Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me a lot of the stuff put out there on Apple Music Spatial is totally throw away, couldn't give it to me; just doesn't blow my skirt up (sorta just blows smoke up my bum maybe!) I'll check out most things put up, give a few songs on an album 10-20 seconds, and if it doesn't do anything for me I'll never go back to it. Maybe only 5-10% overall will go into my Library. Most of the 1990's music and beyond falls into that blowing smoke... category...

Jon Batiste—“We Are” on Tidal. Nice album. Good discrete mix. I’d buy this on disc if released.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 32
Jon Batiste—“We Are” on Tidal. Nice album. Good discrete mix. I’d buy this on disc if released.

I'm impressed by the fact that both versions of this album--the original and the "deluxe" edition, with a handful of added remixes--are available in Atmos. Agreed, it's a good one, and I'd pay for an optical disc, too. (Hey, Verve: let us put more money in your--and Jon Batiste's--pockets!)

P.S.: Here's a nice profile/interview with Batiste:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...mposer-jon-batiste-i-see-jazz-as-a-superpower

Last edited:
Amy's release is not too bad...at least in Surround!!

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/back-to-black/1422677780?ls
Another artist taken far too young...🙁
I'm curious about how they mixed this; I listened (stereo only) to Rehab last night and there is a lot going on in this song IINM, like horns, back-up vocals, tubular bells and orchestra etc., so there should be plenty to work with on some of it.

I'm always astounded by how vanilla/pedestrian they treat the mixes on this Atmos stuff with everything they have to work with!

I need to watch this film again, that had some production aspects for that album, but I just don't remember details.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2870648/

Rehab
Alto Saxophone – Andy Mackintosh, Chris Davies*
Arranged By [Band] – Gabriel Roth, Mark Ronson
Arranged By [Orchestra], Conductor – Chris Elliott
Baritone Saxophone – Dave Bishop, Ian Hendrickson-Smith
Bass Guitar – Nick Movshon
Cello – Anthony Pleeth, Joely Koos, John Heley
Contractor [Orchestra] – Isobel Griffiths
Drums – Homer Steinweiss
Engineer [Assistant] – Jesse Gladstone, Mike Makowski
Guitar – Binky Griptite, Thomas Brenneck
Handclaps – Mark Ronson, Vaughan Merrick
Harp – Helen Tunstall
Leader [Orchestra] – Perry Montague-Mason
Percussion – Frank Ricotti
Piano, Electric Piano [Wurlitzer], Handclaps – Victor Axelrod
Recorded By – Mark Ronson, Vaughan Merrick
Tenor Saxophone – Jamie Talbot, Mike Smith (3), Neal Sugarman
Tenor Trombone – Richard Edwards (2)
Trumpet – Dave Guy, Steve Sidwell
Viola – Bruce White, Jon Thorne (3), Katie Wilkinson, Rachel Bolt
Violin – Boguslaw Kostecki, Chris Tombling, Liz Edwards*, Everton Nelson, Jonathan Rees, Mark Berrow, Perry Montague-Mason, Peter Hanson, Tom Piggot-Smith*, Warren Zielinski

I'm curious about how they mixed this; I listened (stereo only) to Rehab last night and there is a lot going on in this song IINM, like horns, back-up vocals, tubular bells and orchestra etc., so there should be plenty to work with on some of it.

I'm always astounded by how vanilla/pedestrian they treat the mixes on this Atmos stuff with everything they have to work with!

I need to watch this film again, that had some production aspects for that album, but I just don't remember details.

Rehab
Drums – Homer Steinweiss
Harp – Helen Tunstall
Violin – Boguslaw Kostecki, Chris Tombling, Liz Edwards*, Everton Nelson, Jonathan Rees, Mark Berrow, Perry Montague-Mason, Peter Hanson, Tom Piggot-Smith*, Warren Zielinski
I'm curious how they mix all these Atmos releases Pups and who actually is the Atmos mixing engineer.

My view on the mix for Amy's album is that the decision was made to provide more focus on her voice rather than use the other elements in her music.

I like it.

Rehab
Drums – Homer Steinweiss
Harp – Helen Tunstall
I'm curious how they mix all these Atmos releases Pups and who actually is the Atmos mixing engineer.

My view on the mix for Amy's album is that the decision was made to provide more focus on her voice rather than use the other elements in her music.

I like it.
Tidal credits the Back To Black Immersive Mix Engineer as Chris Bolster - who I think is based at Abbey Road studios and has mixed some of the Sam Smith Atmos mixes?
Tidal - Amy Winehouse - Back To Black

Not been able to check the mix out yet but looking forward to it. Glad that they are going back and remixing 'legacy' stuff though. I hope they do all the classic albums from 70s all the way through to the noughties... :)

Woah, I just gotta say, if you haven't checked out "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers in Atmos (just the title track)... it sounds friggin' fantastic!
Yeah I love this - was one of my early 'go to' Atmos streaming songs. Really nice mix which I think was done by Greg Penny? The Country Atmos stuff all seems to be of quite a good quality. I guess you need to have an active mix to hear it from differing angles whilst doing all that line dancing... 🤠

I like it.

This is where Tidal is very useful. The credits on each song are so detailed, I can't get all of them with a screenshot on a 34" monitor. This is an example from Jon Baptiste.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 2.03.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 2.03.35 PM.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 41

I like it.
Listening to Back to Black now! It does sound much cleaner and less smashed here to me, and re-experiencing the album like this reminds me how much I like it; however...

"What Kind Of Fuckery is this!"
This could easily be a DPLII mix to me. Nothing is really focused except her vocals /drumming front and center. Some light backing vocals, strings, and maybe blended in horns/keyboards to the rears. Yo, aye yo I knew you was trouble, and hey stay away from my Stella ya'll!!!

Dog-Hiding-His-Face.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back