Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll meet you halfway, @perzon57! I'm happy with the sound quality of many of the Atmos and Dolby Audio offerings on Apple Music, especially those things that I don't want to shell out the big bucks for anyway! (Like All Things Must Pass, for instance.) But even after correcting for expectation bias (and "I spent good money on this, so by god it will sound better!" bias), some things just sound better on disc.

Some knowledgeable-sounding person--maybe it was @pat bateman?--posted about this on one thread or another, sometime in the last few months, and I think the gist of the post was: depending upon what-all is going on in the music at any given moment, sometimes 768 kbps is sufficient for transmitting all the relevant audio information. Sometimes not.

But at the end of the day, I agree: it all depends upon how much that matters to you. Amazingly, there are other things to spend money on besides multi-channel music...

Captain J.T. Kirk was right! Space is the final frontier! 🤣 🖖

any quality concerns of the streaming have to take lower priority right now, i just don't have the room for so much physical music 'stuff' these days 😔 i've been slowly sorting things since the covid move but its already filling up in here. apart from the 1/2 dozen Monster DTS titles that somehow found their way into the piles these are just some of my SACDs and only some of the Surround ones at that! 🤯
(the gap 6 shelves down is for the next batch of DV SACDs, there's room for 12 there! 🤞)

5E439F65-A141-4705-BF29-BDDBB80772E7.jpeg

there's loads of music 'stuff' still in boxes i've yet to bring, i can't face dealing with it right now, LPs, CDs, tapes, DVDs, box sets.. its like that Steven Wilson song with the list of 'stuff' you don't need! 😂

so even if its quite lossy and there is a palpable difference, the Surround streaming thing is quite attractive to me at this moment in time, for sure its relieving the piles! ✌

any quality concerns of the streaming have to take lower priority right now, i just don't have the room for so much physical music 'stuff' these days 😔 i've been slowly sorting things since the covid move but its already filling up in here. apart from the 1/2 dozen Monster DTS titles that somehow found their way into the piles these are just some of my SACDs and only some of the Surround ones at that! 🤯
(the gap 6 shelves down is for the next batch of DV SACDs, there's room for 12 there! 🤞)

View attachment 73857

there's loads of music 'stuff' still in boxes i've yet to bring, i can't face dealing with it right now, LPs, CDs, tapes, DVDs, box sets.. its like that Steven Wilson song with the list of 'stuff' you don't need! 😂

so even if its quite lossy and there is a palpable difference, the Surround streaming thing is quite attractive to me at this moment in time, for sure its relieving the piles! ✌
Gone a bit overboard on the Christmas decorations 😜

View attachment 73857

Very dapper old bean... Hopefully that 'D-V ready' space will get sorted out soon enough... 👌

Feeling a bit of a bummer that I can see no new Atmos releases on Apple Music. What a 1st world problem I have.
Yeah not seeing much this morning either. Although I still haven't caught up on quite a few from a few weeks ago!

The new Gary Barlow - The Dream Of Christmas... is out now this week. ☃ Hopefully the full avalanche of Friday Atmos releases will be 'Back For Good' soon enough... :)

Apple Music - Gary Barlow - The Dream Of Christmas...
Tidal - Gary Barlow - The Dream Of Christmas...

Kiss Destroyer is not playing in ATMOS or even 5.1 for me. It says it is on my phone but not on my Apple 4k box. What gives???
Everything else plays fine.

EDIT: It looks as if they separated it out as the 2021 Remaster and it is not part of the 45th anniversary selection
I’m pretty sure for me the 45th Anniversary version has the original album in Atmos and the other tracks are stereo. It’s because stereo tracks are so much louder than surround on Apple Music and they come blasting out if you’re not thinking about it.

Yeah not seeing much this morning either. Although I still haven't caught up on quite a few from a few weeks ago!

The new Gary Barlow - The Dream Of Christmas... is out now this week. ☃ Hopefully the full avalanche of Friday Atmos releases will be 'Back For Good' soon enough... :)

Apple Music - Gary Barlow - The Dream Of Christmas...
Tidal - Gary Barlow - The Dream Of Christmas...

i noticed today there was no longer an Atmos category on the front page of Tidal... 😬😔

View attachment 73857

Look

Very similar forniture in my Kitchen:

Cocina.jpg

Now it's time to get a little more overwhelmed and think about ripping the entire collection to a NAS. And return the music 'stuff' to boxes in the storage room. :ROFLMAO:

Only Lossless, no Atmos, for me.
😥
If you go to the original album then go all the way to the bottom and look for other versions you will see the 2021 remaster which is in ATMOS with 2 bonus tracks also in ATMOS. However, for me, when you play back the album several tracks have the intro cut off and even if you let it play and then select back to the beginning of the track it is still cut off. God Of Thunder and Great Expectations are examples.

If you go to the original album then go all the way to the bottom and look for other versions you will see the 2021 remaster which is in ATMOS with 2 bonus tracks also in ATMOS. However, for me, when you play back the album several tracks have the intro cut off and even if you let it play and then select back to the beginning of the track it is still cut off. God Of Thunder and Great Expectations are examples.
I'll look for that. So far, I've only seen the original and the 45th Anniversary Deluxe, with like 60 songs.

Thank you for the big news.
Absolutely earth shakingly stunning wonderful news. This was my favorite album as a child, and first album that I heard come alive on weed.

It was a big album with a few hits and it really irked me that MFSL did not include it on their very old sacd reissue. AF was frightened of spending licensing on it because MFSL had it out 10 years earlier. DV did not want to bother with it due to previous reissues. And so a platinum album that was available just sat there.

And now it arrives in lovely discreet quad streaming.

And Shock Treatment here as well.

Ok now it’s time to find a used Apple TV I guess.

I'll look for that. So far, I've only seen the original and the 45th Anniversary Deluxe, with like 60 songs.
The 45th deluxe and 2021 Remaster both have the original album in Atmos for me. And as Bob Romano indicated above, the 2021 remaster has 2 bonus tracks in Atmos.

Last edited:
How to access the Atmos though? Other "spatial" albums show up as Atmos for me, but not Destroyer 45th...
The deluxe doesn’t list it as Atmos because not all of the tracks are atmos. But the original album tracks are atmos when you play them.

Or just play the 2021 remaster version. Same thing but with 2 addt’l atmos tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back