JRiver player, this has been my experience so far with the two sample files I have.

JRiver requires more complication than KODI from what I gather, but easier to play and fix about 20 new rips, than setting up an entire new library with KODI. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) that's what I always have to tell myself.

I think I have the basics figured out, wish me luck.
I keep it very simple(I'm stupid)I play the disc. :cool:

Good news, my first try (for Atmos) using MakeMKV and Music Media Helper was successful. I certainly need to improve my technique as it took about 1.5 hours to rip Abbey Road Atmos. I'll have to talk to Garry for tips.
But, bottom-line, works, plays, AVR recognizes Atmos, on screen still shows. Good to go.
After I learn how to tighten up, I'll go into more detail for JRiver users.
Negative with JRiver: Even though I am set to gapless, with these video chapters, there is a space between tracks. As everyone knows tracks 10-16 are meant to be gapless on Abbey Road. Well, I jumped the biggest hurdle, ripped and playing, now just to get the tagging down.

Good news, my first try (for Atmos) using MakeMKV and Music Media Helper was successful. I certainly need to improve my technique as it took about 1.5 hours to rip Abbey Road Atmos. I'll have to talk to Garry for tips.
But, bottom-line, works, plays, AVR recognizes Atmos, on screen still shows. Good to go.
Negative with JRiver: Even though I am set to gapless, with these video chapters, there is a space between tracks. As everyone knows tracks 10-16 are meant to be gapless on Abbey Road. Well, I jumped the biggest hurdle, ripped and playing, now just to get the tagging down.

BTW, Markie, did you ever get rid of that 'flutter' in your sub?

BTW, Markie, did you ever get rid of that 'flutter' in your sub?
No, very frustrating. When I am not using the HDMI out to AVR (only needed for Atmos HDMI bitstreaming), I just pull the HDMI cord out from PC and goes away. To be honest, with this problem and the slight hum I have had from the speakers, I am ready to try a different PrePro. My dealer said if I buy new and return there is a 15% restocking fee, whereas I purchase an open box and return there is no re stocking fee. He is looking for open box.
All my stereo and surround listening does not need the HDMI as it instead goes from PC USB out to external DAC, then RCA out from the DAC to PrePro.
How did little music listening get so complicated? I do love learning all this tech savvy stuff though. I could call my self an audiophile but some might think negatively of that word, so a hobbyist is safer. I personally like the word audiophile as it explains the specific genre of a hobbyist.

No, very frustrating. When I am not using the HDMI out to AVR (only needed for Atmos HDMI bitstreaming), I just pull the HDMI cord out from PC and goes away. To be honest, with this problem and the slight hum I have had from the speakers, I am ready to try a different PrePro. My dealer said if I buy new and return there is a 15% restocking fee, whereas I purchase an open box and return there is no re stocking fee. He is looking for open box.
All my stereo and surround listening does not need the HDMI as it instead goes from PC USB out to external DAC, then RCA out from the DAC to PrePro.
How did little music listening get so complicated? I do love learning all this tech savvy stuff though. I could call my self an audiophile but some might think negatively of that word, so a hobbyist is safer. I personally like the word audiophile as it explains the specific genre of a hobbyist.

If you have an outdoard DAC try plugging the computer first into that DAC and then plugging it into your pre/pro. It has been said that internal computer DACs are mediocre, at best.

And did you ever try grounding your entire electrical system? I did it some years ago and it not only solved my audio issues [like hum, etc] but my system sounded even better. And most importantly, ensure that ALL your audio/video components are plugged into DEDICATED AC outlets so there's no interference with air conditioning/heating elements which can cause hum and/or other AC induced noises.

Last edited:

Ripping as one long MKV, and you still get gaps?

Thanks for asking that. That makes me feel what I accidentally stumbled on to might work. On my last rip Goats Head Soup by accident I ripped the 10 individual chapters and noticed I also ripped the entire album as one, 46:48. Now with this Stones rip gapless is not necessary like it is with Abbey Road, so I am going to re-rip Abbey Road as one unit and then see if the gapless happens automatically as it will be one video for lack of a better word.

That was the answer. I re-ripped Abbey Road as one unit and gapless play back was perfect. The good news is the video with the rip, in this case, showed each song title so looking at the video portion as I was listening I knew exactly what song I was at.
Good day today as I learned a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back