Listening to Now In DSD Downloads - Multichannel, Stereo or Mono

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening now to a real fine album, little countryish, melancholy, exceptional 5.1 surround, guitars with pedal steel, fantastic.
Crossing by David Elias.
"Crossing" was a concept that evolved from its predecessor project "The Window" (2003) by extending the use of minimal tracks (8) and mics to capture the ambient characteristics and nuances of live studio performance sessions created by an acoustic band consisting of guitar, mandolin, dobro, upright bass and drums."
DSD 64 MCH.
View attachment 39881

Markie, I have both albums on mch SACD [DSD64] and concur ... they're both a breath of fresh air.

Another 5.1, DSD256. Very interesting, lots of bells, violin. A little haunting but soothing at same time. Needs to be played a little louder to get the soft subtle notes to be appreciated.
Two tracks 40:51 and 16:52.
Riley - Four Four Three (2016)
Riley
Ragazze Quartet

Another 5.1, DSD256. Very interesting, lots of bells, violin. A little haunting but soothing at same time. Needs to be played a little louder to get the soft subtle notes to be appreciated.
Two tracks 40:51 and 16:52.
Riley - Four Four Three (2016)
Riley
Ragazze Quartet
View attachment 39883

That's an interesting one in DSD Surround Sound. Available on Stereo CD as well (not on SACD).
The compositions of Terry Riley are very avante garde. Here they are played by the Ragazze Quartet with a percussion group (Slagwerk Den Haag) and an "unusual Jazz Trio" (Kapok).

Producer and Engineer Jared Sacks decided to record the album in 360 degree, fully immersive Surround Sound.
He talks about the album - and his Surround Sound approach on the Native DSD Blog Producer Notes.

The Music of Terry Riley in DSD Multichannel

I would like to tell you about a special project that is being released this week of music by Terry Riley. The Ragazze Quartet collaborates with Slagwerk Den Haag: a percussion ensemble of 4 players, and Kapok: a jazz trio. Hence the title ‘Four Four Three’.

On setting up the Riley ‘In C’ for 8 players, it was clear that we should record this 40 minute work in complete multichannel, which resulted in the group playing in a circle with the microphones in the middle. This has created an amazing audio spectrum when listening in full multichannel. One is literally sitting in the middle with the audio of all speakers surrounding you.

Turn down the lights, have a sip of wine to relax you, and let the music of Terry Riley give you a complete audio experience.

-- Jared Sacks

It's in my collection. Recommended for immersive Surround Sound fans. (Definitely not an ambient mix/performance).

http://blog.nativedsd.com/full-multichannel-dsd/
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...tra-or-ambient-hall-multichannel-mixes.26449/
https://www.stereophile.com/content/terry-rileys-music-its-most-sensational

Last edited:
I am not listening now but I purchased these 5 DSD Downloads today. I really love these and the ease of buying very high quality great sounding music, sometimes not available in SACD. These 5 are all stereo which I enjoy just as much as surround. All purchased from Acoustic Sounds. I will listen to them shortly.
Dizzy Gillespi-Sonny Rollins DSD256
Donald Byrd DSD64
Elvin Jones DSD64
Dick Haymes DSD256
Frank Sinatra DSD64

I am not listening now but I purchased these 5 DSD Downloads today. I really love these and the ease of buying very high quality great sounding music, sometimes not available in SACD. These 5 are all stereo which I enjoy just as much as surround. All purchased from Acoustic Sounds. I will listen to them shortly.
Dizzy Gillespi-Sonny Rollins DSD256
Donald Byrd DSD64
Elvin Jones DSD64
Dick Haymes DSD256
Frank Sinatra DSD64
View attachment 40388
View attachment 40384View attachment 40385View attachment 40386View attachment 40387

Interesting Sinatra selection....every song has a form of "moon" in it...

Interesting Sinatra selection....every song has a form of "moon" in it...
I will listen to that next, to be honest with you Clinty, I am not a Sinatra fan, way before my time and he ain't rock n' roll, BUT it was in DSD and they all sound so good. I am 63 and I have some older friends and relatives so I needed at least one Sinatra in case any of the oldsters came over.
Listening now to the fantastic drumming of Elvin Jones, and I am folding laundry in front of the rig.

