Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if someone sent Dolby the definitive list of Late Boomers multichannel music titles compiled from suggestions here, if they had pull with Dolby they may be able to convince Apple Music to also cater to late boomers who also own some serious Atmos Setups. I am doing that!
Erm? Sorry I did not understand any of that.

i have a list of 400 best of QQ titles that I am sending to Dolby for them to convert to Atmos. I know a couple of the directors so hopefully these songs will populate apple music, not with hiphop, or pop but with music for baby boomers, who many have great atmos rigs at home.

I would hope thart music in Atmos would get populated with little regard for generational factors and more regard for quality of music, quality of mix and popularity of artist overall.
I hope that too but I would have to think it is way easier to do an Atmos mix of a current album while it is being made and the files readily available than it is to hunt down the multitrack tapes of something recorded 40-50 years ago and do all that has to be done to get a quality mix out of that. The degree of difficulty alone will heavily skew new Atmos mixes in favor of new music / artists.

I would hope thart music in Atmos would get populated with little regard for generational factors and more regard for quality of music, quality of mix and popularity of artist overall.
Regretably, the music made nowadays is not as good as that of the late 20th century, and when it comes to shoving music out the door Apple Music is currently discriminating for whatever technical reason against Late Boomers. I'm fixing to do something about it by sending them a list of content with excellent masters available. And TIDAL is really pushing it with what they make you listen to, it borders on prejudicial. Speaking purely about Atmos Music.

Regretably, the music made nowadays is not as good as that of the late 20th century, and when it comes to shoving music out the door Apple Music is currently discriminating for whatever technical reason against Late Boomers. I'm fixing to do something about it by sending them a list of content with excellent masters available. And TIDAL is really pushing it with what they make you listen to, it borders on prejudicial. Speaking purely about Atmos Music.
May I ask how do you get access to these masters?

Please define "late boomers". I want to know if I am one. I feel I'm probably an early boomer and have no idea if any of my artists have masters available.

You are bonkers. Apple and the labels don't care what you think.

I just own the shinny disc, but since the Dolby Director is a friend and we listened to some of the best tracks right here comparing upmixers etc. as part of his work in the new DSU,
dolby director.jpg

I even gave him my sacd of DSOTM. He trusts my skills in setting up immersive systems, so I email him the list with the case for inclusion in the group for atmos remastering, and he will talk to Cheri, the gal in charge of Atmos Music. That is the plan... The studios know where the masters are located.

BTW that system is going up for sale it is comprised of 2 Dynaudio Focus 380, 2 F340 and 2 F260 and the lexicon 300 watt 7 channel amp, I paid like 35 but selling for a song if anyone wants to pick up in Miami it is sweet sounding, I have a more esoteric atmos speakers coming that have a profile on the CP-850 cinema processor Cinema Designer software otherwise these would be keepers. Will treat QQ members extra very favorably.

Last edited:
Please define "late boomers". I want to know if I am one. I feel I'm probably an early boomer and have no idea if any of my artists have masters available.

I used to get the bonkers a lot.
SISTENE.jpg

I guess this Atmos sistene chapel is bonkers too, after the pandemic I am all of a sudden not out there to many. I sorto of consider myself a protector of all things high end Atmos and I have contributed to humanity lready through my relationship with Dolby in the home through the new DSU and in the Atmos Premier Dubbing Stage arena with the Alcons Audio line of speakers. So why not try? It is a great list. And I think apple will go along.

alcons-audio-stmpd-recording-dolby-atmos-premier-studio-right.jpg

I am responsible for the best sounding Atmos Mix Rooms. Yes, sorry!

That system deployed by Dolby in its latest certified Premier dub stage was brought by me to CEDIA 2015. See what Gary Reber Editor of Widescreenreview had to say:

Attached is the list that will get to Cheri. I will add some more before sending over.

Attachments

• LATE BOOMERS Best of 5.1 submittal for ATMOS remix.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

In my case it is experiential someone that is old enough to have embraced quadraphony during the 70's I was young teen then but the term is defined by the quadraphony aspect and not by the reptilian 2 channel audiophile criteria.

