Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played it through the Surround Master. Unbelievable!
I have always believed that a lot of "modern" mixes are actually DPLII encoded in a way...
In this case, maybe it isn't but my educated guess is that , if it decodes really well with the SM , there is a LOT of out of phase info in the stereo mix which in a way is the guys in ABBA doing "their version" of a "surround mix"...so much for them stating "we do not believe in Surround"... oh well...

Have you listened to the Atmos mix? It is on my to-do list but haven't listened yet.

ATMOS mix not bad, but certainly not the best out there. I think the punters reaction on here regarding the ATMOS was also tempered by the quality of the album content itself. Most were hoping for Arrival #2- myself included.

I have always believed that a lot of "modern" mixes are actually DPLII encoded in a way...
In this case, maybe it isn't but my educated guess is that , if it decodes really well with the SM , there is a LOT of out of phase info in the stereo mix which in a way is the guys in ABBA doing "their version" of a "surround mix"...so much for them stating "we do not believe in Surround"... oh well...
According to their engineer (Michael B. Tretow), he, Bjorn, and Benny are not interested in mixing in surround. They don't feel it's needed. Any surround effects we get from their albums are purely random. Michael was very adamant about the subject. I wish I had saved my email exchange with him. If I could suggest another track that sounds great when decoded, "Should I Laugh or Cry" is amazing in DPL2, or the Involve mode of the SM.

I'm not using DPLII, neither I have SM, but when enabling DSU upmixer in quite a lot of Stereo CDs they perform very good with really discrete sounds going to the rears.

I have always wonder if the mixing 'out of phase' for stereo to sound good and deep is just casuality or it is done intentionally using matrix techniques to take profit of the different up-mixer technology around.

I listen to everything via Dolby or DTS upmixers (it's a rare occasion for me to listen to anything for enjoyment in pure stereo) and have also often wondered why some stereo recordings upmix very convincingly while others show little enhancement. Mostly I cannot predict which stereo recordings will upmix well or poorly just by listening to them in 2 channel, although those with the greatest channel separation seem to generally upmix better. Have sound engineers quantified exactly what in a stereo recording upmixes well, and what does not, without affecting the stereo sound played back in 2 channel? It's also unclear whether the quality of the upmixer or the character of the recording makes the most difference. It's just a shame that all stereo recordings aren't done in a way that better supports upmixing. Since I paid for all these speakers and amps, I want to hear them ALL the time.

image.jpg

Interested in C-Pop? There is a ton of Atmos music in Chinese under Lunar New Year!

20220129_141821.jpg

Listening via Smyth Realiser A16 with my 24 Channel Dutch and Dutch 8c... Fabulous!

Lots of action going on...

Screenshot_20220129-191453_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I listen to everything via Dolby or DTS upmixers (it's a rare occasion for me to listen to anything for enjoyment in pure stereo) and have also often wondered why some stereo recordings upmix very convincingly while others show little enhancement. Mostly I cannot predict which stereo recordings will upmix well or poorly just by listening to them in 2 channel, although those with the greatest channel separation seem to generally upmix better. Have sound engineers quantified exactly what in a stereo recording upmixes well, and what does not, without affecting the stereo sound played back in 2 channel? It's also unclear whether the quality of the upmixer or the character of the recording makes the most difference. It's just a shame that all stereo recordings aren't done in a way that better supports upmixing. Since I paid for all these speakers and amps, I want to hear them ALL the time.
One thing is how different instruments are panned. A lot of older recordings are all over the place and upmix very well (with software-I don't really use the upmix modes on the AVR a lot)
I don't know how well it will upmix with the AVR functions, but with SPEC & Plogue Bidule older stuff such as Spirit - The Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus is amazing.
Any of the Phil Specter "wall of sound" crap sucks as far as separation (my opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back