Oh my God, I am listening to Frank Sinatra for the first time in my life, ugh. Wait, I have a Christmas CD. It's alright, I guess. The DSD release is perfect in sonic quality.
I think I prefer Sammy Davis Jr.

I will listen to that next, to be honest with you Clinty, I am not a Sinatra fan, way before my time and he ain't rock n' roll, BUT it was in DSD and they all sound so good. I am 63 and I have some older friends and relatives so I needed at least one Sinatra in case any of the oldsters came over.
Listening now to the fantastic drumming of Elvin Jones, and I am folding laundry in front of the rig.
View attachment 40389

Just to let you know...Dick Haymes is the same era as Sinatra...in fact he replaced Frank in the Tommy Dorsey band...he had 3 number 1 songs in the 1940's...you can tell those "older friends" that Dick had another remarkable achievement...one of his 6 wives was Rita Hayworth...Dick was also an actor :)

Oh my God, I am listening to Frank Sinatra for the first time in my life, ugh. Wait, I have a Christmas CD. It's alright, I guess. The DSD release is perfect in sonic quality.
I think I prefer Sammy Davis Jr.View attachment 40392

I love Frank...but I probably wouldn't like those songs either...that's why I was curious why you got that title.....

Well, I can tell you it sounds like Frank of course, an undeniable voice. But there is too much strings for me, I would prefer a little less, maybe I will have to educate myself.

My three favorite Sinatra albums, Markie and Clinty are: ONLY THE LONELY, The Concert Sinatra and It Was A Very Good Year! But, IMO, none of the Sinatra albums are shabby.

See the source image

Also brilliant, IMO!

Just to let you know...Dick Haymes is the same era as Sinatra...in fact he replaced Frank in the Tommy Dorsey band...he had 3 number 1 songs in the 1940's...you can tell those "older friends" that Dick had another remarkable achievement...one of his 6 wives was Rita Hayworth...Dick was also an actor :)

Yes, Haymes was one of the "crooners" back in the day.
From the NativeDSD Music on Facebook page:

Listening to the new Vanessa Fernandez album I Want You in Stereo DSD 256 and DSD 512.

It's a follow-up to Use Me, her Soul Classics tribute album. This one has the title track (originally recorded by Marvin Gaye) along with a number of soul and pop classics.
Highly recommended!

I Want You by Vanessa Fernandez is her third DSD release at Native DSD Music. This album from the team at Groove Note sees Vanessa return to the '70s R&B classics and modern soul catalog that she delivered so very well on her debut album Use Me but with the addition of some Pop hits as well from the likes of Radiohead and Rag & Bone Man. I Want You includes songs made famous by Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Gloria Gaynor, Amy Winehouse, and Hall & Oates.

The album was recorded at United Recording Studios (former known as Oceanway Studios) in Hollywood and was mixed at Sphere Studios in Burbank and Capital Recording Studios in Hollywood. All recording, tracking and mixing was done 100% analog. Michael C. Ross recorded the album in United Recording Studio B over four days on a 24 track Studer Recorder using 2 inch analog tape running at 30 ips. The final 30 ips 1/4 inch stereo master was used by Bernie Grundman to create the Stereo DSD 64 master.

Tim Pierce handled all the arrangements as on the first two Vanessa Fernandez albums. Musicians on I Want You include former Michael Jackson bassist Alex Al, current Jimmy Kimmel Show Band keyboardist Jeff Babko, top L.A.-based horn player Ricky Woodard as well as returning musicians from her album When The Levee Breaks (Tribute to Music of Led Zeppelin) - also available at NativeDSD Music.

Needless to say, Vanessa and the band deliver some truly exceptional performances on this album with fabulous sonics. Some say it is her best album yet. It is a must-own release in DSD.

* NativeDSD makes this recording available for the first time as a DSD Download
* NativeDSD exclusively offers this recording as DSD 128, DSD 256, and DSD 512 Downloads (see Tech Specs for more info).

https://groovenote.nativedsd.com/albums/GRV1200-i-want-you

Back