Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
King Crimson 1969 Box Set. Great Atmos mix. I love tracks 2,3,4 and don't even really like to listen to tracks 1 & 5. Has nothing to do with Atmos, just don't like the music.
R-15899495-1604599042-2186.jpeg.jpg

King Crimson 1969 Box Set. Great Atmos mix. I love tracks 2,3,4 and don't even really like to listen to tracks 1 & 5. Has nothing to do with Atmos, just don't like the music.
View attachment 66662

Good call! I actually forgot I have this. I simply haven't had much time to open it and listen. Maybe tonight? lmao

Just setting up an Atmos receiver and signed up for a Tidal membership when I saw The Replacements Pleased To Meet Me in Atmos. Sounds better than ever, but not exactly a surround treat. Now I’m listening to The Ramones in Atmos. Who is picking these remixing projects?!?
Anyways, this is always how it starts. First it’s a cheap Atmos receiver from CostCo, then it’s a Tidal membership. Soon I’ll be cutting holes in the ceiling to replace the extra surround speakers that are currently sitting atop my main speakers propped up on yoga blocks at exactly 20ish degrees.

While I’d certainly listen to anything Bad Religion put out in surround, it’s not really the best music for remixing into multichannel. Maybe their latest, Age Of Unreason, would be their best candidate. ”No Control” just seems like a reasonable worldview in light of the last few years, and it’s the name of one of my favorite albums, so I made it my profile pic. After I finished the ‘mats and Ramones, I checked out Tom Petty Wildflowers. That was a worthwhile Atmos project, wow! It’s not one of my favorite albums, isn’t on my phone, so I won’t be listening while driving or on the treadmill, but it’s a truly impressive sound experience!

Listening to Billie Eilish - Your Power. Her album will be out in late July and I imagine will be pushed a bit for the atmos mix. Really nice production and mix, as is always the case with her and Finneas. All sorts of stuff happening in the rear speakers, and the song and instrumentation is much more traditional than what they normally do. Mix by Rob Kinelski.

Another stunning release in terms of Atmos mix, although I have some trouble to define the music: experimental/Avant Garde, whatever this means? Group is Art of Time Ensamble, also in Tidal

A new addition in Tidal from a Latvian drums and bagpipes band called Auli (album is called Visapkart). You have to like folklore music, but this is a very accessible record and the Atmos mix is fantastic. Some insights about the album and mix here:
https://lauska.lv/en/blog/auli-jaunaja-albuma-visapkart-izmanto-dolby-atmos-skanas-formatu/And for those without Tidal, it can be purchased here:
Auļi - Visapkārt (Atmos encoded - WAV + MP4 Download)

Agreed: this is a really nice album, with an engaging mix. (If you listen to a lot of Celtic music, it will speak to you; several tracks reminded me of the neo-Celtic band Moving Hearts.) And @Kaspars Barbals is a QQ member!

Last edited:
A new addition in Tidal from a Latvian drums and bagpipes band called Auli (album is called Visapkart). You have to like folklore music, but this is a very accessible record and the Atmos mix is fantastic. Some insights about the album and mix here:
https://lauska.lv/en/blog/auli-jaunaja-albuma-visapkart-izmanto-dolby-atmos-skanas-formatu/And for those without Tidal, it can be purchased here:
Auļi - Visapkārt (Atmos encoded - WAV + MP4 Download)

I like this alot. Very enjoyable.

Gorjia Fortitude. I think it’s a new addition on Tidal (though I’m new to Atmos and Tidal, so maybe I’ve just not noticed it before...). Nothing mind blowing, but it’s not hip hop, country, pop, electronica, dance or whatever, it’s at least rock and roll (Hail Satan! and Thank God! (to be fair and balanced)).

Gojira Fortitude.Nice with some good hard rock. :cool: Not the best mix,but nice none the less.Not much in the height speakers,but some vocals and guitar and other stuff,mainly in the rear height speakers.
I really like this.

Gojira were considered extreme metal at one point but this is tamer and more commercial, in a good way. Great drumming on this.

Yello - Point

Get to the Point already!

View attachment 66941

I put this on last night too. Fantastic mix and very happy music. My wife even commented on it, she probably wants to play it in the car during her commute (in stereo, even!). I also had another listen to The Future Bites, tunes are really growing on me and listening to the mix reminds me of when I first heard the Tubular Bells (the 2002?) re-recording on dvda - music and sounds swirling all around - but the next step forward in immersive sound. So impressive! When I was setting up the Atmos receiver I was already having second thoughts and wondering if I’d be returning it to CostCo. Not a chance after hearing this disc! Lastly, I got out my Abby Road disc, which is cool because I could flip between 5.1 and Atmos. Not such a mind blowing experience, but for an album about as old as I, it’s amazing. The 5.1 is excellent, but the Atmos mix has a smoother and deeper sound field - what I assume people with really good speakers, placed perfectly and in a proper room have been getting out of 5.1 all along (though I have no way of knowing if this is true). What I would like - and it really is all about me, isn’t it? - is for SW to do new Atmos mixes for Stupid Dream through Fear of a Blank Planet. My old crazy uncle Donnie and grandpa Joe keep putting money in my bank account, I would like to stimulate the Atmos music mixing economy with it!

Thanks for this, How often is your TIDAL ATMOS list updated? It is such a PITA to find all the atmos tracks.

Isn't it missing the Suzanne Cianni?
It's actually a custom search; lately, they seem to add 3 - 4 titles a week.

You're right there are some albums missing, but I really got no clue what to do about it. Play a memory game, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back