Last edited:
Atmos certainly takes things to a new dimension when done well. However, for me, I find that the very best 5.1 mixes out there are better than the vast majority of Atmos mixes. I listened to PF Wish You Were Here 5.1 the other day for the first time in a while and I was pleasantly surprised how well it holds up for me. I think there’s a “kid in a candy store” element to the current Atmos offerings on Apple Music, and I’m loving it for sure, but have to admit to being somewhat disappointed with many of the mixes, especially on some of the older classic rock and jazz tunes. So it’s kind of hit and miss. But the future looks bright. And so does the past. Don’t give up on the 5.1 gems in your collection. They will provide you with years of enjoyment.
And if one has a chance to Upmix these great 5.1 tracks using the New DSU that is out on the current Denon and Marantz you will find that they have terrific envelopment, If someone asked me is this Atmos? I could lie and say Yes, and the fib would pass, that is how good these tracks are and the power of the new DSU. so I don't disagree with your statement, I just want better representation of our beloved libraries in the Apple Music and Tidal Atmos platform.

i have a list of 400 best of QQ titles that I am sending to Dolby for them to convert to Atmos. I know a couple of the directors so hopefully these songs will populate apple music, not with hiphop, or pop but with music for baby boomers, who many have great atmos rigs at home.
ok that sounds great.

I would love Atmos version of DSOTM, Tubular Bells, War Of The Worlds, Shaft etc/

Good list. Anyone here might quibble about a missing favorite, but if you can influence toward more Atmos mixes this way, then excellent!

One comment: Having complete albums in Atmos, not just selected tracks, is preferred. Tracks alternating randomly between stereo and Atmos tends to interrupt the listening flow.

I guess this Atmos sistene chapel is bonkers too, after the pandemic I am all of a sudden not out there to many. I sorto of consider myself a protector of all things high end Atmos and I have contributed to humanity lready through my relationship with Dolby in the home through the new DSU and in the Atmos Premier Dubbing Stage arena with the Alcons Audio line of speakers. So why not try? It is a great list. And I think apple will go along.

That system deployed by Dolby in its latest certified Premier dub stage was brought by me to CEDIA 2015. See what Gary Reber Editor of Widescreenreview had to say:

Attached is the list that will get to Cheri. I will add some more before sending over.

And if one has a chance to Upmix these great 5.1 tracks using the New DSU that is out on the current Denon and Marantz you will find that they have terrific envelopment, If someone asked me is this Atmos? I could lie and say Yes, and the fib would pass, that is how good these tracks are and the power of the new DSU. so I don't disagree with your statement, I just want better representation of our beloved libraries in the Apple Music and Tidal Atmos platform.
Is there any chance you can convince Dolby/Apple/Tidal to stream at a higher bitrate than 768kbps? Right now, I feel this is limiting my enjoyment of Atmos music. Even if some of my favorite artists and mixes became available in Atmos on Apple music or Tidal, I would still listen to the 5.1 mix (ripped from DVDA or Blu-ray) because it is uncompressed. Atmos at 768kbps is effectively the same compression as Dolby Digital... A codec people love to hate around here.

SISTENE.jpg

alcons-audio-stmpd-recording-dolby-atmos-premier-studio-right.jpg

Hey, go go go Peter! But for gosh sake’s have a chat with Dweezil Zappa to get Joe’s Garage I, II & III mixed to Atmos. Someone here mentioned he is now mixing in Atmos.
https://www.dweezilzappa.com/posts/1985290-2021-update

Hey, go go go Peter! But for gosh sake’s have a chat with Dweezil Zappa to get Joe’s Garage I, II & III mixed to Atmos. Someone here mentioned he is now mixing in Atmos.
https://www.dweezilzappa.com/posts/1985290-2021-update
The first time I heard Joe's Garage was in a recording studio in London, played through the main desk. Its brilliant, so much going on, so it must be mixed into surround! But I'm not sure the Zappa foundation i.e. the rest of his family will let him :(

Attached is the list that will get to Cheri.
That's a good list but it seems comprised mostly of individual songs. Personally I'd like to see the effort put towards complete albums. Once someone does a song or two off any album will there be much desire to go back and complete it? Being a child of the 50-70s LP era, I've never been a "song" guy playing mixes, I play albums.
YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back