Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listed here too Ralphie, along with a few others!!

Find more products in our catalog - Pure Audio Recordings

I'm a fan of Hans Zimmer's film scores but unfortunately the reviews on AmazonUS [in German, no less] stated that the ATMOS on the BD~V was disappointing and that the included 2 RBCDs sounded superior! Go figure!

https://pureaudiorecordings.com/en/...ic-celebration-extended-version-2cd-bluray-2/

hans-zimmer-the-world-of-hans-zimmer-a-symphonic-celebration-extended-version-2cd-bluray-600x600.jpg

As am I Ralphie....I too looked at that release, as I had not seen it before...big shame with the reviews. :(

Mike, even though I'm NOT equipped for ATMOS, I tend to play ALL my Atmos encoded discs in that format ....... UHD4K discs, as well. My OPPO 205 does a nice job with those surround ATMOS channels. And as I'm sure you've read, even those BD~A discs encoded in ATMOS and DTS~HD MA 5.1 also sound better when the ATMOS codec is engaged.

And WHY don't I have ATMOS? If I EVER get my all Meridian System set up [still sitting in crates], the cost of those individual self~amped speakers is embarrasingly expensive and no speaker I know [for overhead use] of could equal them. I could do ATMOS in my bedroom ...... but why bother? My older ONKYO receiver which is still working fine doesn't support the format so perhaps when I upgrade, I will take the plunge!

Still think DVD/A's, SACD/DSD's, DTS/CD's, & BluRay Audio, all are better sounding to me
Wish there were Blu-Ray/Atmos, discs to peruse, in Classic Rock; NOT KISS!

Probably system dependent, CPR as ALL of the above including BD~A sound GREAT on my system.....but for ATMOS and Auro 3D lovers, BD~A is the ONLY way to fly ..... plus it's ultimate capacity which VERY FEW providers take full advantage of .... is UNPARALLELED!

I'm pleased you wrote that, as I thought it was me!! In fact, I played it straight through twice to see if I had set it up properly, as it was NOT the mix I was expecting.

I fully agree with your review.

I was going to compare it with the Apple Atmos version as I remember that having far more going on.
I'll do that tomorrow.

Overall I like the album and his videos are fun with good music.
This is very strange.
I have played one song so far...Nothing's Special , the Apple version is clearly how the Atmos version, I believe, should sound.
The physical version is nowhere near as good.

No idea what is going on here... :rolleyes:

Did it get remixed for Apple?

And yes, I've checked and rechecked all of my system settings.

So I selected Stereo, guess what, it plays in Dolby Surround and sounds like the Apple version.

Could be an authoring issue?

I got this as well. I'm pretty disappointed. While at times, the mix gets super aggressive and fun, it is almost like different people mixed different songs with some tracks being very conservatively mixed given the source material. This needed discrete Guero-style spreading of the various sampled effects across speakers, which is NOT what I found here.
Have you tried playing this using the 'Stereo' option?

Think I will send my copy back to Amazon and get a replacement. And see if that has the same issues.

Have you tried playing this using the 'Stereo' option?

Think I will send my copy back to Amazon and get a replacement. And see if that has the same issues.

how bizarre.. the Atmos on Apple is very Surround-y, its just glitchy!
is the Stereo on the BD accidentally Dolby 5.1? (i.e. discrete Surround) or are the tracks labelled Stereo PCM 2.0 and your Receiver's then upmixing them to Dolby Surround?

how bizarre.. the Atmos on Apple is very Surround-y, its just glitchy!
is the Stereo on the BD accidentally Dolby 5.1? (i.e. discrete) or are the tracks labelled Stereo PCM 2.0 that your Receiver's then upmixing to Dolby Surround?
Good question Adam
When I select the Stereo play option the receiver automatically defaults to Dolby Surround.I'm playing it now.
All very odd.
The physical Dolby Atmos is very subdued compared to the version via Apple streaming.

The notes credit Luke Argilla with the Dolby Atmos mixing. Who is a senior music mix engineer at Dolby Laboratories.

Probably need to check with the record label, to see if this a common issue.

Last edited:
This is very strange.
I have played one song so far...Nothing's Special , the Apple version is clearly how the Atmos version, I believe, should sound.

So I selected Stereo, guess what, it plays in Dolby Surround and sounds like the Apple version.

Say WHAT?? Okay, I'll find some time maybe this weekend to check this out.

So this is the the main thread where Romano will likely be posting the new arrival quadraphonic reissue Apple streams correct? I am trying to keep it straight.

Can't wait for this week's releases.

Looking for a few more Johnny Winter, and the addition of Waylon and Dolly, and maybe even Aerosmith. But will settle for Nilsson, and maybe that Phebe Snow album, and others mia.

This is very strange.

I was wondering if this was just me. I'm having the same situation, I think some of the tracks seem to have the correct mix but am not exactly sure. Some tracks are entirely locked to the fronts on the blu ray, or even just the center channel. Maybe I'll contact bleep to see if there was a big authoring issue.

Really a shame the release seems to be a bit rough for this album, if I'm being honest this is the most excited I've been for any surround release in the last 5 years, OPN and others on the same label are all really my favorite artists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back