Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing to me that they're throwing this kind of stuff out there with no fanfare, like it's no big deal 🤨
Personally, I don't need gazillion speakers to make me happy just 4.X+

I'd like to know what this new "Dolby Audio" designation means, though--it's not explained anywhere on the Apple Music site--especially since Sony 360 was based on MPEG-H, not DD+ (or whatever). Is Sony/BMG just throwing in the towel and going with Dolby instead?

As Eric pointed out, these titles are showing up in the "Now in Spatial Audio" list. So maybe Apple intends for "Spatial Audio" to be a blanket term for any flavor of immersive/surround/multi-channel mix. But it looks like all the flavors are going to get a Dolby brand?

Dang. Gotta be something going on with your rig, no? Hopefully you can figure it out.
It's an eerily similar issue like with the Immersion DSOTM quad mix on Blu Ray. The Sony X800 wouldn't send the 4.0 to my Onkyo, but my Oppo 93 does send it flawlessly. I guess for now, I'll have to bounce between the Apple TV4k and MacBook Pro.

I'd like to know what this new "Dolby Audio" designation means, though--it's not explained anywhere on the Apple Music site--especially since Sony 360 was based on MPEG-H, not DD+ (or whatever). Is Sony/BMG just throwing in the towel and going with Dolby instead?

As Eric pointed out, these titles are showing up in the "Now in Spatial Audio" list. So maybe Apple intends for "Spatial Audio" to be a blanket term for any flavor of immersive/surround/multi-channel mix. But it looks like all the flavors are going to get a Dolby brand?

Yeah, Spatial Audio is their "blanket term" for any surround experience they provide be it simulated through headphones or an actual 5.1/Atmos output from an AppleTV. Very interesting to see it now including traditional 5.1 and quad mixes (I was wondering if we would have to wait for Atmos everything). Interesting developments today!

When it shows up, click the badge (if on iPhone/Pad, etc), it brings up a lil info box (same for Atmos, Lossless, Hi Res Lossless and Apple Digital Master badges).

The info box says "Dolby Audio is a surround sound format that includes Dolby 5.1 and 7.1". Clicking the learn more tab brings you to Apple's support page for Atmos, so it's likely not set up. The only album that consistently has the tag is the Three Days Grace self titled, and when you hit play it does show the Dolby Audio tag... but honestly you couldn't pay me to listen to Three Days Grace so I have no idea how it sounds. It's also been spotted on The White Stripes Elephant, the soundtrack to the video game Skyrim, and a few others, but those tags appear and dissapear.

My bet: Apple is big on what they're dubbing "Spatial Audio", their binaural mixdown of surround. They're incorporating it into FaceTime calls (...which how would that realistically work?), and soft launched it last year for movie/tv streaming services with AirPod Pros and Max's respectively (they're also folding it into games, a few Apple Arcade games take advantage of it). iOS 15, due out in 5 days will add head tracking for music to those headphones (and as someone on the beta... it's... not great), as well as a "Spatialize Stereo" option for those headphones which will take a stereo signal (or streaming service streaming a surround signal but not in a way that latches onto the "Spatial Audio" tech), and attempt to bust it out into a binaural surround. So the Dolby Atmos launch a few months ago is "wave 1", and "wave 2" will be coming with iOS 15 with the facetime, etc enhancements, and "wave 3" will likely fall around when the long rumored "AirPods 3" (shaped like the Pros but without noise cancellation) launch, adding "Dolby Audio", and potentially more codecs. (Sony's 360 RA, DTS, etc)

Also, Hi! I've been lurking here for a while. I don't have a surround sound set up (yet, I'm in research stages of getting my first apartment and am researching decent, yet inexpensive Atmos soundbars), but I've been fascinated with audio "beyond stereo" since I stumbled upon a iOS app 13 years ago called NatureSpace that had nice binaural nature recordings. Since then I've delved deep into various ways to get surround sound in binaural, and am pleased that Apple seems to be bringing it to the masses. You all tend to find the new stuff that hits on AM faster than r/spatialsongs, plus keep me in tune with upcoming releases (interested in that upcoming Oneohtrix Point Never Atmos mix. I don't think that album is close to his best but would be fun in Atmos)

When it shows up, click the badge (if on iPhone/Pad, etc), it brings up a lil info box (same for Atmos, Lossless, Hi Res Lossless and Apple Digital Master badges).

The info box says "Dolby Audio is a surround sound format that includes Dolby 5.1 and 7.1". Clicking the learn more tab brings you to Apple's support page for Atmos, so it's likely not set up. The only album that consistently has the tag is the Three Days Grace self titled, and when you hit play it does show the Dolby Audio tag... but honestly you couldn't pay me to listen to Three Days Grace so I have no idea how it sounds. It's also been spotted on The White Stripes Elephant, the soundtrack to the video game Skyrim, and a few others, but those tags appear and dissapear.

My bet: Apple is big on what they're dubbing "Spatial Audio", their binaural mixdown of surround. They're incorporating it into FaceTime calls (...which how would that realistically work?), and soft launched it last year for movie/tv streaming services with AirPod Pros and Max's respectively (they're also folding it into games, a few Apple Arcade games take advantage of it). iOS 15, due out in 5 days will add head tracking for music to those headphones (and as someone on the beta... it's... not great), as well as a "Spatialize Stereo" option for those headphones which will take a stereo signal (or streaming service streaming a surround signal but not in a way that latches onto the "Spatial Audio" tech), and attempt to bust it out into a binaural surround. So the Dolby Atmos launch a few months ago is "wave 1", and "wave 2" will be coming with iOS 15 with the facetime, etc enhancements, and "wave 3" will likely fall around when the long rumored "AirPods 3" (shaped like the Pros but without noise cancellation) launch, adding "Dolby Audio", and potentially more codecs. (Sony's 360 RA, DTS, etc)

Also, Hi! I've been lurking here for a while. I don't have a surround sound set up (yet, I'm in research stages of getting my first apartment and am researching decent, yet inexpensive Atmos soundbars), but I've been fascinated with audio "beyond stereo" since I stumbled upon a iOS app 13 years ago called NatureSpace that had nice binaural nature recordings. Since then I've delved deep into various ways to get surround sound in binaural, and am pleased that Apple seems to be bringing it to the masses. You all tend to find the new stuff that hits on AM faster than r/spatialsongs, plus keep me in tune with upcoming releases (interested in that upcoming Oneohtrix Point Never Atmos mix. I don't think that album is close to his best but would be fun in Atmos)

Thanks for that. (I don't have an iPhone or iPad, so the "Dolby Audio" gloss was news to me.)

And welcome! If you've been lurking for a while, you already know that folks here will be only too glad to give you advice and opinions about spending your money. We'll also probably do our best to find you a good inexpensive 5.1 starter system instead of a soundbar...:whistle:

You caught my attention with “Skyrim”

It's amazing to me that they're throwing this kind of stuff out there with no fanfare, like it's no big deal 🤨
Personally, I don't need gazillion speakers to make me happy just 4.X+
I just need 8, 4 on the floor and 4 on top. And you are right as someone holding the record for most speakers deployed in a Home Theater (41), you can say that again.

DTS-X+PRO+and+ATMOS.png

Sounds like he intends on mixing his upcoming concerts in Atmos from his web page (maybe a hookup with Vai for an entire show just on Joe's Garage 😄 ). Hopefully he'll be an aggressive mixer and not just room ambience in the rears and heights. His "Zappa Plays Zappa" mix is fairly mild IMO.
The DD 5.1 on ZPZ was double stereo and very compressed. I would like any concert without Napoleon on it. Can't watch that guy anymore.

There's some funny business going on in Apple Music today...some new found spatial audio...but they aren't...

Argent - In Deep, Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation, Azteca - Azteca, and Outkast - Stankonia; all listed as spatial audio but when you play them it's Dolby "AUDIO" not Atmos and comes up on my AVR as PCM 5.1. Actually the music plays out of only one speaker, the left, therefore MONO...sooooooooooooooooo WTF is going on?

And Switchfoot - The Beautiful Letdown & Isley Brothers - 3+3 shows under spatial audio but is actually lossless stereo...weirdness!!
Nice find.I tried In Deep with Argent and it played as 4.0 on my old Atmos only Denon AVR. Display shows MC in. This Apple deal is getting better and better. :cool:

BOC Agents of Fortune is also available. It sounds like the 5.1 mix from the SACD. Tyranny and Mutation is the quad mix (4 channels, no center).
My goodness, this is a pleasant surprise! So we may now start hearing more OOP quad titles and 5.1 from major artists showing up on Apple Music.... the mind boggles.

Tyranny and Mutation is full-on quad, sounds fantastic when cranked! Agents of Fortune is more of a mixed bag, a lot of added reverb it seems. But still great to have. As an aside, the track ETI still only plays in stereo while the rest of the album is 5.1.

There's some funny business going on in Apple Music today...some new found spatial audio...but they aren't...

Argent - In Deep, Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation, Azteca - Azteca, and Outkast - Stankonia; all listed as spatial audio but when you play them it's Dolby "AUDIO" not Atmos and comes up on my AVR as PCM 5.1. Actually the music plays out of only one speaker, the left, therefore MONO...sooooooooooooooooo WTF is going on?

And Switchfoot - The Beautiful Letdown & Isley Brothers - 3+3 shows under spatial audio but is actually lossless stereo...weirdness!!
I have the same problem

Cruising Apple Music, thanks for the heads up on these., Some notes.
1. Everything is coming across Lossless at 24/48.
2. Listings that have names all in Spatial Audio, Dolby Atmos plays Atmos. Dolby Audio plays either 5.1 or 4.0.
Lossless plays stereo.
So far so good.
Isley Brothers 3+3, even though two tracks are listed as (SQ-Quad Mix) they play as stereo.

@fredblue Adam, how did you find the Dolby Audio 4.0 of Weather Report? I found it using the search, and plays well in 4.0, and I added it to my library, but I would have never known about it had you not posted. I don't see it in Spatial Audio.

There is a new release, very good in stereo by Los Lobos, covering the song The World Is A Ghetto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back